Thread poster: Sandy T
Sandy T
Sandy T  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 26, 2002

I just received an offer on line for a translation job. It\'s for a document of about 3400 words, not technical. My problem is that I have never worked as a freelancer in the USA. I used to in Argentina.

My question is how do I charge the client? Do I need a contract? an invoice? How can I get invoices? How about taxes? I am authorized to work in the USA, of course!

Thanks for your help!

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hi Jul 26, 2002

At the very least, a purchase order from the client in order to begin the job. Then, where are you based, Argentina or physically in the US, with resident VAT number?

Sandy T
Sandy T  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Form of payment Jul 26, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-26 10:57, Parrot wrote:

At the very least, a purchase order from the client in order to begin the job. Then, where are you based, Argentina or physically in the US, with resident VAT number?

Hola!

Thanks for your reply! I am physically in the USA. But I have never worked as a freelance here. I used to in Argentina.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:38
Spanish to English
+ ...
US Agencies Jul 26, 2002

are not required to report payments of less than $600/year to the IRS. Foreigners invoicing with a foreign VAT number need to sign a W-9 (or some such) form in order for the agency to get them exempted from withholding taxes. If you apply for US VAT registration (do you have the prerequisites?) it\'s another ball game I don\'t know, other colleagues based in the US and invoicing from the US may be able to inform you.

Get these questions settled ASAP, as the agency might be p
... See more
are not required to report payments of less than $600/year to the IRS. Foreigners invoicing with a foreign VAT number need to sign a W-9 (or some such) form in order for the agency to get them exempted from withholding taxes. If you apply for US VAT registration (do you have the prerequisites?) it\'s another ball game I don\'t know, other colleagues based in the US and invoicing from the US may be able to inform you.

Get these questions settled ASAP, as the agency might be pending your response and it\'s usually better to get your status clear before invoicing time.

Collapse

John Guzman
John Guzman
Local time: 03:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
I think this should be moved to money matters Jul 26, 2002

I think that there is a braoder audience in that forum. Even though the information Parrot gave you is accurate and basically all you need, I would also post the question there so you can get as many avenues of action as possible. I say for the current job go to the ATA\'s web site, download a contract and send it back to the client. Before you take another job get your situation resolved.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoicing

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »