How to merge several PDF files into a single one
Thread poster: Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Trans-Marie
Local time: 09:12
English to German
Feb 14, 2007

Dear colleagues,

I am currently writing an application which I would like to send both by post and by email. Is there a way to merge several files into a single one? I have about ten PDFs, several Jpeg files and a Word document which is the application form. I suspect that there is no way to merge files of different kinds or is there?

However, merging the PDFs into a single PDF file (or several Jpeg files into a single Jpeg file) would be of great help as this proble
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I am currently writing an application which I would like to send both by post and by email. Is there a way to merge several files into a single one? I have about ten PDFs, several Jpeg files and a Word document which is the application form. I suspect that there is no way to merge files of different kinds or is there?

However, merging the PDFs into a single PDF file (or several Jpeg files into a single Jpeg file) would be of great help as this problem frequently turns up when I want to add a certification of a translation (scanned and converted to PDF) to the translation itself. Is this feature included in the PDF writer (I don’t have one)?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Collapse

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:12
German to English
+ ...
a possible solution Feb 14, 2007

Hi Manuela,

one method would be to copy all the jpeg images and graphics into a single Word document (or even the Word doc you already have) and then convert the file to a PDF. Ultimately, it doesn't matter what type of file was used to create a PDF, the aim is to get everything into one document and then convert it.
HTH,
Jill

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
try arts split & merge tool Feb 14, 2007

Hi! check the web, this was available as trial for a while. I use it and it delivers satisfactory results.Best Brandis

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:12
German to English
+ ...
PDFsam Feb 14, 2007

I've already posted about this application twice in the ProZ forums:

www.proz.com/post/490070
www.proz.com/post/481352

It is a Java application (so you need to have Java installed) and is free. It really is a neat, effective piece of
... See more
I've already posted about this application twice in the ProZ forums:

www.proz.com/post/490070
www.proz.com/post/481352

It is a Java application (so you need to have Java installed) and is free. It really is a neat, effective piece of software.

www.pdfsam.org

Regarding emailing your files, why not "zip" them together (thus compressing them at the same time)?

[Edited at 2007-02-14 09:23]
Collapse

Ara Mkrtchyan (X)
Ara Mkrtchyan (X)  Identity Verified
Armenia
Local time: 12:12
English to Armenian
+ ...
The easiest way of merging PDFs, imho Feb 14, 2007

Hi Manuela,

If you have several pages of pdf as separate files and want them merged into one file, you can do it quite easily with the Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader). I can guide you through, if necessary. You just insert pages, define the sequence and that's it.
As for the jpeg files, you can save them as pdfs, by Photoshop for instance, and do the same insertion with the Acrobat.
Word files can also be converted into pdfs, as you probably know, so all your files can b
... See more
Hi Manuela,

If you have several pages of pdf as separate files and want them merged into one file, you can do it quite easily with the Adobe Acrobat (not the Reader). I can guide you through, if necessary. You just insert pages, define the sequence and that's it.
As for the jpeg files, you can save them as pdfs, by Photoshop for instance, and do the same insertion with the Acrobat.
Word files can also be converted into pdfs, as you probably know, so all your files can be converted to one common pdf file.

Rgrds,
Ara

[Edited at 2007-02-14 16:17]

[Edited at 2007-02-14 16:18]
Collapse

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:12
English to Chinese
+ ...
Adobe Acrobat Profession Feb 15, 2007

Adobe Acrobat profession (my version is 7) can solve it, I have just tested it. It can merge PDF files, Jpeg files and Word documents into one PDF file at the same time.

Regards!
Han Li

Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
English to French
Another (free) solution Feb 15, 2007

Not sure it is worth buying Acrobat to merge PDF files...

Another solution, free and open-source :
PDFtk
http://www.paehl.de/pdf/?GUI_for_PDFTK

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to merge several PDF files into a single one

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »