Kateřina Suchánková
Kateřina Suchánková  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 14:38
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
Oct 9, 2007

Could anyone give me an advice how to count words in a document, which is in pdf form?

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
Please use the Search function first Oct 9, 2007

This topic has been discussed several hundred times.

Regards

Andrzej

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Search the forum Oct 9, 2007

Andrzej is right, everything has been said about this, over and over again.
You'll have 100's of posts full of wisdom in the forum.
Hint: search for Abbyy Finereader!

/Jan

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:38
Spanish to English
My method Oct 9, 2007

I quickly convert the document to word using a pdf converter. Otherwise the old fashioned way is to count how many words there are in an average line and then count the average lines per page.

I personally don't think it is very helpful to say this topic has been discussed hundreds of times as it is not really that easy to look through past topics.

samehme
samehme
United States
Local time: 05:38
English to Arabic
+ ...
anycount Oct 10, 2007

Hi,

If the PDF contains text, then try AnyCount at http://www.anycount.com . They have a trial version.

and if the text in the PDF is in image format, then Abby Finereader will help to convert the text images to word. however, they don't have a trial version that's fully functional.

good luck

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 10, 2007

samehme wrote:

Hi,

If the PDF contains text, then try AnyCount at http://www.anycount.com . They have a trial version.

and if the text in the PDF is in image format, then Abby Finereader will help to convert the text images to word. however, they don't have a trial version that's fully functional.

good luck

Thanks a lot. I'll try to do that.

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 10, 2007

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I quickly convert the document to word using a pdf converter. Otherwise the old fashioned way is to count how many words there are in an average line and then count the average lines per page.

I personally don't think it is very helpful to say this topic has been discussed hundreds of times as it is not really that easy to look through past topics.

Thanks, I will try this possibility, too. You are right, I have tried to find it in the past topics, but it seemed for me to be quite difficult, especially when I was in a hurry.

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nonsense! Oct 10, 2007

Lesley Clarke wrote:

Lesley, this is total nonsense, and you know it!
Nothing could be easier.

If you scroll up a few centimeters, at the top of this very page, you'll find a button called "Search forums".

I simply type in "count words PDF", and Proz comes up with a 149 hits, all very relevant and informative!

And you call this "not really that easy"???

/Jan

Kateřina Suchánková
Czech Republic
Member (2010)
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 10, 2007

J-a-n S-ndstr-m wrote:

Andrzej is right, everything has been said about this, over and over again.
You'll have 100's of posts full of wisdom in the forum.
Hint: search for Abbyy Finereader!

/Jan

I have tried the recommended programme and it works!!! Thank you really very much. But it was really quite difficult for me to find something without an advice.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Counting words in pdf form

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »