Juliana Brown
Juliana Brown  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 23:34
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 31, 2007

Does anyone know of a way to do a word count in Adobe Acrobat that does not involve me poking at the screen and counting out loud? I tried cutting and pasting into Word, but of course then Word does not recognize it....

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 06:34
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
There are many special Word counting softwares May 31, 2007

to mention just Anycount and PractiCount. I use PractiCount and you can download functional Demo version from www.practiline.com.

Uldis

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:34
Polish to English
+ ...
OCR May 31, 2007

Juliana Starkman wrote:

I tried cutting and pasting into Word, but of course then Word does not recognize it....

Don't quite know what you mean here..., but:

A similar discussion here: http://www.proz.com/topic/74106

Briefly - if the "save as text" command in Adobe Reader does not work, use OCR to recognize the text in the PDF file and then count the words in MS Word.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much May 31, 2007

for the quick replies!

Pavel Blann
Pavel Blann  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
adobe acrobat May 31, 2007

adobe acrobat allows you to save the pdf file as an rtf file, which can be opened in you wordprocessor and wordcounted there.

if you have just adobe acrobat _reader_ then you can use:

1. one of the programs mentioned above, or
2. a pdf2rtf conversion utility, or
3. a full-scale application like abbyy finereader (however, this is an overkill if you don't need its scanning and/or other functions)

Geneviève von Levetzow
Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
French to German
+ ...
Abracadabra May 31, 2007

http://www.abracadabrapdf.net

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Question of the week! May 31, 2007

I think it's time for the Proz moderator to implement sticky posts, and put a FAQ on top of every subforum.

This question has been asked almost once a week ever since I joined Proz.

I'm not blaming Juliana for not searching in the forum archive, but everybody would benefit from sticky posts as long as this question is being repeated.

Newbies will find the answer quicker rather than having to wait for replies. And the forum will be less cluttered of posts th
... See more
I think it's time for the Proz moderator to implement sticky posts, and put a FAQ on top of every subforum.

This question has been asked almost once a week ever since I joined Proz.

I'm not blaming Juliana for not searching in the forum archive, but everybody would benefit from sticky posts as long as this question is being repeated.

Newbies will find the answer quicker rather than having to wait for replies. And the forum will be less cluttered of posts that are repeated and taking up screen real estate...

Jan
Collapse

Juliana Brown
Israel
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do apologize May 31, 2007

for not checking. It honestly slipped my mind that that was a possibility (something to do with two screaming children under the age of four, a usually helpful husband in China on business and 3 simultaneous BIG deadlines looming). I would love to see some sort of sticky solution...

LinguaLab.net
LinguaLab.net
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:34
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I realise this is a really old thread, but... May 14, 2008

Geneviève von Levetzow wrote:

http://www.abracadabrapdf.net

I just wanted to thank Geneviève for this link - I just downloaded it and it's brilliant!

Thank you so much!

Nina Elin Brevik
www.lingualab.net

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count in Acrobat

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »