Help with Thunderbird
Thread poster: Denyce Seow

Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 20:56
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Jan 15, 2007

I installed Thunderbird today, but it seems that I chose the wrong setting during installation. Now, my Yahoo emails get downloaded to Thunderbird and are straight away deleted from the Yahoo server. My friend said that it is not possible to reconfigure the setting to stop Thunderbird from deleting emails from my Yahoo server. What should I do in this case?

Direct link Reply with quote

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:56
Member (2004)
English to Polish
It is possible... Jan 15, 2007

... and quite simple, do not worry!

1. Open Thunderbird.
2. Select Tools/Account settings.
3. Select the account you have defined in the tree on the left.
4. Then select Server Settings in the tree under that account.
5. Check the box "Leave messages on server" (do not check the suboptions, unless this is what you want).

Tell us if it worked...

peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
Server settings? Jan 15, 2007

Try this.

Tools -> Account settings -> server settings -> tick 'Leave messages on server'.

Edit: oops, there's already a reply...

[Edited at 2007-01-15 22:11]

franksf
Chinese to English
www.inbox.com has similar function Jan 15, 2007

not so big a brand name as yahoo inbox.com supports post-office-protocol (pop) mail, any email client like outlook should work with it, download a copy to a local pc for offline read/reply or go online with web interface either way. 5gb server storage.

Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Save my email messages Jan 15, 2007

Dear Jabberwock and Pei Ling,

Thanks for the suggestion. I already tried your solution, but it didn't work. Just now, I was meddling around with the settings and I think I screwed the whole thing up. It is too complicated for me to describe here. I think what I should do now is to save all my email messages somewhere and uninstall Thunderbird. How should I do that? I cannot afford to lose these emails...

Denyce

Irene Schlotter, Dipl.-Übers.
Spain
English to German
+ ...
Steps for solving the problem Jan 15, 2007

Hi Denyce,

first of all, go to Thunderbird -> Tools -> Account settings (for your yahoo account). The name of the account is usually the name of the POP3 server. Check the POP3 server name under 'Server Settings'.

Now, first of all you want to disable checking messages. Go to [Account name ] -> 'Server Settings'. In the field 'Server Settings', deselect the option 'Check for new messages at startup'. This is the first check box in this field.

Then, deselect the checkbox 'Check for new messages every ... minutes'.

Next, select the checkbox for 'Leave messages on server', and under it, select the checkbox for 'Until I delete or move them from Inbox'. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. With this setting you ensure that new mails are downloaded while at the same time remaining on the server.

Then, click OK. These are the basics.

Maybe you want to close Thunderbird. As you've touched the settings, this might be useful. I am using Thunderbird and have not had any problems so far. I generally store my messages for about 7 days on the server before having them deleted automatically, and Thunderbird has never failed me.

I would not uninstall Thunderbird for the time being - if the messages were deleted from the server (because of a wrong setting), you still have them in Thunderbird.

If you REALLY want to make sure that Thunderbird is not getting any of your mails, also

Good luck!

franksf
Chinese to English
export e-mail Jan 15, 2007

http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq#export

How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?
Thunderbird's mail files are in the standard plain text "mbox" format, which almost all mail programs can use or import. Many proprietary mail programs have a function to import from Eudora, which also uses the "mbox" format; this function should read your Mozilla mail files properly.

Your mail files are inside your profile (see the Profile Folder), in the Mail and (if you use IMAP) ImapMail folders. Each mail folder (Inbox, Sent, etc.) is stored as two files — one with no extension (e.g. INBOX), which is the mail file itself (in "mbox" format), and one with an .msf extension (e.g. INBOX.msf), which is the index (Mail Summary File) to the mail file. Tell the other program to import mail from the file with no extension.

If you want to transfer a mail file to another Mozilla profile or another installation of Mozilla, simply put the mail file into the other installation's Mail folder.

Diogo Santos
Local time: 13:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You can do this! Jan 16, 2007

Hi Denice,

I have been using Thunderbird for about 2 years now and it's really an excellent program once you get used to it... Perhaps the best option right now would be to uninstall and then reinstall it again if you want to use it again, this time with the right options chosen.

Of course, before uninstalling the program you should do the following steps in order to save the messages:

If you just want to save a couple of messages it's easy:

1. Create in my documents or in the place where you want a copy of your messages two folders - Inbox and Sent.

2. Open Thunderbird and click once on inbox

3. Right click on ONE message you want to save and select "save as", put it in the inbox folder you've just created.

Now you have a message that can be opened in whichever e-mail program you want. You should now use an e-mail program other than Thunderbird just to make sure that everything is correct and that you can read that message in another program.

4. Follow steps 2 and 3 with the other inbox messages. With the sent messages do exactly the same thing.

However if you have thousands of e-mails and little time this is not an option, so I'm afraid you have to do this the hard way... :

Go to http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/faq and select "How do I export e-mail messages to another mail program or computer?"

You should follow what they say...

The Profile Folder they mention is something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Thunderbird\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default

You must have the hidden files and folders VISIBLE in Windows Explorer in order to see this profile folder.

To turn them visible in Windows Explorer go to Tools -> Folder options -> View and then bellow "hidden files and folders" check the option "Show hidden files and folders".

Tell us later if this worked...

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:56
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Saving emails Jan 16, 2007

Does Thunderbird also delete files from Outlook Express or Outlook? If not, forward all your email messages there. If so, you can use the “Save As” option in Thunderbird to save emails to Word, but they will be saved there with all the message details before and after the message itself.
I found once that when I had a problem with Thunderbird, just deleting it through “Add & Delete Programs” and reinstalling was not enough, the problem was still there. I cured it by deleting this way, plus using Search to find all other Thunderbird files remaining and deleting them all manually, and then running a registry cleaner before reinstalling. This cured my problem. Having reinstalled Thunderbird (if you still want it) you can forward your emails back to yourself from Outlook (Express), or if that was not possible, you will only have them in Word, which is not quite so satisfactory but better than nothing.

Ramona Ali  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
English to Malay
+ ...
In theory... Jan 16, 2007

Go to Tools - Account Settings...
There you will see the local directory into which all your e-mails are stored.

I haven't tried this myself, but I suppose you can back these files up (don't forget to compact them first by going to File - Compact Folders) on a CD or a different place then putting them back there after you have re-installed Thunderbird.

With Outlook you can just import the e-mails directly from the CD but I don't think you can do that with Thunderbird...

Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Redirect Extension Jan 16, 2007

Hi Denyce,

Here is a way of simply exporting your emails back to your mail program. It is an extension called "Mail Redirect". More info here: http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=846 (make sure you choose the correct extension for your version of Thunderbird).

This extension allows you to get your emails back to your Yahoo inbox (or that of another email program). They will appear there with the original date, subject and sender (which is not the case when you use the Forward function).

Now you will have your emails back in your Yahoo inbox, and you can start all over with Thunderbird. I suggest you deinstall TB, and then install it again. Then you set up new accounts for your different email accounts. But make sure that the emails will not get deleted from your email provider's server: There is a checkbox somewhere in the installation process that needs to be unticked for this reason.

Hope this helps!

Stefanie

[Bearbeitet am 2007-01-16 13:16]

Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Back to Yahoo Jan 16, 2007

Dear all,

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I installed Eudora and set up Outlook Express, but none of them worked. In the end, I tried Stefanie's method and ***yooohoooo*** my 2,568 emails went back to Yahoo!!! I'm soooo happy.

Once again, a big thank-you to all of you.

Denyce

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with Thunderbird

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search