Off topic: PayPal: Is it reliable?
Thread poster: Natalia Pedersen
Natalia Pedersen  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 8, 2003

I was wondering if someone could give me some feedback on how to use PayPal, and whether it is reliable or not.
Thanks!

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
See http://www.proz.com/topic/13183 Aug 9, 2003

http://www.proz.com/topic/13183

For other countries, it's good for amounts of between $300 and $3,000. Lower or higher than that, you lose...

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
It's been discussed before, but... Aug 9, 2003

...I myself placed a posting on this long time ago. Over a year of experience after I can say I haven't had any problem -for Mexico, that is. No clue about other countries.

Cheers,
Atenea

Atenea Acevedo  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
meant "later," not "after"... Aug 9, 2003

sorry!

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:18
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I use it all the time. Aug 9, 2003

I just received a payment from Australia in good order. Most of the time I use it to receive payments from Europe, but this time the client and I tried to use the service from Australia. It worked like a charm.

But, as everyone says, if you have a larger amount, it is expensive. They charge you a percentage of the amount that you receive, so for larger amounts that tends to be expensive.

I also use it all the time to make payments.

Lucinda.

María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 20:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sin problemas Aug 9, 2003

Lo uso sin problemas en Canadá, fundamentalmente para recibir pagos, pero también lo he usado para realizar un pago y todo funciona con normalidad. Lo que nunca intenté hacer es transferir el dinero que tengo en PayPal a mi cuenta bancaria. Sé que ahí también te cobran un porcentaje (nada es gratis, obvio).

Suerte.

ALE

Natalia Pedersen  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Aug 12, 2003

Thanks for your help! =)

Miguel Llorens  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Caveat emptor Aug 13, 2003

I've used the system once and I didn't have any problems. However... after doing a little research over the Internet, I believe I'd think twice about using it again unless a client absolutely insisted on it. Check out this website:

http://www.paypalwarning.com/

As I said earlier, although I did in the end get the money deposited in my bank account from a client's payment, I first had to send Paypal additional information about my bank account and other personal details via fax. Furthermore, the approval of my account by Paypal took several days. During that somewhat irksome process, I was able to verify that Paypal's customer service is somewhat mediocre and if there ever were a problem with your money, the e-mails you send get automatic replies and you will never actualy get through to a representative. So although I can't contribute a horror story like the ones on the site I referenced earlier, common sense dictates that you withdraw any funds ipso facto as soon as they're received. It says somewhere on the warning website, that Paypal is not a bank, so if it goes under (something not unheard of in cyberspace) the U.S. Federal government will not provide any protection to you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PayPal: Is it reliable?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search