Thread poster: Marta Riosalido
Marta Riosalido
Marta Riosalido
Spain
Local time: 22:23
German to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 11, 2007

I need urgently help with Trados Tag Editor. I have managed to create a .ttx file from a pdf document. Now, I'm trying to use the Tag settings menu, but the option appears always in grey and doesn' allow me to edit the tags. I would very much appreciate answers in plain English, since I'm not a Tag Editor expert.
Thank you

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
What is the reason? Nov 11, 2007

Why do you want to edit tags? Normally, tags should be copied from source into target.
Since you are "not a TagEditor expert", do you exactly know what are you going to do and why?

Regards

Andrzej

Marta Riosalido
Marta Riosalido
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Help with Trados TagEditor Nov 11, 2007

Sincerely, no.
I just know that I have a pdf document that needs to be translated with TRADOS TagEditor. Full stop.
I know I first have to convert the pdf file into an editable text, but I don't know what format I have to use (is word ok? Or a plain .rtf format is sufficient?

Thank you

Andrzej Lejman
Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
German to Polish
+ ...
First convert the PDF document. Nov 11, 2007

You need an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software, like Abbyy Fine Reader, Recognita or similar. You can save the output file as Word .doc and translate in Word + Workbench or .rtf file and translate in TagEditor + Workbench. After completing the translation you can save and restore the source format, using the command in TagEditor File > Save target as ... In order not to overwrite and keep the source file unchanged, give your translated file a different name, like file_name_translated.<... See more
You need an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) software, like Abbyy Fine Reader, Recognita or similar. You can save the output file as Word .doc and translate in Word + Workbench or .rtf file and translate in TagEditor + Workbench. After completing the translation you can save and restore the source format, using the command in TagEditor File > Save target as ... In order not to overwrite and keep the source file unchanged, give your translated file a different name, like file_name_translated.
There is no need to do anything with the tags than to copy them from source to target segment in the proper order and number.

Good luck

Andrzej
Collapse

Marta Riosalido
Marta Riosalido
Spain
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not the problem Nov 11, 2007

When I try to open the .rtf format file, the text is not tagged at all. Should that happen automatically? The TU goes from the first line to the second line, independently of full stops and columns in the source text.

Marta

Jan Sundström
Jan Sundström  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Clarification? Nov 12, 2007

Marta Riosalido wrote:

When I try to open the .rtf format file, the text is not tagged at all. Should that happen automatically? The TU goes from the first line to the second line, independently of full stops and columns in the source text.

Marta

Hi Marta,

How did you create the RTF file? You didn't mention this in the first place???
Did you use an OCR program like Andrzej suggested, or if you have the full version of Acrobat > extract the text as RTF?

What you must know is that neither of these methods are flawless. Columns and tabs usually go haywire!

You must open the RTF in Word, and vet the text that is generated.
Make sure you have the "show hidden characters" option on in Word, and add/delete any line breaks and paragraph marks that were misinterpreted. If there are tables and columns, you are usually better off recreating them manually in Word.

Once you've done that, the RTF should be just fine to open in Tageditor.

/Jan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Haw can I tag a .ttx document?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »