Track changes suddenly started up in a doc and I can't make it stop!
Thread poster: writeaway

writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sep 25, 2006

I am translating a doc using Dragon Naturally Speaking 9 preferred. I have an all English version. I only installed it yesterday so is still a bit new for me.
Related to that or not (?), my document suddenly started highlighting every word I said in green and italics. I found NOwhere on Office 2003 to stop the track changes. It simply won't go away. What's worse is that it cuts out all use of the thesaurus, which is disasterous. How can I stop this insane feature which has never worked correctly since I installed Word, and has now suddenly taken on a life of its own and is messing me up big time.
Thanks for any and all help and/or advice. Track changes worked fine on Win 98-was it a case of fixing something that wasn't broken?

Direct link Reply with quote

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:30
Spanish to English
+ ...
Cntl + Shift + E? Sep 25, 2006

That toggles Track Changes on/off in Word 2003 (see also under Tools--> Track Changes).

If you are having a problem with your new software, I don't know it so I can't help, but hope someone else can!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IT WORKED!!! Sep 25, 2006

Patricia Rosas wrote:

That toggles Track Changes on/off in Word 2003 (see also under Tools--> Track Changes).

If you are having a problem with your new software, I don't know it so I can't help, but hope someone else can!

Thank you so much Patricia. It worked right away and the thesaurus function is back!
What a relief!

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I rejoiced too soon. Sep 25, 2006

Track changes is still there and no matter what I do, it sneaks in. If I highlight a paragraph with my mouse, it doesn't kick in. But if I just right click on a word, then I only get track changes choices (accept, reject etc.)
Some words only given TC choices no matter what I do. Is it possible that I have a corrupted file or something?

French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Maybe I found a solution Sep 25, 2006

There is a drop down feature next to the track changes (that is now on my screen-how it got there is a mystery). anyway the feature is called Show and by removing what it is showing, I got rid of the TC to the extent that I now seem to have my thesauras and dico functions back when I right click.
Hopefully this IS the solution. But won't rejoice anymore until the doc is out of my life.

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:30
French to English
Dunno if it's relevant... Sep 25, 2006

... but I've just started using Dragon as well and I've noticed that if I cough in a funny way or something (:-)), it sometimes brings up menu commands. I suppose it's possible that if you weren't paying attention, you could possibly activate something unintentionally...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Track changes suddenly started up in a doc and I can't make it stop!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search