Rates in Spain (vs. UK)?
Thread poster: Silvia Ferrero

Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 25, 2003

I have always worked with translation agencies in the UK, which is where I live at the moment, but now I would like to collaborate with some Spanish agencies as well. My problem is that I have no idea what rates are acceptable in Spain at the moment, although I understand that they will be lower than in the UK. I would be very grateful if anyone can tell me the average rates per 1000 words or per hour that translators/interpreters can charge in Spain.

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Ezequiel Fernandez
Local time: 06:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Rates in Spain - please don't work for peanuts ! Feb 25, 2003

Translation rates in Spain vary from Euro 0,06 to Euro 0,033 per word (sorry, this is how we work it out). Many agencies here in Spain are reluctant to pay more due to the large number of alleged translators willing to work for peanuts!!

Hope you find this helpful.
[addsig]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Try to obtain work elsewhere Feb 25, 2003

Which is what I hope - and need - to do; the situation is not a healthy one here for qualified and experienced translators. Price appears - time and again - to be more importnat than quality. A university I worked for recently asked me to drop my price by 16%, naturally I refused, since then they have been on the lookout for \'cheaper\' translators....

Maria Riegger  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rates in Spain quite low Feb 26, 2003

Unfortunately, larru and Ailish are right. Agencies and even some direct clients pay very low rates (normally about 0.04-0.05 Euro per word and sliding scales for CAT tools). If you have to deal with a UK cost of living, I would strongly advise trying to work with clients in other countries.

Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
There are other companies Feb 26, 2003

It is absolutely true that rates for our business in Spain are droping, although I still manage to charge around 0,11 per word. You just have to do a more extensive search, and think of \"unconventional\" markets that would need your services.

However, I have to agree: if you want it easier and better, look for work outside of Spain.

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Bajar tarifas 16%... Feb 26, 2003

Hola a todos,

Funny you say that. It might have to do with the fact that the IAE other tax issues are changing. The agency might think that you should pay THEM back for the money you will \'save\' with the new law

At any rate, some colleagues get paid >0.14 Euro per word:

\"Tengo dos clientes en España y ambos me pagan entre US$0.14 y US$0.16 por palabra para traducción del español al inglés (depende de la especiallización, el tipo de archivo, etc.)\"

Tarifas para Agencia en España - ProZ.com Spanish Fora - http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic_id=8800&forum_id=24

Cheers,

JL

Silvia Ferrero  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 28, 2003

Thank you everybody for your help. I think that you are probably right, working for Spanish agencies is not the best idea, considering the cost of living in the UK is quite high. I\'ll try to look for agencies in other countries. As for the people who get paid 0.11 per word or more, you are really lucky! Though I must say it is comforting that at least some people are getting paid a decent amount for their work, which is not as easy as many clients like to think.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates in Spain (vs. UK)?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search