https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/35013-where_to_turn_the_pop_up_blocker_on_off.html

Where to turn the pop-up blocker on/off
Thread poster: Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:08
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 23, 2005

Hello,

I have Windows Internet Explorer 5.0 in Spanish and need to turn the pop-up blocker function off.

I have been told to get to the "Tools" menu and select "Options". Then select the "Privacy" tab and at the bottom there should be the option to turn the Popup blocker on or off.

There is no such option there. In the Advanced Options tab, there are many options, but cannot find that one.

I need to proof a webpage and just cannot continue beca
... See more
Hello,

I have Windows Internet Explorer 5.0 in Spanish and need to turn the pop-up blocker function off.

I have been told to get to the "Tools" menu and select "Options". Then select the "Privacy" tab and at the bottom there should be the option to turn the Popup blocker on or off.

There is no such option there. In the Advanced Options tab, there are many options, but cannot find that one.

I need to proof a webpage and just cannot continue because of the pop-up blocker function being on. I have deactivated my firewall as well, but the problem remains...

Thanks for helping!
Blanca.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:08
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Blanca Jul 23, 2005

I don't remeber where exactly was this function in IE5, but in IE6 it is not in Tools>Options but directly in Tools: Tools>Pop-up window blocking.

P.S. Probably IE 5 doesn't include pop-up blocking at all

[Edited at 2005-07-23 21:42]

Yuri Yuri
Yuri Yuri
Local time: 09:08
English to Russian
+ ...
maybe it's not the IE Jul 24, 2005

Hello,Blanca
I have doubts that IE has pop-up blocking, I have had IE 5.5 and now am using IE 6.0.2800 - but there's no built-in pop-up blocking (The menu Natalie pointed to has no such item in my IE). On the other hand I've installed Google Toolbar (plug-in for IE) and it indeed has the popup blocking function. Maybe you too have some kind of add-in to your IE that actually blocks the popups? Or it maybe your antispyware, antivirus (of course even if it's so don't turn off the antivirus)
... See more
Hello,Blanca
I have doubts that IE has pop-up blocking, I have had IE 5.5 and now am using IE 6.0.2800 - but there's no built-in pop-up blocking (The menu Natalie pointed to has no such item in my IE). On the other hand I've installed Google Toolbar (plug-in for IE) and it indeed has the popup blocking function. Maybe you too have some kind of add-in to your IE that actually blocks the popups? Or it maybe your antispyware, antivirus (of course even if it's so don't turn off the antivirus). Today many such packages come in bundles - Norton Security suite, McAfee suite where popup blocking is included and turned on by default.

Yes,indeed - thanks to Hynek, only starting with SP2 IE 6 supports popup blocking
Reference:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx

[Edited at 2005-07-24 11:29]

[Edited at 2005-07-24 11:30]
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Not in IE 5 Jul 24, 2005

IE 5 doesn't support pop-up blocking, it was only introduced in IE 6 SP 2. (I recommend installing it instead of IE 5, it's really outdated.) You have probably another pop-up blocker installed, maybe Google Toolbar?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hold down CTRL and click on the link Jul 24, 2005

Even if your pop-up blocker is activated, you can manually bypass the pop-up blocker software by pressing and holding the CTRL button and clicking on the link. This should open the link you want while still preventing undesirable pop-ups.

[Edited at 2005-07-24 18:08]

Blanca Amoroso
Blanca Amoroso  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you!! Jul 24, 2005

Thanks to your comments I realized it was the Yahoo toolbar which was blocking pop-ups. It has such an option.

I really appreciate your help!
Thank you,
Blanca.

esaxon33
esaxon33  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
use mozilla instead Jul 25, 2005

Hi,

If you do not want spyware in your computer and other worms, use Mozilla Firefox instead. And it has integrated popup blocker as well.

Just an advice, I do not want to make any ad for firefox

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where to turn the pop-up blocker on/off

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »