Thread poster: Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester
Theodore Quester  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:51
French to English
+ ...
Jan 28, 2002

Tengo actualmente \"Collins Spanish Dictionary\" pero me gustaría tener un diccionario más grande con más ejemplos de uso. ¿Me pueden decir cual es el diccionario español-inglés considerado el más fiable y exhaustivo?

Gracias

Theodore Quester

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 04:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
I like the "big" Collins Jan 28, 2002

I don\'t know what Collins you have, but I had been using the Simon & Schuster and the Concise Collins for a few years, and decided to check out new general dictionaries about 6 months ago. The owner of the shop, who is very knowledgeable and has helped me decide on other dictionary purchases over the years, recommended either the Oxford or the Collins. I spent a good half hour looking at both of them, and finally chose the Collins (sixth edition, 2000, ISBN 0-00-470152-6). I have not been di... See more
I don\'t know what Collins you have, but I had been using the Simon & Schuster and the Concise Collins for a few years, and decided to check out new general dictionaries about 6 months ago. The owner of the shop, who is very knowledgeable and has helped me decide on other dictionary purchases over the years, recommended either the Oxford or the Collins. I spent a good half hour looking at both of them, and finally chose the Collins (sixth edition, 2000, ISBN 0-00-470152-6). I have not been disappointed. It does have a lot of examples of how words are used, and is so much more useful for me, in Spain, than the Simon and Schuster\'s, which I find is often more oriented towards Latin America and is sometimes missing the words I need to find. However, having said that, I don\'t think any dictionary is perfect, and I find it helps to have 2 decent ones to complement each other (so far the S&S and Collins together are working out well for me).

I would also recommend having a good English only dictionary as well as a good Spanish only dictionary (like the D.R.A.E.), as I think these are absolutely essential to corroborate any dubious translations, or come up with your own if certain meanings of the word are not in your Spanish-English dictionary.

Good luck!

Cindy
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:51
Spanish to English
+ ...
I agree with Cindy Jan 28, 2002

...and I complement this with Moliner\'s monolingual Diccionario de Uso (gives you the variations) plus the Oxford Thesaurus.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:51
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simon & Schuster, Moliner Jan 28, 2002

Cindy, and Cecilia are right!

Simon & Schuster, and Moliner are a must!

Regards,

Clarisa

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:51
Spanish to English
Two general dictionaries Jan 28, 2002

Like Cindy, I use two general dictionaries at the same time, Collins and Oxford. The Oxford is quite old (1994) and the Collins is the sixth edition too. I mainly bought a new one because the Oxford is beginning to fall to pieces. However, now that I have both, I couldn\'t translate without both of them. The Collins has lots of terms that are not in the Oxford, and different translation ideas for many words, and is permanently open on my desk. But when I have to translate something \"meatier\", ... See more
Like Cindy, I use two general dictionaries at the same time, Collins and Oxford. The Oxford is quite old (1994) and the Collins is the sixth edition too. I mainly bought a new one because the Oxford is beginning to fall to pieces. However, now that I have both, I couldn\'t translate without both of them. The Collins has lots of terms that are not in the Oxford, and different translation ideas for many words, and is permanently open on my desk. But when I have to translate something \"meatier\", when style and choice of words count a great deal, I always end up turning to the Oxford, as I find the Collins isn\'t able to give me the right word I\'m looking for.

And I agree with Celia about the New Oxford Thesaurus. It\'s brilliant!

HTH
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:51
German to English
Which Oxford Thesaurus is brilliant? Feb 7, 2002

I\'ve been looking for a good thesaurus to supplement my Roget\'s for some time. When I saw your recommendations of the Oxford I went straight to Amazon.com but found there are many. The New Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus, the Oxford Desk Thesaurus, the Oxford College Thesaurus and the Oxford Thesaurus, 1992, to name only some of them. Which one is the brilliant one?

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:51
Spanish to English
Brilliant (IMHO) Feb 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-02-07 05:14, kmetzger wrote:

I\'ve been looking for a good thesaurus to supplement my Roget\'s for some time. When I saw your recommendations of the Oxford I went straight to Amazon.com but found there are many. The New Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus, the Oxford Desk Thesaurus, the Oxford College Thesaurus and the Oxford Thesaurus, 1992, to name only some of them. Which one is the brilliant one?

... See more
Quote:

On 2002-02-07 05:14, kmetzger wrote:

The New Oxford Thesaurus of English, Chief Editor Patrick Hanks, First published 2000

\"more ways than any other thesaurus to help make what you write and say more interesting\" ▲ Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

diccionario español-inglés - recomendaciones

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »