Anyone with experience of translating in Dreamwever?
Thread poster: Ulla Adamsson
Ulla Adamsson
Local time: 12:13
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 28, 2006

I have been asked by a client to translate directly into Dreamweaver, which causes big problems for me because of the Swedish characters. Has anyone done any translation directly in Dreamweaver and has some good advice for me??

Direct link Reply with quote

Roberto Bertuol  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:13
Member (2007)
Italian to English
+ ...
Deamweaver Nov 28, 2006

Why don't you suggest to import the files (html, asp, php)into a CAT tool, such as Transit. With Transit you can import the whole project folder and when the translation is completed, Transit will recreate the exact folder structure. By doing so you should not have problems with Swedish characters. the other option is to work in Word and then do a cut and paste in Dreamweaver..

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
FYI Nov 28, 2006

I've moved the thread from Off-Topic to Software Applicatins forum.

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
export it all to some standard format Nov 29, 2006

... like xml or similar.

smo

PS: of course the problem of importing will come up...

esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:13
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
Not really understand Nov 29, 2006

I'm not familiar with Dreamweaver very well, but what I know is that Dreamweaver is primarily used to edit (X)HTML files. So, I can't understand, how it's possible to translate in Dreamweaver. Is it really capable of saving into some specific format? Then it should be something XML-based. So, just translate it with any CAT tool, then open in D to make sure that everything is correct.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Hotkeys for Swedish characters Nov 29, 2006

Ulla Adamsson wrote:
I have been asked by a client to translate directly into Dreamweaver, which causes big problems for me because of the Swedish characters.

Can't you create some keyboard shortcuts for those characters using something like AutoHotKey?

Sharon Sarah Schmitz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Automatic conversion Nov 29, 2006

I use Dreamweaver to design websites. Basically, there are several ways to properly integrate special characters. The most convenient option for text that is actually displayed by the browser is to work in Dreamweaver's design view ("View/Design") and type the required characters using the corresponding "Alt" sequences, e.g., press and hold the "Alt" key while typing 0197 on the numerical keypad, which will produce a capital A with a circle on top. For a complete overview of "Alt" sequences for special characters, please refer to http://www.tedmontgomery.com/tutorial/ALTchrc.html

If you switch to the combined design/code view in Dreamweaver, you can see what actually happens: Dreamweaver converts the special character into its HTML counterpart.

If you are not familiar with Dreamweaver and HTML, things get more complicated when dealing with "hidden" tags, such as site title, keywords and description or alternative texts for images, etc. If you are tasked with translating these as well, you can either use the corresponding Dreamweaver menu items for keywords and description ("Head/Keywords", "Head/Description") and use the method described above, or you can taype directly in the HTML source code. However, using the latter approach requires you to type the corresponding HTML code for the special characters instead of the characters themselves if you want to make sure that browsers properly render them. You can find a list at http://www.netzmafia.de/skripten/easyhtml/htmltab.html

There's yet another option, but that would mean delving too far into non-translation-related aspects of web design.

To sum it up: if you are only tasked with translating the main bulk of text, that should pose no problem even if you are not familiar with Dreamweaver and HTML. Otherwise, it's up to you to decide whether you think it worthwhile (and profitable enough) to familiarize yourself with the specific environment or describe the problem to the client and request to use the tools you are already familiar with.

[Edited at 2006-11-29 09:11]

[Edited at 2006-11-29 09:12]

Ulla Adamsson
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for all your comments/advice on Dreamweaver! Nov 29, 2006

I have suggested to the client to alow me to translate the html in txt and that they then can transfer this into Dreamweaver, as it is at this point far too complicated to learn a new programme.
I am still awaiting their reply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone with experience of translating in Dreamwever?

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search