A desperate problem with .sfe
Thread poster: bartek
bartek
bartek  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:48
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2007

I’ve received a set of files to assist me in doing a translation. There are four files in .sfe format and one called raz.sfe. I know that they are large sections of a file which has been split up.

Unfortunately, I didn’t look at them as soon as I received them and now, having taken a look, I’m dumbfounded. Theoretically, I’d like to have them in pdf. However, I can’t ask the agency about anything because they’re now enjoying a lazy weekend.

I’ve tried o
... See more
I’ve received a set of files to assist me in doing a translation. There are four files in .sfe format and one called raz.sfe. I know that they are large sections of a file which has been split up.

Unfortunately, I didn’t look at them as soon as I received them and now, having taken a look, I’m dumbfounded. Theoretically, I’d like to have them in pdf. However, I can’t ask the agency about anything because they’re now enjoying a lazy weekend.

I’ve tried opening the raz.sfe file (and the others) in the hopes that this would join all the files together for me. In the past I’ve received several files and miraculously, clicking on one of them caused the whole lot to join up. No such luck this time. When I click on raz.sfe, all it does is ask me if I want to search for any “the file opener” on the net or on my computer.

What I need to do is to join all the files up to make one huge one. I’ve roamed around the Internet to no avail. My colleagues on the Polish forum have been very helpful and posted a number of links. I’m including them here, to save any repetition.

http://www.paritech.com/products/software/hottrader/data_formats.asp - sadly, it doesn’t help.

http://www.paritech.com/products/software/hottrader/data_formats.asp - I’ve installed it, but it only divides files. Either I have no idea how to join them with its help or it simply doesn’t possess that function.

And as far as ‘Split File Shell extension’ is concerned, I’ve tried to use this programme with it – also to no avail:

http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/32397.asp

I’m beginning to get really desperate. Can somebody help me work the miracle that will join these files together?

Teresa
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:48
German to English
+ ...
Tried this one? Jan 13, 2007

www.esnips.com/doc/ccbbea87-e290-4691-b200-ea0a7b7b5f5e/Split-File

which is a link from:

www.esnips.com/web/ArabicSongs4u/

bartek
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Robert Jan 13, 2007

I have not been able to instal the application on my computer. But I have a good news. One of our Prozians managed to join the file . I do not know how he did it, he won't tell me. Most important - it worked and I have a very nice file ready to assist me in translation.
Thank you and have a nice Sunday
Teresa

Tomasz Niedbala
Tomasz Niedbala
Poland
English to Polish
Solution Jan 13, 2007

The problem was simple:
One of 5 splited files has not correct name...

It was like this
xxx_1.sfe
xxx_2.sfe
xxx_3.sfe
xxx_4.sfe
xxx.sfe

ans should be like this:
xxx_1.sfe
xxx_2.sfe
xxx_3.sfe
xxx_4.sfe
xxx_5.sfe

so, after renaming the file - works OK.

Regards

Tomek

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I love ProZ.com! Jan 13, 2007

bartek wrote:

/.../But I have a good news. One of our Prozians managed to join the file /.../ Most important - it worked and I have a very nice file ready to assist me in translation.
Thank you and have a nice Sunday
Teresa

Magda

bartek
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
So do I Jan 13, 2007

T.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A desperate problem with .sfe

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »