Thread poster: Jairo Sánchez Galvis
Jairo Sánchez Galvis
Jairo Sánchez Galvis
Spain
Local time: 15:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 20, 2009

Al revisar traducciones literarias inglés-español de obras provenientes del Caribe (Walcott, Naipaul, Selvon, Antoni, etc), se puede percibir que las variantes regionales tienden a estandarizarse en traducción, especialmente cuando éstas se hacen al español ibérico.

Para contextualizar la discusión quisiera proponer el siguiente extracto del cuento "The Tale of How Iguana Got Her Wrinkles or The True Tale of El Dorado" de Robert Antoni:

"Ayeeyosmío! You want m
... See more
Al revisar traducciones literarias inglés-español de obras provenientes del Caribe (Walcott, Naipaul, Selvon, Antoni, etc), se puede percibir que las variantes regionales tienden a estandarizarse en traducción, especialmente cuando éstas se hacen al español ibérico.

Para contextualizar la discusión quisiera proponer el siguiente extracto del cuento "The Tale of How Iguana Got Her Wrinkles or The True Tale of El Dorado" de Robert Antoni:

"Ayeeyosmío! You want me to give you this nasty story? Well you best push up close here beside me so I don't have to talk too loud. Even though at ninety-six years of age I can't make so much more noise anyway, and worse still since I lost the teeth. Because when the man carried them the other day with me bawling thief! thief! behind him, he only continued climbing through the window smiling he big horsesmile at me with my own teeth in he mouth, and me there with my gums and my lips flapping, and nothing more than the soft thufft! thufft! like a fart coming out my mouth. Sweet heart of Jesus! So I don't have my jewels no more - that is how I used to call the teeth -and when I try to talk up loud everything comes out in a jumble beneath the shower, but Johnny, it would take plenty more than that to shut me up."
Tomado de: http://www.barcelonareview.com/20/e_ra.htm

La traducción oficial hecha por Jesús Zulaika, un reconocido traductor de literatura contemporánea, versa:

"¡Ayiosmío! ¿De verdad quieres que te cuente esta historia picante? Bien, será mejor que te acerques un poco más para que no tenga que hablar tan alto. Aunque la verdad es que con los noventa y seis años que tengo no puedo hacer demasiado ruido, y menos aún desde que perdí los dientes. Porque cuando aquel hombre se iba con ellos el otro día mientras yo gritaba ¡al ladrón, al ladrón! desde arriba, lo que hizo fue seguir descolgándose por la ventana sonriéndome con una gran sonrisa caballuna y con mis propios dientes en la boca, y yo allí con las encías desnudas y los labios temblones, y sin conseguir que salieran de ellos más que un suave ¡zuft zuft!, como un pedo que en lugar de por abajo me saliera por la boca. ¡Virgen Santísima! Así que ya no tengo mis joyas que es como llamaba yo a mis dientes, y cuando trato de hablar alto lo que me sale es una especie de galimatías bajo la ducha, pero, Johnny, haría falta mucho más que eso para callarme."

A mi modo de ver, aunque literariamente es una traducción excelente, se ha perdido la variación lingüística que caracteriza al cuento.

¿Es posible recuperar la variación en español? ¿Cómo?

Gracias de antemano por sus contribuciones.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Traducción de dialectos caribeños

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »