E-mail program or service for sending newsletters?
Thread poster: Reed James

Reed James
Chile
Local time: 02:50
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 19, 2007

Hello.

I am starting a newsletter called Pro Spanish Translation (you can sign up at www.prospanishtranslation.com). Right now, I can definitely get by with my e-mail client, as the list is fairly short. However, I would like to plan ahead and choose a method of sending the newsletter through a service or via software.

Which is better, software or a service? I am looking into an application called Gammadyne. Is anyone familiar with it?

Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. TIA.

Reed

Direct link Reply with quote

xxx@caduceus
United States
Local time: 23:50
English to German
+ ...
Constant Contact Feb 19, 2007

I've used Constant Contact before. It works pretty well and is easy to use.

http://www.constantcontact.com

[Edited at 2007-02-20 02:35]

xxxmediamatrix
Local time: 02:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Like most things in IT, the answer is 'it depends'... Feb 19, 2007

Having been faced with a similar requirement a few years ago - for the distribution of a 50-page monthly statistical report in PDF format to several hundred paying subscribers - I recall that many questions had to be answered before deciding on the most appropriate solution. And in the end I wrote a complete database/subscription/mailer application in Visual Basic tailored to my requirements, as I could find nothing on the market that could do everything I needed.

Before taking a decision, you might want to consider some or all of the following:

Delivery volume and schedule

- Is the newsletter to be sent in the body of the e-mail (html), or as an attached document (PDF, for example)?
- How big is the complete email (max. file size)?
- What is the periodicity (daily, weekly, ...)?
- How many readers do you expect to have, say 12 months from now?
- Do you have separate English and Spanish editions?
- How quickly do you want readers to be served when the 'virtual presses' begin to roll? (within 5 minutes? - or will within 48 hours be OK?)

Subscribers

- Do you want to interface with readers in their own language (English, Spanish - perhaps others, too)?
- How much information do you want to collect from readers?
- Do you want to keep track of readers' interests, for advertising purposes, to help define your editorial content, etc.?
- What software do you already use that could usefully form part of an integrated system? (Outlook, Access, etc.).
- How do you want to respond to non-delivery problems ( 'Postmaster reports unable to deliver to address XXX - no such address' etc.)?
- How do you want to handle readers' complaints about non-delivery?

If the newsletter is sent as an attachment:

- Do you want to customise the covering e-mail (Dear John, Dear Susan, instead of Dear Reader)?
- Do you want to address each reader in his/her chosen language?
- Do you want to use the e-mail to advertise other products/services (your own or third parties')?
- Do you want to use the e-mail to warn subscribers of the upcoming expiry of their subscription?

Subscriptions

- Is the newsletter free, or will subscribers have to pay (now or in the medium-term)?
- If paid:
- How? (credit cards, bank transfers, Payal, etc.) - and how do you want to monitor (non)payments?
- Do you want to offer special rates (students, ...) or discounts/offers?
- Do you want to automate the suspension/resumption of delivery to payment defaulters?

Have you considered other options?

For example: Making the newsletter available for download from your website, with the e-mail serving just as a trigger for readers to log-on and and fetch it. (Could include access to back-issues).

Oh, yes - one more thing: How much do you want to spend on this?

HTH
MediaMatrix

PS One more for good measure: Have you read Ley de la Republica de Chile número 19.628, "Sobre protección de la vida privada - Protección de datos de carácter personal", promulgada el día 18 de agosto del año 1999?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

E-mail program or service for sending newsletters?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search