Segmentation and quality
Thread poster: Heather Lane
Heather Lane
Heather Lane  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:25
Dutch to English
Jan 18, 2008

Hi there,

I'm just about to embark on a thesis on the effect that TM use (with particular reference to segmentation) has on the translation of non-technical texts. I was wondering of anybody had any good ideas about testing this? I want to look at things like anaphora, layout, and the cohesiveness of the text as a whole.

Would it be better to have few translators translate many texts (some with and some without TM), or would it be better to have more translators transl
... See more
Hi there,

I'm just about to embark on a thesis on the effect that TM use (with particular reference to segmentation) has on the translation of non-technical texts. I was wondering of anybody had any good ideas about testing this? I want to look at things like anaphora, layout, and the cohesiveness of the text as a whole.

Would it be better to have few translators translate many texts (some with and some without TM), or would it be better to have more translators translate fewer texts?

Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated!

Heather Lane
Collapse

Renée van Bijsterveld
Renée van Bijsterveld  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:25
Member (2007)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Find translators who do not usually use a TM Jan 18, 2008

Interesting subject. I noticed a real change in the way I translate when I had to switch to Trados (in the Trados pioneering phase). After a long time of using Trados, I don't like translating without it anymore. Although I think in some situations translating without Trados would lead to better translations (less sentence based).

So maybe you should compare translators who only use a TM with translators who don't... And maybe you should find translators who are in the process of ge
... See more
Interesting subject. I noticed a real change in the way I translate when I had to switch to Trados (in the Trados pioneering phase). After a long time of using Trados, I don't like translating without it anymore. Although I think in some situations translating without Trados would lead to better translations (less sentence based).

So maybe you should compare translators who only use a TM with translators who don't... And maybe you should find translators who are in the process of getting used to the use of a TM.

Good luck
Collapse

Heather Lane
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 18, 2008

That's a good idea. I know one or two translators who don't work with the programme, and a heap that do, so that would be plausible.

May be taking the same text, or couple of texts, and having people like you suggested translate this/these same text(s) would indeed produce some interesting results.

Cheers!

Heather

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Bear in mind ... Jan 21, 2008

Heather Lane wrote:

That's a good idea. I know one or two translators who don't work with the programme, and a heap that do, so that would be plausible.

May be taking the same text, or couple of texts, and having people like you suggested translate this/these same text(s) would indeed produce some interesting results.

Cheers!

Heather

... that any translator worth his/her salt would revise a "CAT translation" afterwards to sharpen the flow, and polish it particularly from the point of view of segmentation (i.e. in addition to what any professional translator not using a CAT tool would do).

So, I'd suggest you'd need to compare the two translations in their raw (i.e. most basic, pre-revision) form to get reliable results on the actual impact of segmentation.

Best of luck with your studies
Debs

Heather Lane
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
raw translations Jan 21, 2008

Good idea Debs,
I was thinking along the same lines - and then having the translations revised by editors to see how the workload differs.
Thanks for your idea!
Heather

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Segmentation and quality

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »