Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2008

Hi.

I am an extremely proficient user of v7 of this software, but am having a very hard time adapting to version 8. Can someone tell me how to enter a new job without having to create a new project first? I find this all very confusing. Am I going to have to create a new project and then a new job for EVERY job I do? That's a lot of work.

Thanks.
Sandra

Marie-Céline GEORG
Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:00
German to French
+ ...
Stick to V7 Jan 4, 2008

Hi Sandra,

Unless AIT has changed the whole structure of TO3000 V8 in the mean time, you can't create a job without creating a project first, which is why I stuck to V7 despite its annoying way of handling tables and VAT. There was a whole debate on proz about that when V8 was launched...

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:00
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm sticking to V7 Jan 4, 2008

Yeah. This is for the birds. I can't even find a way to link expenses to a particular client properly. This software seems needlessly complicated. Such a shame.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 02:00
Spanish
+ ...
V7 vs V8 Jan 5, 2008

I too was reluctant to switch to v8, but now that I have I couldn't go back to v7. The problem with v8 is that for jobs that only only include one service or one file to work on, creating that project and job will take longer. But it is worthy if you get complex project, even if it's occasionally.

If you only have to deal with one file or service, you could create it from either panel, but I prefer to create it from the Projects panel.
I too was reluctant to switch to v8, but now that I have I couldn't go back to v7. The problem with v8 is that for jobs that only only include one service or one file to work on, creating that project and job will take longer. But it is worthy if you get complex project, even if it's occasionally.

If you only have to deal with one file or service, you could create it from either panel, but I prefer to create it from the Projects panel.

• Go to the Main tab, click on New Project.
  • Select the client (this won't work for new clients, you'd have to use the Clients window).
  • From the New project window, name your project. If it's just one file, use the name of the file, that way, v8 will use that name for the job.
  • In that same window, there's an information window, which is one of my favorite things of version 8. You can add all the information and it will be display from the Project view. For instance, if you are told not to localize numbers or to use certain web site to check the terminology, you have that information right there without having to open a window to see it. I've found that extremely helpful.
  • Once you create the project, go to the Client Jobs tab and create a New job just like in v7.
  • When you finish the job, you'd need to mark both the job and the project as complete, but it doesn't take that long.

Adapting to so many differences takes a while. But, even though all the extra steps are a nuisance, I can now see how v8 is FAR SUPERIOR than v7 when it comes to handling complex projects. You can have all the jobs from that project in one single space. Which is fantastic if you have to switch from one job to another from the same project and back. You can mark them as completed and still see them together.

The file tab from the Project pane is also extremely helpful. You can manage your jobs and see all the folders and files in the same place. You can even create folders, drag-and-drop files, OPEN the files directly from the project panel, which saves a lot of time. I don't use Explorer to manage my projects anymore.

For instance, I'm working on a medium-to-large project and I found myself using several applications, references, databases and material that I rather have in different folders but i need a quick access to them, then I note all the relevant information I need to keep in mind on the information window from the Main tab. So I move back and forth easily; I can also create the folders, open the files, the references, etc. so I don't need to have all the extra reference windows open at the same time. I can close them and find them right there, from that tab.

In the pic, only the folders with the numbers are created automatically, I had to create the rest of them along the way.

Overall, I do recommend v7 over v8, but it does take a while to figure out how fully use all the new features. Good luck.

Claudia

Edit:
Sandra Alboum wrote:

Yeah. This is for the birds. I can't even find a way to link expenses to a particular client properly. This software seems needlessly complicated. Such a shame.

Yeah, that sucks.

[Edited at 2008-01-05 19:02]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I decided for "project=Client" and it works for me Jan 5, 2008

Am I going to have to create a new project and then a new job for EVERY job I do?

No, no need to. I had exactly the same kind of stomach problems - check back a year or so ago - but then learnt how to do the ropes. Maybe the solution is not optimal, but having one project for every client makes project layer nearly invisible to me.

Oh yes, and one of these days I'll close them all and open new ones (XYZ 2008) when they start coming in.

Regards

Vito

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 10:00
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
A vote for Vito Jan 6, 2008

I entered straight into v.8 and can't do without anymore.

So for me it was only natural to create a general 'project' per client (called, in my case, "XYZ Translations - other") and have all their jobs under this roof.
If that client has another project/sub-client, I open another project for them called "XYZ Translations - ABC corp." or something.

It works well, and, as Vito says, is transparent.

In any case, I love their support - fast, effective an
... See more
I entered straight into v.8 and can't do without anymore.

So for me it was only natural to create a general 'project' per client (called, in my case, "XYZ Translations - other") and have all their jobs under this roof.
If that client has another project/sub-client, I open another project for them called "XYZ Translations - ABC corp." or something.

It works well, and, as Vito says, is transparent.

In any case, I love their support - fast, effective and personal - I wish all software companies will copy that...

Doron
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Proz.com a cornucopia of hints and tips Jan 7, 2008

Thank you Claudia (I assume you meant you recommend V8 over V7) and Vito for your contributions: it gives me hope, and a few guidelines to try and manage my stuff differently in 2008, because one of my goals this year is to switch to v8 (I love plotted stats).
I already tried it a few days in parallel with v7... and gave up because I felt I wasted too much time with it. It may be time to get it out of the bought-not-used cupboard soon.
Philippe

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New Jobs in Translation Office 3000 v8

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »