Thread poster: Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:40
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Jan 24, 2008

I need to access an ftp account set up by a client at DynDNS (a subdomain of dyndns.biz). I tried it with IE7 as well as FileZilla but failed. I can connect to the site, so the username and the password are both correct but there is no data connection then. Here is the log I get in FileZilla:

Commande : USER apiroth
Réponse : 331 Password required for apiroth
Commande : PASS ************
Réponse : 230 Logged on
Statut : Co
... See more
I need to access an ftp account set up by a client at DynDNS (a subdomain of dyndns.biz). I tried it with IE7 as well as FileZilla but failed. I can connect to the site, so the username and the password are both correct but there is no data connection then. Here is the log I get in FileZilla:

Commande : USER apiroth
Réponse : 331 Password required for apiroth
Commande : PASS ************
Réponse : 230 Logged on
Statut : Connecté (Connected)
Statut : Récupération du contenu du répertoire... (Retrieving the contents of the directory...)
Commande : PWD
Réponse : 257 "/" is current directory.
Commande : TYPE I
Réponse : 200 Type set to I
Commande : PASV
Réponse : 227 Entering Passive Mode (81,50,61,192,200,186)
Commande : LIST
Réponse : 425 Can't open data connection.
Erreur : Échec à la lecture du contenu du répertoire (Failed to read the contents of the directory)

Any ideas what to do? I have used FileZilla for some time, and has never had such problems. Maybe I have to change a configuration - or the client?
The client can access the FTP site from several computers located at the same IP address, going through internet. I need to confirm this, but I am fairly sure the data are on his hard drive (same IP address), and not on a server located elsewhere.

Attila
Collapse

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
PASV Jan 24, 2008

Have you tried disabling passive mode?

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved in IE7 Jan 24, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

Have you tried disabling passive mode?

Thank you, this solution worked for IE7:
I went to Tools/Internet Options, and under Browsing options I had to uncheck "Use Passive FTP (for firewall and DSL modem compatibility)".
So the problem is solved - nonetheless if someone has a similar solution for FileZilla, please post it, I will appreciate it.
Best regards,
Attila

tectranslate ITS GmbH
tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Easy-peasy Jan 24, 2008

Attila Piróth wrote:

if someone has a similar solution for FileZilla, please post it, I will appreciate it.

Just use the "Advanced..." button in FileZilla's "Site Manager" or disable it globally via Edit|Settings|Firewall Settings.

HTH,
Benjamin

Attila Piróth
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved for FileZilla Jan 24, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

Attila Piróth wrote:

if someone has a similar solution for FileZilla, please post it, I will appreciate it.

Just use the "Advanced..." button in FileZilla's "Site Manager" or disable it globally via Edit|Settings|Firewall Settings.

HTH,
Benjamin

Hi Benjamin,
By ticking the option "Send FTP Keep-alive commands" in the Edit/Settings tab did the trick
Thanks a lot.
Attila

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FTP problem

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »