Kelly McGuir (X)
Kelly McGuir (X)
Local time: 15:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2005

Saludos a todos!

Tengo una pregunta...

Si alguien ya sabe el castellano y puede leer el gallego sin muchas dificultades, es posible que esta persona puede trabajar en la traducción gallego>inglés?

Ya trabajo como traductora de español>inglés y me gustaría trabajar como traductora de gallego>inglés algún día. Entiendo el gallego escrito sin problemas pero nunca he tratado de hablar en gallego.

(Apologies if there are any mist
... See more
Saludos a todos!

Tengo una pregunta...

Si alguien ya sabe el castellano y puede leer el gallego sin muchas dificultades, es posible que esta persona puede trabajar en la traducción gallego>inglés?

Ya trabajo como traductora de español>inglés y me gustaría trabajar como traductora de gallego>inglés algún día. Entiendo el gallego escrito sin problemas pero nunca he tratado de hablar en gallego.

(Apologies if there are any mistakes with my Spanish...I'm still half-asleep!)
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 09:01
French to English
+ ...
Peligroso Nov 19, 2005

Kelly McGuire wrote:

Saludos a todos!

Tengo una pregunta...

Diría que es peligroso. Entiendo casi perfectamente el gallego, pero sería muy peligroso hacer lo que dices. Hay gente que intenta hacer lo mismo con el catalán, pero siempre hay falsos amigos que hacen que eso sea peligroso (por ejemplo, "cama" en catalán significa "pierna"). Seguro que hay falsos amigos también en gallego.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
yes, with a little prep Nov 19, 2005

Kelly McGuire wrote:

Saludos a todos!

Tengo una pregunta...

I think you could, for certain kinds of texts, i.e. avoiding ones where you need to understand the culture of a country or region in depth.

Para ciertos textos, pienso que si, aconsejejaría evitar los textos donde se necesita entender la cultura a fondo....

You have the problem that you are not living in the culture, though .... which maybe you can compensate for by reading a lot in Galician first, just to get a feel for the language and to start getting a sense of differences with Spanish.

Tienes el problema de que no vives en la cultura...puede que se compensa con la lectura en gallego como preparación, para 'sentir' el idioma y para empezar a reconocer las diferencias con el ES.

I translate from ES, CAT, GAL and PT, but I only feel comfortable speaking and writing my own language (becuase I'm a native) and ES (becuase I live and function in Spain). I happen to understand the other languages very well though, nearly 100% in written form, becuase I have lived in these cultures and have read a lot in these languages, and the problem is that I don't have enough constant exposure to GAL and PT to maintain what spoken skills I had. Many years ago I had good French and German (and Irish, studied for 14 years to the age of 18), but I have lost these along the way, as one inevitably does, from lack of exposure to the cultures and from living in other-language cultures.

Yo traduzco del ES, GAL, PT y CAT, pero solamente me siento a gusto escribiendo y hablando mi propio idioma o el idioma en que vivo/trabajo (el ES). Entiendo los otros idiomas muy bien, casi al 100% en escrito, porque he vivido en los paises y he leído mucho...y el problema con PT y GAL es que no estoy suficientemente expuesta para mantenener el nivel que antes tuve en hablarlos. Hace mucho años, sabía bien el FR y DE, pero los he perdido (también el irlandés, que estudiaba durantes los primeros 18 años de mi vida casi), por vivir en otros paises donde hablan otros idiomas.

Some people may say I speak these translation languages OK, but the fact is, I prefer whenever possible to express myself in my 1st and 2nd language ... although I'm learning CAT fast becuase I'm living in an area where it is spoken very widely, and I hear it and read it constantly.

Es posible que me expreso en estos idiomas, pero simplemente prefiero utilizar mis dos primeros idiomas....aunque estoy aprendiendo CAT rapidamente, ya que vivo en una zona donde apenas se habla otra cosa, y vivo bastante inmerso en la cultura.

I don't agree that one necessarily falls for false friends. There is an inherent logic in standard informational/scientific texts that good translators follow; in other words, an expert translator has a nose for ambiguities and doesn't fall for simplistic type false friends, although may make other errors...as all translators do, no matter how well they know a language.

No estoy de acuerdo con que no se detecta los amigos falsos. Hay una logica en los textos cientificos o formales que un buen traductor es capaz de seguir. Es decir, un traductor experto detecta ambiguedades...aunque puede ser que comete errores...tal como todos los traductores.

Someone commented to me the other day that Bertrand Russell, the UK philosopher, translated very successfully from FR without being able to speak the language...I don't know the truth of that and haven't been able to confirm, sadly:-)...but I can believe it, especially if you know your subject area.

Alguien me comentó el otro dia que bertrand Russell, el filosofo inglés, traducía del FR al EN sin poder hablar el idioma....lo puedo creer, sobre todo si el tema es familiar o conocido.

Siento, no me dí cuenta de que la pregunta estaba en español:-(

[Edited at 2005-11-19 16:22]

Ya lo teneis ...a modo de traducción:-)

[Edited at 2005-11-20 01:01]

María José Iglesias
María José Iglesias  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Resumen Nov 19, 2005

Lia Fail wrote:
Siento, no me dí cuenta de que la pregunta estaba en español:-(

[Edited at 2005-11-19 16:22]

Un pequeño resumen, entonces, "please".

María José Iglesias
María José Iglesias  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Spanish
+ ...
Depende... Nov 19, 2005

Pues en este caso te diría que todo depende del dominio que tú tengas del idioma gallego, independientemente del nivel que tengas de español, pues el "gallego" es un verdadero idioma.

Kelly McGuir (X)
Kelly McGuir (X)
Local time: 15:01
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good thoughts. Nov 19, 2005

Hi Lia,

Don't worry that the answer isn't in Spanish. Either language will do.

I've done quite a bit of reading of Galician news articles and other text and think I could handle the language with a little more self-study. I've even been able to tackle some works of literature, such as 'Que me queres, amor' by Manuel Rivas in their original. I've found it close enough to Spanish to be able to understand the
... See more
Hi Lia,

Don't worry that the answer isn't in Spanish. Either language will do.

I've done quite a bit of reading of Galician news articles and other text and think I could handle the language with a little more self-study. I've even been able to tackle some works of literature, such as 'Que me queres, amor' by Manuel Rivas in their original. I've found it close enough to Spanish to be able to understand the texts and have been attentive to the differences between the two languages (which are relatively minor). I've also done quite a bit of reading on Galician culture and history in the past to get a better understanding of the language and I'm fairly confident I will be able to get up to date with contemporary issues and language thanks to the good selection of resources available via the Net (online media streams are a good start).

Still, I've been quite busy working on my existing language pairs but I really would love to do some Galician>English translation in future as I find the language (and its people) fascinating. It's a shame that it's so hard to find Galician language courses outside of Spain and there are next to no self-study books available.
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 03:01
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Nota de la moderadora Nov 19, 2005

Hola

No quiero parecer pesada pero les recuerdo lo que dicen las reglas:

4. El inglés como idioma de trabajo
Se recomienda usar el inglés como idioma de trabajo en los foros que no están destinados a otro idioma. Se toleran excepciones mientras no dificulten la comprensión de la discusión.

Un esfuerzo, por favor...

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

El español, el gallego y la traducción

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »