Consultas sobre Tarifas de Transcripción y Traducción en México
Thread poster: Lorena Riquelme

Lorena Riquelme  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
May 21, 2009

Buenas noches.

Quisiera saber cuál es la tarifa mínima que se cobra, como agencia mexicana de traducción a un cliente mexicano (editorial médica), por transcripción de audio en inglés + traducción al español de esa transcripción. También quisiera saber qué conviene más hacer, si hacer la transcripción del audio y luego la traducción, o traducir al español directamente del audio en inglés. Me imagino que esta segunda posibilidad es más compleja y, por ende, implicaría una tarifa más alta, ¿no?

El audio es sobre material espiritual, con lenguaje bastante general, y serían aproximadamente unas 50 horas de audio.

Me gustaría ofrecerle al cliente una tarifa integral, que incluya la tarifa por transcripción y la tarifa por traducción. ¿Conviene hacer esto o conviene presupuestar por separado ambos servicios?

¿Se cobra por hora de audio original o por horas de transcripción? En este último caso, ¿cómo verifica el cliente que realmente se trabajaron las horas presupuestadas?

Espero sus amables respuestas.

Desde ya, muchas gracias.

Lorena

Richard Boulter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
See the ProZ forum on 'Transcription' May 21, 2009

I am pleased to see that the conversation continues among language service providers in Mexico on the rates and fees for our work. I lived and worked in Mexico for 3 or 4 years as a freelance translator/interpreter. In general, naturally, bilingual transcription must be paid for on the basis of what the translator needs to make to pay his/her own living and business expenses, plus whatever profit is expected. The methods of setting the rate are a bit more-complicated than other services, it seems to me from comments in the ProZ forum on this subject. There are many, many entries and some of them may shed some light on your interests in Mexico. I heartily recommend reading those, as they suggest some expenses and give some estimates of actual time and resouce investment for providing a bilingual transcription.
Some issues I recall from the comments included pricing separately for transcription and for translation, having (or buying) effective equipment to work with, estimates of actual time invested for doing transcription/translation separately vs. simultaneously, ethical justification for prices reflecting TWO different professions separately, and actual fees charged by professional monolingual transcriptionists as well as actual fees charged for bilingual transcription by several ProZ members. You may be able to extrapolate some of this into a good, fair fee in today's Mexican market.
You may be interested in the article entitled TRANSLATION RATES & FEES by myself and Guadalupe Sanchez. Lupita was a board member of the OMT and is a translation agency owner with decades of experience in Colima, Mexico. The article may be found in the ProZ Translation Business forum, Finances section. Best of luck to you, in all that you do.

Richard Boulter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
My own rates years ago May 21, 2009

In my own work in Mexico, before 2004, I was able to get along nicely by charging 150 pesos per page of pure translation (250 words) as a base rate. To this I added a charge of 250 pesos per hour of transcription, figuring that it would take me a half-hour per minute of tape to transcribe and check for accuracy. This was for good-to-fair recordings in generally-understandable Spanish; if the conversation was street jargon or otherwise hard to understand and transcribe, this cost more. I always requested a preview sample of the recordings to be worked with. I figured up each factor separately, established a consolidated base rate per minute for THIS transcription, and then submitted my estimate on the job giving both price per minute of tape and a total for the job. It may be useful to you to think about how many words the normal speaker will say in a minute of tape; it varies among various types of people, but 125 words/minute is a base rate of competency for a conference interpreter. The talk can go much faster for many different reasons such as dialects, professional purposes of the speaker, emotional charge, intent to convince/dominate/confuse another by the speaker, etc. Don't forget that one must also charge for the considerable preparation/estimation time that one has invested, as an embedded cost in the pricing. I hope that this is helpful, here in our forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Consultas sobre Tarifas de Transcripción y Traducción en México

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search