https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/35006-is_it_possible_to_convert_a_pdf_into_framemaker_pagemaker_format.html

Is it possible to convert a .pdf into Framemaker/Pagemaker format?
Thread poster: Eduardo Cano Rodríguez
Eduardo Cano Rodríguez
Eduardo Cano Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:26
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2005

Hello,

I have received a project in .pdf format and was wondering whether is possible or not to convert it to Framemaker or Pagemaker. I do not have the possibility to ask the client for the file, as his customer does not seem very willing to do this. Probably what I am asking is too weird, but I will receive a high output of .pdf documents and I am trying to get a solution to work using Trados on this type of jobs.

I also receive a cd with .eps files, are them from Ven
... See more
Hello,

I have received a project in .pdf format and was wondering whether is possible or not to convert it to Framemaker or Pagemaker. I do not have the possibility to ask the client for the file, as his customer does not seem very willing to do this. Probably what I am asking is too weird, but I will receive a high output of .pdf documents and I am trying to get a solution to work using Trados on this type of jobs.

I also receive a cd with .eps files, are them from Ventura? If so, I think that there is a Trados plugin to translate documents in Ventura, isn't it?

Thanks in advance!!
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:26
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Offer discount if the client puts forward the original files Jul 23, 2005

There is nothing that could convert a pdf into a dtp-file. Its the client that loses in the end. If the translators get the original file for use in Trados, the result is much easier to use at the dtp-stage, so clients are stupid when using pdf as source for the translation process. Always charge more when you get pdf-files only. That should teach them sooner or later.

Regards
Heinrich

Eduardo Cano Rodríguez
Eduardo Cano Rodríguez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:26
Member (2011)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 24, 2005

Dear Heinrich,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. Unhopefully, the client does not seem very willing to try to get the files in their original format, what results in an increase on the final price of my translation, as I also have to do the conversion from PDF to text.

Best,

Edu.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it possible to convert a .pdf into Framemaker/Pagemaker format?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »