Sharing documents : what to use?
Thread poster: crevette
crevette
crevette
Local time: 07:49
English to French
Oct 18, 2007

Hi,

I'm looking for a reliable software tool to share documents with other freelancers and translation agencies. I know there are a lot of tools out there but are there any tools that are tailored to our needs? Please share your experience in working with any of them. Thanks

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
specific needs Oct 18, 2007

what are your needs actually?
- exchange office files? try google documents: http://docs.google.com/ or office live workspace
- exchange tm? through email, perhaps?
- exchange big files? try rapidshare, yousendit etc.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
E-mail? Oct 18, 2007

crevette wrote:
I'm looking for a reliable software tool to share documents with other freelancers and translation agencies.

How about e-mail? And if you send and receive from the same server, there's little chance of it going lost (for example, if both sender and recipient use Gmail). Also, zip your files to preserve them better.

crevette
crevette
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
More details Oct 18, 2007

Thanks for your reply.

In fact, it's a combination of the 3 needs you mention...
I work on different projects simultaneously with a pool of native freelance translators. I need to send them the original file and then regroup the different translated documents (mostly Word docs) to send them to my clients.
Until now, I'm using email to exchange the documents, but every time my clients make a small changement to the original text, I need to resend the doc to all who is in
... See more
Thanks for your reply.

In fact, it's a combination of the 3 needs you mention...
I work on different projects simultaneously with a pool of native freelance translators. I need to send them the original file and then regroup the different translated documents (mostly Word docs) to send them to my clients.
Until now, I'm using email to exchange the documents, but every time my clients make a small changement to the original text, I need to resend the doc to all who is involved.
I'm also confronted with the transfer of large files (and related virus-troubles, of course) that give me a headache.

I know it's a very specific problem... I do hope anyone can help me out.
Collapse

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 12:49
English to Indonesian
+ ...
google docs... Oct 19, 2007

... or office online then if you mostly share/exchange doc files. i tried google docs and it is pretty good to share documents to be changed by others. i haven't tried the microsoft office live though.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In that case, FTP is your friend Oct 19, 2007

crevette wrote:
...every time my clients make a small changement to the original text, I need to resend the doc to all who is involved.

You should set up an FTP server and set up usernames/passwords for each translator. Then, whenever a document changes, add the date/time to the name of the file, and upload it to the server. You can also have a folder named "old" or similar, into which you move the old files. Translators can then get the latest version via their web browser (make sure directory browsing is enabled on the FTP server). Whenever there is a new version, just send an e-mail to the translators telling them that you've uploaded a new version.

I need to send them the original file and then regroup the different translated documents (mostly Word docs) to send them to my clients.

Well, you can distribute the files by uploading it to the FTP site and telling the translators where to download it. You can then ask the translators to e-mail you the finished documents. You then collate the translations, and upload the final document to the FTP site again, where translators can download it.

I'm also confronted with the transfer of large files (and related virus-troubles, of course) that give me a headache.

Large files will have to be send whether it is via e-mail or via FTP, so there's no getting away from this unless you want to send your translators only the changed pages.

g-twig
g-twig
French to English
This might help you out Oct 20, 2007

Hi crevette,

Your case is quite similar to mine. I've tried setting up an ftp server, but since I'm not a tech-savvy guy, it didn't work out. I switched to Nomadesk a couple of months ago. This tool allows me to create a shared folder for each project. I just upload the original file to this folder and then I give access to anyone who is involved. The freelancers I work with can return their translations via email directly into this folder if they want to. So everything is grouped
... See more
Hi crevette,

Your case is quite similar to mine. I've tried setting up an ftp server, but since I'm not a tech-savvy guy, it didn't work out. I switched to Nomadesk a couple of months ago. This tool allows me to create a shared folder for each project. I just upload the original file to this folder and then I give access to anyone who is involved. The freelancers I work with can return their translations via email directly into this folder if they want to. So everything is grouped in this one folder and I got rid of the virus and large file problems at the same time.

You might want to try it... According to my knowledge, it's free (anyway, I'm not paying and it does a good job. You can Google them.
Collapse

crevette
crevette
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Oct 24, 2007

g-twig wrote:

You might want to try it... According to my knowledge, it's free (anyway, I'm not paying and it does a good job. You can Google them.

I've tried it and it's exactly what I need! Thanks for the suggestion.

Gina Ferlisi
Gina Ferlisi
Member (2008)
Italian to English
microsoft sharepoint Dec 8, 2007

microsoft sharepoint is also a good application to use online with other translators working on the same project too..

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sharing documents : what to use?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »