Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Best Pdf software
Thread poster: Angel_7

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
Jan 25, 2006

I know that there are various different downloadable pdf packages on the internet. I am looking for something that will not only convert pdf documents to Word but will convert Word documents to pdf format. Does anyone have any idea what is the best?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Chen Star
Local time: 20:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
I suggest PDF factory Jan 26, 2006

Hi£¬

you can use PDF factory.

If u want to make a pdf file from a word file,just print the file into a PDF printer,then u get it!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
German to English
Adobe Acrobat Jan 26, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:

I know that there are various different downloadable pdf packages on the internet. I am looking for something that will not only convert pdf documents to Word but will convert Word documents to pdf format. Does anyone have any idea what is the best?


Yes, I find Adobe Acrobat very useful in this respect. Or am I being too obvious?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
English to German
+ ...
Re: conversion of Word docs to pdf format Jan 26, 2006

Hi,

I almost never have to convert Word to pdf but do a lot of conversions the other way round.

I use OpenOffice's Office Suit. The word processing application that comes with OpenOffice opens Word files as well and it has this option to "export the current file to pdf".
You can then either save the whole file as pdf or just single pages, whatever you wish. It also offers you three different options of saving the file - each of them optimized for a particular purpose (viewing onscreen, printing etc.) and thus creating a larger or smaller file size.

I'm working very well with OpenOffice and since it is freeware you don't even have to pay for this conversion program.

Good Luck!

Barbara


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
English to German
+ ...
Forgot to mention... Jan 26, 2006

... that OpenOffice converts Excel and Powerpoint as well to pdf (should the need for such a conversion arise).

Best,
Barbara


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Adobe Acrobat Jan 26, 2006

Alan Johnson wrote:

Sarah390 wrote:

I know that there are various different downloadable pdf packages on the internet. I am looking for something that will not only convert pdf documents to Word but will convert Word documents to pdf format. Does anyone have any idea what is the best?


Yes, I find Adobe Acrobat very useful in this respect. Or am I being too obvious?


Alan, of course I have considered this but it is extremely expensive for someone like myself just starting out as a translator, having to buy lots of other items like dictionaries, scanners, fax machines etc. with the possibilty of getting very little work in the first year of trading. Also, I have been told that you cannot convert a pdf document to a Word document using Adobe unless you have the originator's password for the document, and I may not necessarily have this?

Many thanks.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Barbara Wiegel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
English to German
+ ...
Ooops! my mistake Jan 26, 2006

Barbara Wiegel wrote:

Hi,

I almost never have to convert Word to pdf but do a lot of conversions the other way round.



Just noticed my mistake above - of course I meant that I almost never convert any pdf files to word docs. The other way round, however, (namely: word to pdf) is much more common and frequently done.

Best,
Barbara


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
German to English
Password protection Jan 26, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:

Also, I have been told that you cannot convert a pdf document to a Word document using Adobe unless you have the originator's password for the document, and I may not necessarily have this?

Many thanks.


Well, that would only apply if the originator actually used a password to protect the document (most do not). In which case, this restriction would probably apply to any conversion application. On the other hand, under what circumstances would you be translating a file for which the originator was not willing to either provide the password, or a non-protected version? It's never happened to me. In fact, I've never had a password-protected pdf file to translate. Still, to keep to the point, OpenOffice is probably your best bet for converting TO pdf, as already mentioned. You can work in Word, import to OOo (OpenOffice.org) and convert to pdf.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
OpenOffice.org, and any good OCR package Jan 26, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:
I am looking for something that will not only convert pdf documents to Word...


For this, you'll need to feed the PDF to an OCR package that has this feature. I think FineReader can do it... just ask the vendor (and test it).


...but will convert Word documents to pdf format.


Either use OpenOffice.org, which is 99% safe because you'll have to first convert the MS Word document to OpenDocument format, or use the instructions here: http://kenchiro.tripod.com/howtoPDF.html (I use the Redmon variation quite successfully, to print to editable PDF, especially when I want to extract text from applications that can't save the text in any useful format, such as our inhouse classifieds billing system).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Open Office Jan 26, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sarah390 wrote:
I am looking for something that will not only convert pdf documents to Word...


For this, you'll need to feed the PDF to an OCR package that has this feature. I think FineReader can do it... just ask the vendor (and test it).


...but will convert Word documents to pdf format.


Either use OpenOffice.org, which is 99% safe because you'll have to first convert the MS Word document to OpenDocument format, or use the instructions here: http://kenchiro.tripod.com/howtoPDF.html (I use the Redmon variation quite successfully, to print to editable PDF, especially when I want to extract text from applications that can't save the text in any useful format, such as our inhouse classifieds billing system).


I have just downloaded Open Office and don't have a clue how to use it. By the way, I don't know what you mean by the Redmon variation.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Acrobat Standard vs Professional Jan 26, 2006

Alan, can I convert a pdf document to a Word document using Acrobat Standard or do I need the professional version? I have just been told in PC World that Acrobat will only convert Word files to pdf but not vice-versa, in which case paying for it would not only be pricey, but a waste of money.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
German to English
Works both ways Jan 26, 2006

But with limitations...

Sarah390 wrote:

Alan, can I convert a pdf document to a Word document using Acrobat Standard or do I need the professional version? I have just been told in PC World that Acrobat will only convert Word files to pdf but not vice-versa, in which case paying for it would not only be pricey, but a waste of money.


You certainly seem to get some dodgy information, Sarah. Acrobat Standard (which I use) will convert to a wide variety of different formats, including Word format (doc). The only question is how good is the result. Well, it does leave room for improvement, that's certain, and the more complex the formatting and layout of the pdf file, the less attractive will be the result of the conversion. But it will often give you a good starting point. You will _almost_ always need to do some preparation before being able to translate. However, in defense of Acrobat, I have tried a number of products for converting pdf to doc and have not yet found one that does the job 100%. The best thing to do is to tell clients that pdf costs 20% more. You wouldn't believe how often that "we don't have one" Word version suddenly turns up!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angel_7  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:07
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Acrobat vs. other pdf software Jan 26, 2006

Alan Johnson wrote:

But with limitations...

Sarah390 wrote:

Alan, can I convert a pdf document to a Word document using Acrobat Standard or do I need the professional version? I have just been told in PC World that Acrobat will only convert Word files to pdf but not vice-versa, in which case paying for it would not only be pricey, but a waste of money.


You certainly seem to get some dodgy information, Sarah. Acrobat Standard (which I use) will convert to a wide variety of different formats, including Word format (doc). The only question is how good is the result. Well, it does leave room for improvement, that's certain, and the more complex the formatting and layout of the pdf file, the less attractive will be the result of the conversion. But it will often give you a good starting point. You will _almost_ always need to do some preparation before being able to translate. However, in defense of Acrobat, I have tried a number of products for converting pdf to doc and have not yet found one that does the job 100%. The best thing to do is to tell clients that pdf costs 20% more. You wouldn't believe how often that "we don't have one" Word version suddenly turns up!


Would you say Alan that Acrobat is any better than the other software you have tried?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:07
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How to use OpenOffice and Redmon Jan 26, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
Either use OpenOffice.org ... or use the instructions here: http://kenchiro.tripod.com/howtoPDF.html (I use the Redmon variation...).

I have just downloaded Open Office and don't have a clue how to use it. By the way, I don't know what you mean by the Redmon variation.


Run OpenOffice.org Writer, close the document by clicking the little "x" just beneath the little "x" in the upper right hand corner, then drag-and-drop your MS Word file to the Writer window. This should open the MS Word document. Then, look for an Acrobat-type of icon on the Writer toolbar at the top (the tooltip will read something like "Export to PDF"). Click it.

The Redmon variation is explained near the bottom of the URL I've given in my first post.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:07
German to English
At least as good Jan 29, 2006

Sarah390 wrote:
Would you say Alan that Acrobat is any better than the other software you have tried?


Hi, got carried away with work!

I wouldn't swear that Acrobat is better than all other applications (I've by no means seen them all), but of the ones I know and have tried I would say at least as good. But it also has other advantages:

- you can convert to and from pdf format in one application
- you can convert to a multitude of other formats, not just to rtf, which is what most other applications offer
- it integrates into MS Office applications directly
- you can send almost any type of document from any application to the pdf "printer", thus getting pdf files from almost any program on your computer
- you can download complete websites as pdf files (very useful for instance for studying online glossaries/(bilingual)diccos and other documents and useful websites
- you can edit and review pdf documents, or send for review, and add comments and markups
- you can digitally sign pdf docs
- and a few other things.

All-in-all, I woudn't want to miss it. And I don't think it's THAT expensive.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best Pdf software

Advanced search






WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search