https://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/5778-off_topic_with_a_little_help_from_my_friends.html

Off topic: OFF TOPIC With a little help from my friends....:-)))
Thread poster: Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)
Aurora Humarán (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 17, 2002

Hola chicos:

Ante todo: HANS GÄRTNER...estás por ahí????

¡¡¡ FELIZ CUMPLE !!!!

¿Dónde es la fiesta? En Mc.Donalds???

¿A qué hora le digo a mi mamá que me pase a buscar?

Bueno, vengo a molestar vuestra amable atención continuando con el primer experimento propuesto por la estimada col
... See more
Hola chicos:

Ante todo: HANS GÄRTNER...estás por ahí????

¡¡¡ FELIZ CUMPLE !!!!

¿Dónde es la fiesta? En Mc.Donalds???

¿A qué hora le digo a mi mamá que me pase a buscar?

Bueno, vengo a molestar vuestra amable atención continuando con el primer experimento propuesto por la estimada colega Doña Claudia Iglesias....

Tengo un compañero de la oficina que es fanático por la música, especialmente de The Clash y me preguntó un par de cosas sobre la canción que pego abajo, la verdad ¡¡¡¡???? no tengo la menor idea.

¿Me quieren/pueden dar una manito?

Los conceptos/metáforas/palabras/alusiones que puedan...

Ah...no se molesten con bloodclaat, ya la consulté en KudoZ (shame on me...ni me imaginaba eso, en fin...)

Gracias, chicos.

Off topic dentro del off topic: a este compañero no le puedo negar nada, es un ex-jugador de la Selección Argentina de Rugby (Los Pumas, tal vez los conozcan) y mide algo así como 3.14 m o 3.15 m , por ahí....

Au

If you don`t know where I come from

You better stear clear of my trail

From the dark side of London

And that`s way beyond the pale

My grandpa came from Russia

Stowed away hidden in some bales

And he took my grandma dancing

To the air raid sirens hail

Saint George used his sword

On the immigrant poor

`Cos he can`t kill no dragon

If I was in those shoes

I`d say Soweto`s gonna happen here too

I gotta get a message through

Tell everybody the news

And with the winter coming...

Crossing all the borders

Through the smoke of war and rain

Papers out of order

On a military train

A coat a bag a baby

These are the people of my family

Don`t anybody know that

This city was made

Of immigrant blood and money

If I was in those shoes

A blackshirt with the playboy blues

Tell everybody the news

Now there`s a rocker in Vladivostok

Got every side by Jerry Lee

But for accidents of disorder

That guy could well be me

I want everybody to know this

I want everyone to hear

Immigration built the nation

You got a bloodclaat standing here

On the immigrant poor

If I was in those shoes

Tell everybody the news

Don`t anybody know that

The city was made

Of immigrant blood and money

If I was in those shoes

Tell everybody the news

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-17 13:36 ]
Collapse

Ester Vidal (X)
Ester Vidal (X)
Local time: 09:47
English to Catalan
+ ...
Saint George and the Dragon Oct 17, 2002

Igual ya lo sabes, pero por si acaso:

en Cataluña (España), Sant Jordi (George) es el patrón de los enamorados, algo así como el día de San Valentín.

La leyenda cuenta que había un dragón que se iba a comer a una princesa y el caballero Sant Jordi le mató con una espada, y de la sangre del dragón floreció una rosa roja y, obviamente, la princesa se casó con Sant Jordi y vivieron muy felices.

Por esto cada año el 23 de Abril en Cataluña los chicos enam
... See more
Igual ya lo sabes, pero por si acaso:

en Cataluña (España), Sant Jordi (George) es el patrón de los enamorados, algo así como el día de San Valentín.

La leyenda cuenta que había un dragón que se iba a comer a una princesa y el caballero Sant Jordi le mató con una espada, y de la sangre del dragón floreció una rosa roja y, obviamente, la princesa se casó con Sant Jordi y vivieron muy felices.

Por esto cada año el 23 de Abril en Cataluña los chicos enamorados regalan a sus novias una rosa roja, y ellas a ellos un libro. ¿Será que creen que no sabemos leer? ))

Collapse

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Se va armando la historia... Oct 17, 2002

Gracias Ester.

Yo paso de flores, ¿se puede negociar?

Au

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-17 15:34 ]

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
A Hans le vamos a dejar tiempo con la familia... Oct 17, 2002

... pero tenemos que hacer ese intercambio de recursos en CD, eh? Una hogaza de pan y agua del pozo en un lugar de La Mancha ...

¡¡¡Feliz cumple!!!

Hans Gärtner
Hans Gärtner  Identity Verified
German to Spanish
+ ...
Me abrumáis Oct 17, 2002

Dada mi limitadísima capacidad literaria, he decidido que la mejor manera de agradeceros las felicitaciones es cambiando, temporalmente, el logo por una foto para que veáis los ojillos de alegría que se me han puesto.

<
... See more
Dada mi limitadísima capacidad literaria, he decidido que la mejor manera de agradeceros las felicitaciones es cambiando, temporalmente, el logo por una foto para que veáis los ojillos de alegría que se me han puesto.

Hans

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-17 17:28 ]
Collapse

mgonzalez (X)
mgonzalez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Felicidades, Hans. Oct 17, 2002

Aurora: siento no poder ayudarte. Un cordial saludo a todos. MG.

Francis Icaza
Francis Icaza
United States
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Felicidades a Hans Oct 17, 2002

Happy Birthday my good Proz Colleague. May you have all that you wish for and an extra bottle of wine into the bargain. As the Irish say: May you be in Heaven ten minutes before the Devil knows you’re dead. I hope to bait Irish Jack D., with my poor rendition so that he’ll come and correct me and enlighten us all as his is custom!

Truly, Hans many happy returns. Feliz Cumpleaños, Sapo verde Tu Yu, Enhorabuena!!!

Now on to Au´s request for clar
... See more
Happy Birthday my good Proz Colleague. May you have all that you wish for and an extra bottle of wine into the bargain. As the Irish say: May you be in Heaven ten minutes before the Devil knows you’re dead. I hope to bait Irish Jack D., with my poor rendition so that he’ll come and correct me and enlighten us all as his is custom!

Truly, Hans many happy returns. Feliz Cumpleaños, Sapo verde Tu Yu, Enhorabuena!!!

Now on to Au´s request for clarification:

I love these challenges, they are riveting to me. Here go some of my opinions, speculations and extrapolations on the metaphors and even on the hyperbole contained below. I guessed a couple of times, too.

From the dark side of London

*---The lower, poorer areas

My grandpa came from Russia

Stowed away hidden in some bales

*---Illegal aliens in trucks and/or boats.

And he took my grandma dancing

To the air raid sirens hail

*---Means they arrived during WW II (probably fleeing from death and hunger in eastern Europe and Eurasia)and lived through the Blitzkreig and the Battle of Britain.

On the immigrant poor

*---Saint George is the Patron Saint of England. According to legend, a pagan town in Libya was being terrorised by a dragon. The locals kept throwing sheep to it to placate it, and when it still remained unsatisfied, they started sacrificing some of their neighbours and “friends”, Libyans are like that sometimes, you would be too, especially when you have a Libyan dragon on your hands. Finally, the local princess was to be thrown also to the beast, but Good Saint George (sneaky bastard had been biding his time waiting for a more attractive piece of bait to save) came along, slaughtered the dragon and rescued the fair princess.

The symbols explained are that the Dragon represented Satan and the Princess represented the Christian Church. Saint George rescued the pagans from evil by vanquishing it and saved the Church from being devoured by the insatiable forces of darkness. What I think they mean is that those amongst the English who belittle, batter and murder the immigrants are St. George and rather than fighting Satan (or any other Dragon for that matter) they embody it/him and attack the defenceless. Sigo...

If I was in those shoes

*---If I were St. George/the fascists, I’d try to justify my cowardice and criminal behaviour by sounding the “alarm” too.

Crossing all the borders

Through the smoke of war and rain

*---Invariably immigrants flee strife, war and inhumanity. Rarely is the weather any good to boot.

A coat a bag a baby

These are the people of my family

*---These are the identifiers that those who flee almost always display that give them away. Small kids, no baggage other than a paper bag or burlap sack and an ill fitting top coat. Many times, charitable organisations assist refugees as they flee or during their travels. The help is usually clothing and food. The “papers out of order” are the result of the buzzards who sell travel docs to refugees at exorbitant prices, docs that often get them into to trouble. That way they are returned or rejected at the border and the cycle begins anew.

If I was in those shoes

*--- A blackshirt Refers to the followers of and later those who distorted the positions held by people like Sir Oswald Mosely In the early 30\'s, appalled at the indolence and comprehensive incompetence of the Conservatives\' in Government, allied to the incompetence of Labour, both in and out of office, Mosley founded the British Union of Fascists. The BUF (love that acronym), whose members wore a quasi military style of uniform, adopted the Fascist salute (the right arm raised stiffly heavenwards) and, of course, the famous (or infamous, depending on one\'s point of view) Blackshirt.

...the playboy blues

*---This probably from a song by Andrew Tibbs, (I\'m not sure) a bluesman of years gone by. He had a song titled \"Bilbo is Dead\", recorded it in 1947 or 1948 methinks, and the lyrics went something like this:

“I was a playboy and a devil, I had time that was really wild

Since mister Bilbo is dead, it makes me feel like a fatherless child

...yes Bilbo is gone, yes he had to put it down

I feel like a lonesome stranger in my own home town

Well you\'ve been livin\' in the big city, broke and had to get along

But you can hurry back to Mississippi, cause Bilbo is dead and gone

Yes he\'s gone, whoa he had put it down

I feel like a lonesome stranger in my own home town

“Well I feel like a lonesome stranger, yes a stranger in my own home town...”

---Or something like that.

*----What this means is up for grabs. It may mean they expect (or at the time the song was written expected) the more recalcitrant right-wing powers in the UK to implement dormant immigration legislation drafted to limit refugees from entering and placing new restrictions on those who have already qualified. It may mean something entirely different.

Now there`s a rocker in Vladivostok

Got every side by Jerry Lee

*---There’s a guy like me in Russia (where the singer’s grandparents came from) who’s got every 45 rpm record by Jerry Lee Lewis. A major influence on R&R who got some help from some blues players like Muddy Waters and Howlin’ Wolf. Little Richard was a pioneer as well and Elvis capitalised on everyone else’s genius and made all the money...but I digress.

But for accidents of disorder

That guy could well be me

*---But for the grace of God there go I

You got a bloodclaat standing here

*---This is an insult used mainly by West Indian natives in and outside of the Caribbean. Thanks to Au, you can view the explanation at: http://www.proz.com/?sp=h&id=291733

Because of West Indian immigration to the UK, it has become a term used by both natives and immigrants. The skinheads and other fascists use this to refer to anyone they feel is not “English” (whatever that is these days).

Ta daaaaaaaaaaa! Best I could do. Excuse the typos, please.

Happy Birthday Hans

F.
Collapse

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
¡Felicidades! Oct 17, 2002

Efectivamente se ve brillito en los ojos, espero que no sea sólo hoy

Lo del agua del pozo ... ¿pensáis lavaros las pezuñas en ella?

¡Vivan los Libra!

María T. Vargas
María T. Vargas  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Froehliche Geburstag! Oct 17, 2002

Hola Hans:

Espero no haberme equivocado mucho al saludarte. No tengo \"umlaut\" ni tildes aun en mi PC (no se si espero con mas ansias a Miguel que viene desde Buenos Aires o al tecnico que viene desde mi misma ciudad, supuestamente mañana), por eso \"oe\".

Un abrazo,

Pampi

Aurora Humarán (X)
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Francis Oct 17, 2002

Guau... y miau... y mi Dios, sos un CAPO.

Mil gracias!

Au

Francis Icaza
Francis Icaza
United States
Local time: 03:47
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aurora Oct 18, 2002

Gracias por lo de Capo. Eres sumamente amable. Me llamó la atención la solicitud sobre letra de The Clash. Si, me aplqué un poco, no todo lo tenía en el disco duro (no me acordaba si el dragón era libio, turco, palestino o de dónde cuernos era). De manera que tuve que ir a unas páginas web y confirmar ciertos datos. Corté y pegué un par de cosas para protegerme de la capacidad legislativa de mi teclado.

Tuve que abrir un par de .zip files y zip disks mentales p
... See more
Gracias por lo de Capo. Eres sumamente amable. Me llamó la atención la solicitud sobre letra de The Clash. Si, me aplqué un poco, no todo lo tenía en el disco duro (no me acordaba si el dragón era libio, turco, palestino o de dónde cuernos era). De manera que tuve que ir a unas páginas web y confirmar ciertos datos. Corté y pegué un par de cosas para protegerme de la capacidad legislativa de mi teclado.

Tuve que abrir un par de .zip files y zip disks mentales para dar pilas al \"long term memory\" que me acompaña en mis quehaceres (ojalá fueran) diarios de intérprete.

Una vez unzipped los files, el poco de trivia regresó a mi memoria y empezó a caer en cascadas en mi estudio. Ahora tengo esta inundación de citas, imágenes, fotos circa 1947, grabados de la época romana, dragones, refugiados, dragones-refugiados, todos desparramados por doquier. No se puede ni caminar acá. Esto lo tendré que secar antes de que regrese mi esposa y otra vez me encuentre flotanto entre tanta información (hasta este momento) inútil. Gracias Au por demostrar que no lo era tanto.

La que se va a armar si llega y no he limpiado este desastre.

¿Dónde puse mi tecno-cubeta y mi esponja virtual, eh?

F

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-19 14:45 ]
Collapse

schwensen (X)
schwensen (X)  Identity Verified
Spanish to Danish
+ ...
Para Hans Oct 18, 2002

Un poco tarde, pero verte la cara me ha dado el empujón necesario para desearte un feliz cumpleaños; o mejor dicho, ahora que ya ha pasado, que cumplas muchos, muchos más.

Y a Au, pues ni flores en cuanto al tema de la canción, pero creo que nuestro compa ya lo ha dicho todo, y de qué manera! Quisiera tener zips mentales de ese tipo! ;o)

Saludos a todos,

Anna

Martin Perazzo
Martin Perazzo  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Felicidades a Hans y CHAPEAU a Francis Oct 18, 2002

A Hans, lamento no estar cerca para poder invitarte a un traguito.

Y a Francis - Me encantó cómo desmenuzaste la letra. ¡Espero que logres limpiar tu cibercubículo antes de que te pillen con las manos en la masa!

Saludos y abrazos de otro Libra,

Martín

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)
José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk (X)  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
No viene al tema pero.. Oct 18, 2002

Hola Au,

Perdona que me meta en tu tema. No voy a contestar sino a felicitar a Hans, otra vez, y a decirle que ya era hora que D. Sancho mostrase su faz....

Francis, no dejas de sorprenderme.

Abrazos a todos ...
See more
Hola Au,

Perdona que me meta en tu tema. No voy a contestar sino a felicitar a Hans, otra vez, y a decirle que ya era hora que D. Sancho mostrase su faz....

Francis, no dejas de sorprenderme.

Abrazos a todos

JL
Collapse

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
Felicitaciones y dragones Oct 18, 2002

Felicitaciones varias:

Para Hans, por el cumpleaños y por poner la foto. Es mucho más lindo comunicarse con alguien a quien le conoces la cara que a un loguito abstracto.

Para Au por la ocurrencia de proponer este tema

Y sobre todo para Francis por su alucinante demostración de sapiencia y buen humor. Me encantó tu descripción de San Jorge!

No te olvides de barrer el dragón debajo de la alfombra antes de q
... See more
Felicitaciones varias:

Para Hans, por el cumpleaños y por poner la foto. Es mucho más lindo comunicarse con alguien a quien le conoces la cara que a un loguito abstracto.

Para Au por la ocurrencia de proponer este tema

Y sobre todo para Francis por su alucinante demostración de sapiencia y buen humor. Me encantó tu descripción de San Jorge!

No te olvides de barrer el dragón debajo de la alfombra antes de que regrese tu esposa. A fin de cuentas es lo que hacemos todos, esconder nuestros dragones debajo de las alfombras del alma.

Un abrazo a todos!

Quique
[addsig]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

OFF TOPIC With a little help from my friends....:-)))

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »