Frame Maker conversion file formats demystified?
Thread poster: Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 17:01
English to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 4, 2006

Hi all,

I'm dabbling with FM 7.0, to be translated with Trados TagEditor 7.5 via S-Tagger.

I downloaded the File Formats Reference Guide from Trados, but there are still white spots on the map for me.

In brief, this is the process as I understand it:
1. *.fm > save as .mif in FrameMaker
2. Convert .mif to .stf in S-tagger. The intention is to open the .stf in TagEditor later on.
(during this step, .ttx files as well as .org files also occ
... See more
Hi all,

I'm dabbling with FM 7.0, to be translated with Trados TagEditor 7.5 via S-Tagger.

I downloaded the File Formats Reference Guide from Trados, but there are still white spots on the map for me.

In brief, this is the process as I understand it:
1. *.fm > save as .mif in FrameMaker
2. Convert .mif to .stf in S-tagger. The intention is to open the .stf in TagEditor later on.
(during this step, .ttx files as well as .org files also occur out of nowhere, as well as a new file, "ancillary". The reference guide says nothing about this!)
3. Now I want to do an analysis in TWB. Should i base the word count on the .stf files?
4. Now the actual translation in TagEditor. What is preferred, to work on the .stf files, or the .ttx that were already created?
5. After translation, I take the .ttx, clean them in TWB, and convert the .stf back into .mif using S-tagger again?
6. The .org files and acillary is still a bit of a mystery to me. Are they good for anything?

If anyone can shed light on this, I'd be really grateful.

Thanks!

/Jan
Collapse

Valery Legotin
Valery Legotin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Translate ttx in Target folder Oct 4, 2006

Hello,

If you already have ttx files, you are on the right way. Just translate ttx in 'Target' folder and do not forget to translate 'ancillary' file - it may contain additional translatable info like footers etc. but may be 'empty' as well. I would advise using TagEditor on FM originated files - this will help you keeping control over the tags unlike rtf.

Translate, convert back to mif that's all. Do not forget to verify the tags (button in TE) before conversion.
... See more
Hello,

If you already have ttx files, you are on the right way. Just translate ttx in 'Target' folder and do not forget to translate 'ancillary' file - it may contain additional translatable info like footers etc. but may be 'empty' as well. I would advise using TagEditor on FM originated files - this will help you keeping control over the tags unlike rtf.

Translate, convert back to mif that's all. Do not forget to verify the tags (button in TE) before conversion.

All the best
Collapse

Hector Aires
Hector Aires  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:01
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great Valery !! Oct 4, 2006

Hello,

I have the same FM version and what Valery says is ok. Translate everything including the ancillary.
Pay attention with the overlaps, and overrides, of the text boxes if the target text is longer than the source one and there is no enough room for those.

Have a nice, a great one, day.

El Étor

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I found a guide, but... Oct 4, 2006

...this guide doesn't mention the ORG and ancillary files:
http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/148/1

Perhaps the Proz authors could amend info about that?!

Thanks for the clarification both of you.

/Jan

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Both ORG and Ancillary files are explained in on-line help Oct 5, 2006

Jan Sundström wrote:
...this guide doesn't mention the ORG and ancillary files:
/Jan

The .org files are needed to convert .stf files back to .mif files.
For more information search the S-Tagger for FrameMaker on-line help.

Olaf

[Edited at 2006-10-05 15:05]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Frame Maker conversion file formats demystified?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »