Thread poster: Vanessa Rivera Rivier
Vanessa Rivera Rivier
Vanessa Rivera Rivier  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 00:07
Italian to English
+ ...
Jul 20, 2005

I have a document to translated but is all in a JPG format (scanned). Is there a program that can count word with this type of file or do I have to do it all myself?

Thanks in advance

Warm (well,hot) greetings from Puerto Rico

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search the forum for "OCR software" Jul 20, 2005

Hi Vanessa,
I suggest you use the forum search, using "OCR software" as a search phrase (there are several thousands of results when searching for the two words "OCR" and "software").

HTH, Ral

PS "OCR" = optical character recognition

kimjasper
kimjasper  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2006)
English to Danish
+ ...
OCR may be too time-consuming Jul 20, 2005

Vanessa,

my best guess is that it will not be worth the effort installing OCR, doing the conversion and then the word count - and I don't think it would be accurate anyway. Usually OCR package require a lot of tuning before they can do a proper job.
I would sample some pages, count the words manually and extrapolate from that.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Cannot agree there Jul 20, 2005

We do use OCR for word count- if the file have come by fax, to be honest with the client, we delete the fax headers after exporting the result to Word, but leave the rest. And keep the file- however unintelligible, very useful sometimes, if there are questions regarding the source wordcount from the client-

*eevn if wrods in recquknsed text ara distroted bynodn recknognition,*

the wordcount, none the less, is correct.

Uldis

Kim Jasper wrote:

Vanessa,

my best guess is that it will not be worth the effort installing OCR, doing the conversion and then the word count - and I don't think it would be accurate anyway. Usually OCR package require a lot of tuning before they can do a proper job.
I would sample some pages, count the words manually and extrapolate from that.

PT_Spain
PT_Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
OCR Jul 21, 2005

OCR sometimes splits words: th ere are sev era l wordsth at

So this can alter the word count.

You can use it anyway to have an approximate word count. It will depend on the legibility of the document to be scanned, the better it can be read, the more accurate since the OCR will recognize the words, hence not splitting them.

OCR also recognizes any symbol or drawing and will try to convert it into text.

The best way to do it is counting the targ
... See more

You can use it anyway to have an approximate word count. It will depend on the legibility of the document to be scanned, the better it can be read, the more accurate since the OCR will recognize the words, hence not splitting them.

OCR also recognizes any symbol or drawing and will try to convert it into text.

The best way to do it is counting the target language document.
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:07
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Agree to first part Jul 21, 2005

However, if you will count about any Word document using Word word count, Trados, Practicount or Anycount, you also will get widely differing results.

Advantage of counting source words is that you can receive/issue a PO with precise sum *before* starting the job. Actually I haven't met any clients/service providers in last few years who count target.

Uldis

PT_Spain wrote:

(snip)

The best way to do it is counting the target language document.

Marina Herrera
Marina Herrera
United States
Local time: 18:07
French to English
+ ...
Full Acrobat converts to Word Jul 21, 2005

[quote]Vanessa Rivera Rivier wrote:

I have a document to translated but is all in a JPG format (scanned). Is there a program that can count word with this type of file or do I have to do it all myself?

Thanks in advance

Warm (well,hot) greetings from Puerto Rico

[If you have full acrobat you can convert the doc to a Word doc and get the count. Know however that depending on the quality of the scan the word count can't be too accurate. Another solution is to tell your client that you don't have an accurate count in English and if that's the agreed upon measure you used for the quote, then tell him you're using the translated count minus 8 to 10% which is the average difference between Eng. and Sp. lenght.
Marina]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Jpg-File Word Count

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »