Maurizio Valente  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 11, 2005

... without having Visio installed.

I have to edit text in a lot of flow charts created by Microsoft Visio
Drawing and embedded in a MS Word file, but I do not have Visio installed. When I double-click a drawing (in Word) I cannot edit the text on triangles, squares etc.

Does someone of you know a workaround?

[Edited at 2005-09-11 05:22]

Christine Biloré
Christine Biloré  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:36
English to French
+ ...
maybe this will help.... Sep 11, 2005

I've just found some info on how to convert Visio files to be used (so edited) with ConceptDraw. You can dowload a trial version of this software, there's also something about converting XML visio files into ConceptDraw files. I don't know if it will help but have a look here:

http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/resources/faq/cd.php#12

Good luck!

Chri
... See more
I've just found some info on how to convert Visio files to be used (so edited) with ConceptDraw. You can dowload a trial version of this software, there's also something about converting XML visio files into ConceptDraw files. I don't know if it will help but have a look here:

http://www.conceptdraw.com/en/resources/faq/cd.php#12

Good luck!

Christine
Collapse

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
German to English
+ ...
I think this can't be done directly, but... Sep 11, 2005

Unless you can find some other application that can edit Visio drawings you either need to install Visio on your computer (and then learn how to use it) or you have to supply the translations to the client in some other format.

One possibility could be this:
Use Word's own drawing tools to create text boxes with the sizes and positions that superimpose them on the Visio drawings. Give the text boxes the "no line" attribute and zero internal text margins. You may be able to pos
... See more
Unless you can find some other application that can edit Visio drawings you either need to install Visio on your computer (and then learn how to use it) or you have to supply the translations to the client in some other format.

One possibility could be this:
Use Word's own drawing tools to create text boxes with the sizes and positions that superimpose them on the Visio drawings. Give the text boxes the "no line" attribute and zero internal text margins. You may be able to position the text boxes relative to the Visio objects, which would be preferable to positioning them relative to the pages on which they will appear.
You are then supplying a document that looks like the translation that is wanted but it still in fact contains the original Visio object.

Oliver
Collapse

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:36
French to English
+ ...
TagEditor Sep 12, 2005

I see from your profile that you have Trados - you should be able to open the whole file (or just the embedded Visio bits) in TagEditor and translate them using this. If you need to check the result, you can download the Visio Viewer free from Microsoft and open the files using this, then put them back into the Word doc.

Hope this helps.

Paul Thomas
Paul Thomas
Germany
German to English
Bite the bullet and buy Visio Sep 19, 2005

No way round this ... bite the bullet and buy Visio. It amazes me the number of folks who want something for nothing!

Maurizio Valente wrote:

... without having Visio installed.

I have to edit text in a lot of flow charts created by Microsoft Visio
Drawing and embedded in a MS Word file, but I do not have Visio installed. When I double-click a drawing (in Word) I cannot edit the text on triangles, squares etc.

Does someone of you know a workaround?

[Edited at 2005-09-11 05:22]

Maurizio Valente
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Not feasible Sep 19, 2005

I have dowloaded and installed Visio 2003 (30-day trial). Now editing is possibile.

I gave up the optimal solution, ie finding a way to export the whole text from my 100+ drawings, translate it with a CAT tool and re-import the text into the drawings. (It would be a big time-saver, because most sentences are already in my TM).
But there's more: manual editing it is a real nightmare.

Editing one or two drawings is OK. But when you have to cope with hundreds of the
... See more
I have dowloaded and installed Visio 2003 (30-day trial). Now editing is possibile.

I gave up the optimal solution, ie finding a way to export the whole text from my 100+ drawings, translate it with a CAT tool and re-import the text into the drawings. (It would be a big time-saver, because most sentences are already in my TM).
But there's more: manual editing it is a real nightmare.

Editing one or two drawings is OK. But when you have to cope with hundreds of them it turns out to be an extremely slow and prone-to-error process. I have a 19" display with 1280 x 1024 resolution, but even so characters are so small that many errors (misspells) are missed.

Netiquette prevents me from commenting your comment ("It amazes me the number of folks who want something for nothing!"). I just wish to invite you to read more carefully.

[quote]Paul Thomas wrote:

No way round this ... bite the bullet and buy Visio. It amazes me the number of folks who want something for nothing!

[Edited at 2005-09-19 13:30]

[Edited at 2005-09-19 13:31]

[Edited at 2005-09-19 13:32]
Collapse

Maurizio Valente
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Thank you, Angela but ... Sep 19, 2005

... I cannot understand how. I tried to use Transmission for Visio in order to convert text in a drawing into a ttx file, but it only converts the first caption, ie the ttx file doesn't contain caption#2, #3 etc..

Please note also that when you double click a drawing in order to make it editable (no other way), Trados menu is no more available.

Angela Dickson wrote:

I see from your profile that you have Trados - you should be able to open the whole file (or just the embedded Visio bits) in TagEditor and translate them using this. If you need to check the result, you can download the Visio Viewer free from Microsoft and open the files using this, then put them back into the Word doc.

Hope this helps.

Maurizio Valente
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Solution found - The following procedure works Oct 6, 2005

The following procedure allowed me to translate all drawings at one time with DejaVu.

Procedure for translating MS Visio drawings (such as flow charts) embedded in MS Word files:

You need Sysfilter for Visio(http://www.ecm-engineering.de/catalog/index.php?language=en – 189 euros – 28-day free trial) and, of course, Visio (30-day free trial).
... See more
The following procedure allowed me to translate all drawings at one time with DejaVu.

Procedure for translating MS Visio drawings (such as flow charts) embedded in MS Word files:

You need Sysfilter for Visio(http://www.ecm-engineering.de/catalog/index.php?language=en – 189 euros – 28-day free trial) and, of course, Visio (30-day free trial).

Sysfilter for Visio extracts text from vsd files and pastes it in rtf files. These files also contain additional information that will be used when carrying out the reverse operation, ie updating vsd files with translated text. This additional information can be make hidden by a special option, so DejaVu will ignore it when the rtf files are imported (provided that Ignore hidden text has been checked).

Sysfilter for Visio can also batch process hundreds of vsd files at one time. Its also features word count capabilities.

*Vsd file generation*
1. Launch Visio
2. Open the MS Word doc containing embedded Visio drawings.
3. Extract first drawing from MS Word doc. To locate this, use F5.
4. Double-click the 1st drawing, run Copy drawing (right click on the drawing).
5. Alt-tab to switch to Visio.
6. Crtl-N and paste.
5. Alt-tab to return to MS Word. Use F5 to locate drawing #2 etc.

*rtf file generation*
Launch Sysfilter for Visio
Select all vsd drawings and generate rtf file (Export with the option DV selected).

Now rtf files can be imported into DejaVu (Ignore hidden text must be checked). Translate and export from DejaVu.
Launch Sysfilter for Visio, select all rtf drawings and generate updated vsd files (Export).
Paste new vsd drawings into MS Word.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
can it be done with TagEditor as well then? Oct 9, 2005

Maurizio Valente wrote:
...You need Sysfilter for Visio(http://www.ecm-engineering.de/catalog/index.php?language=en – 189 euros – 28-day free trial) and, of course, Visio (30-day free trial).

Sysfilter for Visio extracts text from vsd files and pastes it in rtf files....

... which means, one could do this with TRADOS as well?

Re "something for nothing" - the world is full of "nothing for something" cases, ie of software paid for and not doing what the buyer wanted. I had a similar case with 90.000 words in Quark Express:

Did I need QXP to do DP? !NO! - ie as little as you would need Visio to draw nice diagrams.

Did I need QXP to get at the contents of those files? Unfortunately yes. And the demo version did not cut it.

Sysfilter - a good ref, thanks.

Regards

smo

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:36
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Old problem, still unsolved? May 9, 2012

This is a very old thread so obviously a very old problem. Is there any solution yet? I have just received a major job with multiple Visio flowcharts embedded in Word documents. Although I have quite a few CAT programs, I have yet to see a solution. Any ideas, after this many years?

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try this May 9, 2012

Was told in an earlier thread that this does not work for Word 2007, but it couldn't hurt to try:

"Written by Jeff Whittaker - Nov 7, 2005

To edit Pictures and Graphs in Word (created with VISIO TOOLS, for example):

a) Go to the graphic image in Word and click on it. A black box should appear around the image.

b) Press Shift-Ctrl-F9 simultaneously.

c) A Box with the word PICTURE should appear.

d) Click the RIGHT mouse
... See more
Was told in an earlier thread that this does not work for Word 2007, but it couldn't hurt to try:

a) Go to the graphic image in Word and click on it. A black box should appear around the image.

d) Click the RIGHT mouse button anywhere inside the graphic image.

e) A menu should appear. Select the EDIT PICTURE option.

f) You can now click on the text in the picture and edit it. You do not have to repeat this procedure the next time you open the file.

John Fossey wrote:

This is a very old thread so obviously a very old problem. Is there any solution yet? I have just received a major job with multiple Visio flowcharts embedded in Word documents. Although I have quite a few CAT programs, I have yet to see a solution. Any ideas, after this many years?
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Didn't work properly May 9, 2012

All I get is placeholder marks at the corners and centre of the object.

I get a "thunk" sound from the speakers, the same as pressing on a wrong button.

Nothing happens

When I do this, the menu options are:

Dessin Microsoft Visio Object > Convert
Grouping > Ungroup
Order >

"Convert" just gave the warning that the application (presumably Visio) could not be found.

I Ungrouped the object and although the text placeholders appeared, all the text vanished.
I undid the action and the text reappeared, but now the option EDIT PICTURE was shown.

f) You can now click on the text in the picture and edit it. You do not have to repeat this procedure the next time you open the file.

However, when I select EDIT PICTURE, all the text vanishes again and the option is now ADD TEXT. There's no option to recover the text that disappeared - the only way to get it back is to undo the action.

So evidently something is happening here, just not the right thing.

The strange thing is that although there is evidently text there (since all the text placeholders appear when ungrouped), the filters in CAT tools such as Studio studiously ignore it.

[/quote]

xyztranslations
xyztranslations
Local time: 04:36
English to Romanian
+ ...
Late but well deserved "Thank you!". It works and saved me a lot of trouble - and money, I suppose. Jul 4, 2013

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

John Fossey wrote:

Auste Tamulynaite
Auste Tamulynaite
Local time: 04:36
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Thanks so much! Your trick with shift-ctrl-F9 was very helpful! Feb 5, 2014

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

John Fossey wrote:

Marina Lefler
Marina Lefler
Canada
Local time: 20:36
English to Russian
+ ...
Still works in Word 2013 Sep 10, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Thank you!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to edit flow charts created by MS Visio Drawing and embedded in MS Word

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »