How to embed fonts in pdf?
Thread poster: linadia
linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 1, 2006

Hello,

I need to insert one letter (one letter is missing from a word) in a pdf file using Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

Thanks,
Nadia

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:25
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Editing pdf files is almost surely impossible Mar 1, 2006

With very rare exceptions you will not be able to insert anything into a pdf file.
PDF is designed to be a view-only format, not for editing.

If you have the original document, you will be able to enter the missing letter and then to print it to a pdf file.

Regards
Jerzy

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Hi Nadia Mar 1, 2006

PDF documents are usually designed to be for the redistribution of finished files. Even if you have a full version of Acrobat, if the author of the PDF file created it with security settings enabled, you may not be able to edit/modify it at all within Acrobat.

The primary tool within Acrobat for editing text it the Touchup Text Tool and you'll recognise the button for this on your Acrobat toolbar by the outline T on the button.

With touchup text tool selected you just
... See more
PDF documents are usually designed to be for the redistribution of finished files. Even if you have a full version of Acrobat, if the author of the PDF file created it with security settings enabled, you may not be able to edit/modify it at all within Acrobat.

The primary tool within Acrobat for editing text it the Touchup Text Tool and you'll recognise the button for this on your Acrobat toolbar by the outline T on the button.

With touchup text tool selected you just highlight the section of text that you want to change (one line at a time) and then type in the corrected text. You can also use this button to adjust the horizontal position of the line of text. Also, if you right click on the selected text and select Attributes from the menu, you can change the font, font size, character spacing, and alignment of the text.

The touchup tool just allows you to make minor alterations to the appearance of the text and its position on the page.
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Document needs to be re-created Mar 1, 2006

You can touch up text in the full version of Acrobat (not in Acrobat Reader). Choose Tools >> Advanced Editing >> TouchUp Text Tool. However the font needs to be embedded and installed on your system. You cannot add a font to a PDF once it has been created. Fonts can only be added during PDF creation and only if its embeddable.

Olaf

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It almost cannot be done Mar 1, 2006

linadia wrote:
I need to insert one letter (one letter is missing from a word) in a pdf file using Adobe Acrobat 5.0.

Do you mean Acrobat Reader? Can't be done.

Or, do you mean that expensive Acrobat full version? Well, I've seen it done, but what you must do is copy that missing letter from somewhere else and then fit it in (if there is space to fit it in). If there aint no space to fit it in, you'd have to manually move each letter in that line slightly closer to the others, to open up sufficient space to paste the missing letter.

Don't try this with a document that isn't black-and-white and that you're gonna print on an industrial printer, though, because editing a PDF like this almost certainly will introduce colour shifts.

It's far better, quicker and safer to get the client to make the change on the original document and resend it.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Embedding fonts into an acrobat document Mar 2, 2006

Hi all!
it is possible. you need to do OCR job on the acrobat doc. and change the fonts and embed the new fonts using the option font embedding to print to adobe printer. Then you have a new adobe doc with embedded fonts. Brandis

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:25
English to Swedish
+ ...
Maybe I can help Mar 2, 2006

It is possible with a little manipulation. I can maybe do it if you send the file to me with deatails where the missing character is to be inserted and where to send the result.

linadia
linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Embedding a font in Adobe Acrobat Mar 6, 2006

Hello,

I'd like to thank you all for your replies.

The touchUp tool works fine in parts where the text is in text format.
But the letter I want to insert is part of an image.
Unfortunately, nothing worked with that.

I'd like to ask about embedding a font, and in particular, an Arabic one. How is that possible with Adobe Acrobat, the full version, not the reader?

I'd also like to thank Lars Jelking for his offer to help. But I'm not
... See more
Hello,

I'd like to thank you all for your replies.

The touchUp tool works fine in parts where the text is in text format.
But the letter I want to insert is part of an image.
Unfortunately, nothing worked with that.

I'd like to ask about embedding a font, and in particular, an Arabic one. How is that possible with Adobe Acrobat, the full version, not the reader?

I'd also like to thank Lars Jelking for his offer to help. But I'm not sure about the client, so I'll have to check with him first.

Nadia
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to embed fonts in pdf?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »