Kerati Kuaimongkol
Kerati Kuaimongkol  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:17
Member (2007)
English to Thai
Nov 20, 2007

Dear all,

I've received PDF files from client. The client want me to translate this document and keep all layout , table , pic , etc.

What is the easiest way to edit it?

Thanks in advance,
Kerati

Mulyadi Subali
Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
ocr Nov 20, 2007

this subject has been discussed many times. you can search the forum for this.
many prozians love abbyy fine reader. personally, i use abbyy pdf transformer.
keeping the layout is tricky. unless you're paid for dtp, you shouldn't be bothered doing this on your end.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:17
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Recreate from scratch Nov 20, 2007

Kerati Kuaimongkol wrote:
I've received PDF files from client. The client want me to translate this document and keep all layout , table , pic , etc. What is the easiest way to edit it?

The easiest way? Print out the PDF, then extract the source text (copy/paste), then recreate the file in your word processor. When you're satisfied that the file in your word processor looks more or less like the PDF, translate it.

The real easy way? Tell the client you can't edit a PDF, and find other clients who'll give you more money in less time.

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
Ask for the source document Nov 20, 2007

Hi,

Pdf is only intended for viewing a document, not for editing it. Ask the customer for the source file in order to keep the layout - if it's a format you can work in.
If they cannot provide it or you don't have the source software, charge for the time you will spend creating a new Word file with all the tables etc.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:17
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Surcharge Nov 20, 2007

Marie-Céline GEORG wrote:

Hi,

Pdf is only intended for viewing a document, not for editing it. Ask the customer for the source file in order to keep the layout - if it's a format you can work in.
If they cannot provide it or you don't have the source software, charge for the time you will spend creating a new Word file with all the tables etc.

As stated in many of the PDF forums, I charge a 20% surcharge, which often means that a Word document is found rapidly. Only last week, a customer told me that it would be "very inconvenient" for them to convert a PDF into Word. I asked them whether it would be "very inconvenient" to pay my 20% surcharge, whereupon a Word document was provided. Quite quickly, in fact.

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:17
English to Chinese
+ ...
PDF files Nov 20, 2007

PDF files are normally distributed for people to read and print, but not to modify/edit. However, editing pdf files are possible, using expensive Acrobat software. Leave it to your client to do the dtp if possible.

-------------
English to Chinese translator
www.chineservice.com

[Edited at 2007-11-20 12:59]

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
Editing PDF is DTP Nov 20, 2007

Hi,

I jsut wanted to say that editing PDF documents fall under DTP.
You should charge a DTP fee to do that (apart from translation fee).
Because you can not do that via regular word processors. You need to get other softwares that can edit PDF.

Also, If you dont know how to do it (via a DTP software), you can put yourself into a lots of problems.

Good luck
Regards

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
English to Thai
+ ...
Acrobat Professional 8.0 Nov 20, 2007

I use Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0.

It contains a number of functions good for translators:
1. OCR for EN, JP, GE etc.
2. Comment and text boxs for editing texts at once.
3. Graphic tools to revise layout etc.
4. Save PDF in RTF format (for some source text formats).

Sorry! This is not an advertisement but I want to share my personal experience, in particular handling of the Thai language.

Soonthon L. ...
See more
I use Adobe Acrobat Professional 8.0.

It contains a number of functions good for translators:
1. OCR for EN, JP, GE etc.
2. Comment and text boxs for editing texts at once.
3. Graphic tools to revise layout etc.
4. Save PDF in RTF format (for some source text formats).

Sorry! This is not an advertisement but I want to share my personal experience, in particular handling of the Thai language.

Soonthon L.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing PDF file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »