https://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/59890-has_anybody_triedout_access2mysql_tool.html

has anybody triedout access2mysql tool
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 19:54
English to German
+ ...
Nov 16, 2006

Hi! one could convert local access customized database to mysql and upload to some php compatible format. I was wondering whether anybody has tried out and could give me initial entry/ advanced experiences. Best Brandis

mrr2ro
mrr2ro
United States
Local time: 12:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes it work - Free Mysql tool Nov 17, 2006

Brandis wrote:

Hi! one could convert local access customized database to mysql and upload to some php compatible format. I was wondering whether anybody has tried out and could give me initial entry/ advanced experiences. Best Brandis

The MySql Migration too kit will do this for you without a problems - It will transfer data structures (Tables/fields) it will not convert your forms, macros, queries, reports, and does not create the PHP for you.

There are several utilities that do the whole thing at once (commercial and shareware) just google "Access forms to PHP conversion" you will be tickled pink to see the amount of choices you will have.

Those apps will do the data structure, and forms. The ones that work relatively well, are commercial but for this I will suggest to hire a PHP guru -- a person is more expensive but (If you choose the right person) much better than a program conversion.

As a bilingual technical company, SpanishTech have done our share of databases, we try to stay away from Access but a high percentage of our clients use access because of the simplicity of it. So we migrate a lot of Access to MySql / PHP.

Access is a good prototyping tool, but it chokes easily, and the most annoying thing is how the databases and scripting are not backwards compatible -- Ie: if you had access 2000 and you upgrade to 2003, brace for impact and prepare to have problems.

Spanish Translations - SpanishTech - Spanish content and seamless technology integration.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 19:54
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 17, 2006

mrr2ro wrote:

Brandis wrote:

The MySql Migration too kit will do this for you without a problems - It will transfer data structures (Tables/fields) it will not convert your forms, macros, queries, reports, and does not create the PHP for you.

There are several utilities that do the whole thing at once (commercial and shareware) just google "Access forms to PHP conversion" you will be tickled pink to see the amount of choices you will have.

Those apps will do the data structure, and forms. The ones that work relatively well, are commercial but for this I will suggest to hire a PHP guru -- a person is more expensive but (If you choose the right person) much better than a program conversion.

As a bilingual technical company, SpanishTech have done our share of databases, we try to stay away from Access but a high percentage of our clients use access because of the simplicity of it. So we migrate a lot of Access to MySql / PHP.

Access is a good prototyping tool, but it chokes easily, and the most annoying thing is how the databases and scripting are not backwards compatible -- Ie: if you had access 2000 and you upgrade to 2003, brace for impact and prepare to have problems.

Spanish Translations - SpanishTech - Spanish content and seamless technology integration.
you are a dear, we have a php genie in our team but has more or less never free time. Best Brandis

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 13:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
DIY Nov 17, 2006

If you have just a few tables to transfer - but regardless of the quantity of data they hold - it's probably not worth the expense of using any conversion program at all. How long is going to take to learn how to use it effectively? How much is it going to cost?

I've successfully transferred large quantities of data from genealogical databases in Access to MySQL using a very simple webpage written in ASP that reads the Access data rows and writes them to the corresponding MySQL t
... See more
If you have just a few tables to transfer - but regardless of the quantity of data they hold - it's probably not worth the expense of using any conversion program at all. How long is going to take to learn how to use it effectively? How much is it going to cost?

I've successfully transferred large quantities of data from genealogical databases in Access to MySQL using a very simple webpage written in ASP that reads the Access data rows and writes them to the corresponding MySQL tables. I custom built the MySQL tables in advance the way I decided I wanted them, whereas conversion programs will tend to configure them as a 'best-match' for the Access tables. But if you are upsizing from Access to MySQL it is presumably to harness the benefits of using MySQL, and there are many more table types and data field types available in MySQL than there are in Access.

A key advantage of the DIY approach is that all data is acessible to the ASP code while 'in transit', so you can do other things such as converting date formats (most Access date formats will not transfer directly into MySQL), for example, or you can apply sophisticated filtering. In my case, both databases use special coding to allow the user to store exact or approximate dates for any event, and this needed to be adapted to the way that Access and MySQL table handle null values, as well as changing the date format; since the ASP code had access to the dates while in transit, it was able process each date individually.

Another important factor, depending on the way your webhosting is set up, is that you do not require any special privileges in MySQL to transfer data this way, and there is no limit (other than available webserver disk space) to the amount of data you can transfer as a batch; when uploading data from your local PC to MySQL you may be limited to, say, 2 MBytes which is 'nothing' if your data contains large text fields or image data.

If I use ASP it's simply because I'm familiar with Visual Basic and had it on my system before PHP, which I've not bothered learning. I imagine that a DIY system can be implemented just as easily in PHP, however, if that's what your over-worked guru prefers. That said, ASP is probably more 'Access-friendly' than PHP, simly because of their shared origins.

MediaMatrix

[Edited at 2006-11-17 12:14]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

has anybody triedout access2mysql tool

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »