Thread poster: Srini Venkataraman

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 11:23
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
Feb 13, 2007

I wish to know whether there are any software tools available for translation to/from Indian languages- Are we supposed create a database of words say in Telugu- to facilitate the usage of this tool later?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxBrandis
Local time: 18:23
English to German
+ ...
i-leap supports indian languages Feb 13, 2007

Hi! i-leap runs separately outside MS-Word, but has it´s own editor that is similar to MS-Word. It doesn´t have any facility to generate a TM, but generally it is easy to operate and costs about Rs 100 I think. It has embedded indian fonts in the program and can run directly from a cd-rom. The other way around trados 7.0 supports indian languages, but you need to install these yourself, because the fonts supported by Trados do not reach all languages, I guess you have to install separate fonts while using Trados as well. This makes things easier.Best Brandis

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:23
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Wordfast and SDLX Feb 13, 2007

Hi,

I use wordfast... but my experience is that the results are not always very satisfactory especially when translating from English to Hindi (don't know about other languages). O.K. Things become a little easier but it's not the best thing...

Tried SDLX but the results are... I'll just say not really good.

I say that in comparison to European Languages. I translate from French to English and the results are really good... your work is reduced... but with Indian Languages... SDLX is worse than wordfast. The results are really funny if sent without proofreading

(one of my clients insists that I use SDLX. They send me SDLX files and I have to send them the same. And well, later they sent me the word documents with lots marks. I understood the problem when I merged the document myself... it is really funny... )

I'll just say it may help you a bit... but...

Only advantage I can see, in case you loose all your work because of some problem (happened to me recently... ), you still have your TM and it is a bit easier to get that translation done the second time... but just a bit.

The same thing that can be done (this sort of restoration) in 30 minutes for a European Language will still take at least 4-5 hours. Still it's faster than say doing it all over again.

(In my case, somehow all the work that I had done during several days and proofread suddenly reverted to the original language. I came to know of it only when the client called me asking how come I'd sent them the original document. I was shocked... checked the document, all my work was gone... it was the same original document. Thankfully I had my TM.)

Maybe it'll be different for Telugu... You can try the trial version of Wordfast and see if it works for you.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Ritu

P.S.: Atleast, wordfast segmentation is better than SDLX segmentation.
Just my personal experience.

[Edited at 2007-02-13 17:34]

Srini Venkataraman
United States
Local time: 11:23
Member (2012)
Tamil to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
English to Tamil/telugu and back Feb 13, 2007

I have installed both the fonts ( also Hindi, malayalam etc- where I hope to expand into later) and use transliteration/ visual keyboard, but from output point of view , abt 2000 words/day max.
Doing it the manually the hard way, is not an isse, being a free lancer, over the weekends but when deliveries are tight, or highly technical then output drops down drastically.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

trados or any SW tools for Indian languages

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search