Creating a file in WinZip
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:34
German to English
Jun 24, 2005

I have WinZip 8.1 but very rarely use it. Now I've got about 10 files that I'd like to send to a client but have forgotten how to create a Zip file and mail it. I right-clicked on one of the files and was offered a number of options: add to Zip file, etc. But I can find nothing on creating a new Zip file. Your help would be appreciated.
Kim

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 20:34
English to German
+ ...
you should find the .zip file in the winzip.exe default location Jun 24, 2005

Which is to say, like any program winzip also stores the files in zipped format in a particular location. Ok do this. Mark all the 10 files and right klick, and you will see various options, under which also create an archive, here you must mention a particular name for the zipped files and a location c:\winzzip\somezip.zip or c:\myzip\klientzip.zip etc., Then you can see the zipped folder precisely in the same folder in which your files are located, ie., c:\klint´s_files\zips\kimzip.zip. I wis... See more
Which is to say, like any program winzip also stores the files in zipped format in a particular location. Ok do this. Mark all the 10 files and right klick, and you will see various options, under which also create an archive, here you must mention a particular name for the zipped files and a location c:\winzzip\somezip.zip or c:\myzip\klientzip.zip etc., Then you can see the zipped folder precisely in the same folder in which your files are located, ie., c:\klint´s_files\zips\kimzip.zip. I wish that were easier to explain. Good luck, Brandis - BTW the current archive can be found with the help of the search function in windows XP Start-> right-click->search->*.zip on c:\ or in a partition etc.,Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:34
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Creating a file in WinZip Jun 24, 2005

Hi Brandis, thanks for your help. I guess I should have written that I needed instructions for idiots. Just now I marked the files by holding down the Ctrl key, then right-clicking to see WinZip and then selecting Zip and E-Mail Plus. That did the trick. Hope you have a nice weekend. Kim

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Create first a folder Jun 24, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Hi Brandis, thanks for your help. I guess I should have written that I needed instructions for idiots. Just now I marked the files by holding down the Ctrl key, then right-clicking to see WinZip and then selecting Zip and E-Mail Plus. That did the trick. Hope you have a nice weekend. Kim

Put your files inside and zip this folder. It is better than 10 zipped files.

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
UltimateZip Jun 24, 2005

Hallo Kim,

UltimateZip (Freeware) is really 'idiotensicher'. You need only to click on the document or the file and zip.

www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm - 14k

Geneviève:)

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I am glad you could solve Jun 24, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

Kann nicht dafür, ich hatte 15 Jahre in Erwachsenenbildung doziert. schönes Wochenende ebenfalls. Brandis

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You're not the idiot Jun 25, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

They really blew it when they put those names on the menu items. I spent over a quarter century in computers and IT, so I usually go "damn the torpedoes", so I find what I want. Unless you're willing to do that, some of the user interface will frustrate you.

There really is no excuse for this sort of thing after all these years.

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
alternative with Windows XP Jun 25, 2005

If you're running XP, there's an even simpler alternative: put all the files in a folder, then right-click on the folder, select 'send to', and select 'compressed (zipped) folder'.
This works just as well on individual files: right click on the file, ...

[Edited at 2005-06-25 21:08]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
you can also zip an ship Jun 26, 2005

yes, there is this option, just zip all files with a right-click and select send mail, it will land in a mail client as an attach.Rgds, Brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a file in WinZip

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »