https://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/60788-warning_colleagues%3A_a_new_and_improved_nigerian_scam.html

Warning colleagues: A new and improved "Nigerian scam"
Thread poster: Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils
Luis Arri Cibils  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 2, 2006

Dear colleagues,

WARNING!

I have just received an email, asking for my interpreting services for 10 days in December, 2006 to help the sender’s wife, still a Reverend, to do some shopping when they visit Greer, SC, of all the places! Of course, the wife is Spanish-speaking (EN>ES is still my pair, as stated on the ATA website), and still a Reverend. As usual, the email offers to pay in advance (to later cancel the assignment and request a partial refund; as usual, t
... See more
Dear colleagues,

WARNING!

I have just received an email, asking for my interpreting services for 10 days in December, 2006 to help the sender’s wife, still a Reverend, to do some shopping when they visit Greer, SC, of all the places! Of course, the wife is Spanish-speaking (EN>ES is still my pair, as stated on the ATA website), and still a Reverend. As usual, the email offers to pay in advance (to later cancel the assignment and request a partial refund; as usual, the advanced check will be bogus, but the refund check will be good, letting the interpreter out in the cold.) I am still told to remain blessed per the signature line.

The only new thing, other than a somewhat improved English, is that the email apparently comes from an administrator from an apparently legit Nigerian university and attaches a link to the website of said university. The purported sender of the email (at least, his last name) is listed on that website as an administrator. However, the administrator’s e-mail address, per the website, seems legit, [initials of the administrator]@[name of the U.].edu.ng, while the e-mail address from where I received the message is [name(actually nickname + partial last name)]@yahoo.com

I was temped to write the U., warning them about the scam, but I decided I wasn't sure even that the website was legit. Answering emails from criminals such as scammers is not an advisable thing to do.

I am sure that most of ATA’s members have received this type of emails in the past. Yet, if somebody is still unaware of these scams, I wanted them to know about them.

Please, be careful. Greetings from the international vacation spot of Greer, SC,

Luis
Collapse

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
In memoriam
thank you ... Dec 2, 2006

We cannot be too careful, so thanks for letting us know this latest twist.

I never "fall" for the scam, but I get such a kick out of reading the letters! I'm sure Greer is full of wonderful things, but a stop in New York or Washington first might be advised

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Warning colleagues: A new and improved "Nigerian scam"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »