Rating a translation job
Thread poster: Rafael Castaneda
Rafael Castaneda
Local time: 13:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 13, 2008

Hi colleagues,

Today I have just received a feedback form in which they rated my translation as "poor". I know this depends on the person who is proofreading and sometimes it is difficult to do that. However, I may think that this time he/she was very hard as the only mistake he/she could find was a "repetitive" wrong use of the gerund in spanish.

Ex. From Strasbourg, the Truck set off on its 34,000 km round-trip across the European Union heading for 32 cities in 19 Member States, including the newest ones, Bulgaria and Romania, and ending in Lisbon on the occasion of the official Closing Conference of the Year in November 2007.

Desde Estrasburgo, el Camión se puso en marcha para recorrer los 34.000 km alrededor de la Unión Europea, dirigiéndose a 32 ciudades de 19 Estados Miembros, incluyendo los más recientes, Bulgaria y Rumanía, y acabando en Lisboa para la celebración del Acto de Clausura del Año en noviembre de 2007.

What should I do? I admit that I might have changed the sentence to improve it. However, do you think is a "so serious" mistake as to rated this 650word translation as "poor".? I know it might be personal pride as well, however I do not want this bad references for my future, as I´m trying hard to do a good job.

Please give me advice,
and thank you in advance.
Rafa

Direct link Reply with quote

Alfredo Fernández Martínez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
A few too many May 14, 2008

Rafael,

there are a bit too many. Try to use synonim expressions in the past, such,

'acabó' , and 'y al acabar'.

Saludos,

Alfredo

laura e. asturias / TransWiz
Guatemala
Local time: 05:50
English to Spanish
Perhaps too harsh May 15, 2008

If that was the only criticism to a 650-word translation, I think it was harsh.

But I also agree with Alfredo. In this particular -and short- paragraph, in order to avoid the use of three gerunds, I'd have written:

"...el Camión se puso en marcha para recorrer los 34.000 km alrededor de la Unión Europea, dirigiéndose a 32 ciudades de 19 Estados Miembros, incluidos los más recientes, Bulgaria y Rumanía, y acabó en Lisboa para la celebración del Acto de Clausura del Año en noviembre de 2007."

Laura

Rafael Castaneda wrote:

Ex. From Strasbourg, the Truck set off on its 34,000 km round-trip across the European Union heading for 32 cities in 19 Member States, including the newest ones, Bulgaria and Romania, and ending in Lisbon on the occasion of the official Closing Conference of the Year in November 2007.

Desde Estrasburgo, el Camión se puso en marcha para recorrer los 34.000 km alrededor de la Unión Europea, dirigiéndose a 32 ciudades de 19 Estados Miembros, incluyendo los más recientes, Bulgaria y Rumanía, y acabando en Lisboa para la celebración del Acto de Clausura del Año en noviembre de 2007.

Rafa

Penelope Ausejo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not poor May 15, 2008

I don't think you can say a 650 words translation is poor because of the use of gerunds in this sentence... To me, it doesn't sound that bad

Rafael Castaneda
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
muchas gracias May 16, 2008

Muchas gracias a todos por vuestros consejos. Es duro abrirse paso al principio y reconozco que aún tengo mucho de aprender de todos vosotros.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rating a translation job

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search