https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/38176-how_i_convert_gif_image_into_text.html

how I convert .gif image into text
Thread poster: keshab
keshab
keshab  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:59
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Oct 23, 2005

Hello everybody!
perhaps this type of problem discussed earlier.But at this moment I need your help.I know that OCR software can convert image into text.But when I am going to translate a comics,a peculiar situation arises.the OCR software( I'm using 'Simple OCR')converts everything into text i.e. alongwith text,picture also converts into characters. How can I translate the text of the comics which is originally in English and have to translate into Indic language?

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:29
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
highlighting only the text portion of the image Oct 23, 2005

Hi Keshab,

Your OCR program should allow you to highlight only some portions of the image. So, instead of applying the OCR to the whole image, you'd have to select only the text you need and leave out the images. Unfortunately, this can be a very time-consuming task.

I Hope it helps.

Juan Luis

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Upgrade to GOCR, and blank out the images Oct 24, 2005

keshab wrote:
But when I am going to translate a comics,a peculiar situation arises, the OCR software (I'm using 'Simple OCR') converts everything into text ie alongwith text, picture also converts into characters.

Which version of SimpleORC are you using? AFAIK, SimpleOCR is built on the GOCR engine, and GOCR is free (open source). In fact, AFAIK GOCR's newest engine isn't even used in SimpleOCR (correct me if I'm wrong). So why not download GOCR and give it a go?

To use GOCR, you'll need to have your image in PNM format, but that can be done using DJPEG, using the command:
djpeg -gray -pnm foo.jpg > foo.pnm
The command for GOCR is:
gocr -i foo.pnm -o foo.txt

But first, open the image in a program that can edit the image (if you're using Windows, you can convert the image to BMP and then edit with MS Paint). Turn the images into white blocks so that only the text is visible. Then do the OCR on it.

http://jocr.sourceforge.net/ (latest version)
http://www.seeingwithsound.com/ocr/djpeg.exe (could be an old version, I couldn't find the home page now)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

how I convert .gif image into text

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »