https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/113477-dragon_ns_10_french_version_for_multi_lingual_use.html

Dragon NS 10 - French version for multi-lingual use
Thread poster: Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey
Caroline Lakey  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 12:27
French to English
Aug 25, 2008

Hi,

I'm considering buying version 10 of DNS becuase I'm already starting to get pains in my mouse-hand, and I'm only just starting out as a translator (quite scary really!). I've never used voice-recognition software, but based on what I've been able to discover on this site and further afield on the internet about DNS 10, it sounds great. (I've looked into Vista's voice recognition, but Microsoft say it only works in the language of the OS.)

However, I have a few
... See more
Hi,

I'm considering buying version 10 of DNS becuase I'm already starting to get pains in my mouse-hand, and I'm only just starting out as a translator (quite scary really!). I've never used voice-recognition software, but based on what I've been able to discover on this site and further afield on the internet about DNS 10, it sounds great. (I've looked into Vista's voice recognition, but Microsoft say it only works in the language of the OS.)

However, I have a few questions, and as various people have noted on the forums, Nuance's customer service seems to be, shall we say, not the best (their phone number goes straight to a saturated message box, for example!). I'm hoping that people may be able to tell me about their experiences on the following:

Dictating into English in the French version - does it produce high-quality UK English, or would I need the Englsih version for that?

Dictating in both English and French in the same document?

What happens to the commands when you're dictating in English, are they still in French or do they convert to English too?

I live in France but I'm not a French native speaker - try as I might, I do have a bit of an English accent. How can I be sure DNS will understand my French?

Put in simple, non-computer expert terms, what are the advantages of the preferred version over the standard? Is it worth the extra 100€?

I'm really sorry for all these long questions, but I kow that there's a wealth of knowledge on Proz, so if anyone can help with any part, I'd be really grateful!

Very many thanks,

Caroline
Collapse

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Me too :-) Aug 25, 2008

I've been wondering about all the same things - so I will watch this thread for answers.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:27
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'd like to know the answer, too! Aug 25, 2008

I'm in exactly the same boat as you. As translators, we are bound to do many (if not all) things in at least two languages. A spell-checker that only checks one language is only half useful, DNS that only understands one language (and one accent) is really not worth more than 50 percent of its cost.

Let's hope this thread is being read by someone with some answers, rather than with the same question.

Alain Dellepiane
Alain Dellepiane  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:27
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Different profiles Aug 26, 2008

Multilingual version of Dragon include english voice recognition as an option. You just need to create a new profile and set its language to English.

In practical terms, when you want to switch from French to English, you will just need to right-click the Dragon icon next to the clock and select (let's say) "Sheila français" instead of "Sheila English".

However, it will be seen by the system as a completely separate user and will not share data and terminology with the
... See more
Multilingual version of Dragon include english voice recognition as an option. You just need to create a new profile and set its language to English.

In practical terms, when you want to switch from French to English, you will just need to right-click the Dragon icon next to the clock and select (let's say) "Sheila français" instead of "Sheila English".

However, it will be seen by the system as a completely separate user and will not share data and terminology with the other. Actually, it will even have to be trained from scratch as if it was different person [and I guess most will agree that, in some way, it is ]

It will also take a bit of time, as it saves the previous profile data before opening the new one. I wouldn't really recommend to switch back and fro.

To sum up:

>does it produce high-quality UK English

I would say so. It come with British/US/Australian/SEAAsian tailored dictionary files, and I guess these languages are really their core business...

>Dictating in both English and French in the same document?

Possible if you switch profile, but not practical due to save/load time.

>What happens to the commands when you're dictating in English

I guess English profile=English commands, Franch profile=Franch commands. Personally, the only command I use are "Full caps" and "Intial capital" anyway.

>I live in France but I'm not a French native speaker

Some say I have a rather thick genoese accent (similar to Canadian, but with an Italian twist), Yes, sometimes it drops some words, but it's just when I'm really mumbling without refrain. And sometimes it surprises me writing down even that!

>Put in simple, non-computer expert terms, what are the advantages of the preferred version over the standard? Is it worth the extra 100€?

"NatSpeak is available in a number of versions. The Standard edition ($100) has the same accuracy as the others, but it’s just for bare-bones dictation.

To get the more advanced goodies described in this review — the natural-language commands, Bluetooth mikes and recorders — you need the Preferred edition ($200). It also lets you set up voice macros that type out boilerplate text. For example, you can say, “Buzz off,” and it will type: “Thanks for thinking of me! Unfortunately, I’m afraid I’m unable to accept your kind offer at this time.”

From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/technology/personaltech/07pogue.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

My 2cents? I have the Preferred version, but I never use said goodies. Maybe you can give a thorough look to the specs page at Nuance and see if you really need any of them.

Good work, Alain

[Edited at 2008-08-26 05:23]
Collapse

Alain Dellepiane
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Different profiles Aug 26, 2008

However, it will be seen by the system as a completely separate user and will not share data and terminology with the
... See more

However, it will be seen by the system as a completely separate user and will not share data and terminology with the other. Actually, it will even have to be trained from scratch as if it was different person [and I guess most will agree that, in some way, it is ]

It will also take a bit of time, as it saves the previous profile data before opening the new one. I wouldn't really recommend to switch back and fro.

To sum up:

>does it produce high-quality UK English

I would say so. It come with British/US/Australian/SEAAsian tailored dictionary files, and I guess these languages are really their core business...

>Dictating in both English and French in the same document?

Possible if you switch profile, but not practical due to save/load time.

>What happens to the commands when you're dictating in English

I guess English profile=English commands, Franch profile=Franch commands. Personally, the only command is use are "Full caps" and "Intial capital" anyway.

>I live in France but I'm not a French native speaker

Some say I have a rather thick genoese accent (similar to Canadian, but with an Italian twist), Yes, sometimes it drops some words, but it's just when I'm really mumbling withot refrain. And sometimes it surprises me writing down even that!

>Put in simple, non-computer expert terms, what are the advantages of the preferred version over the standard? Is it worth the extra 100€?

"NatSpeak is available in a number of versions. The Standard edition ($100) has the same accuracy as the others, but it’s just for bare-bones dictation.

To get the more advanced goodies described in this review — the natural-language commands, Bluetooth mikes and recorders — you need the Preferred edition ($200). It also lets you set up voice macros that type out boilerplate text. For example, you can say, “Buzz off,” and it will type: “Thanks for thinking of me! Unfortunately, I’m afraid I’m unable to accept your kind offer at this time.”

From http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/07/technology/personaltech/07pogue.html?pagewanted=2&_r=1

My 2cents? I have the Preferred version, but I never use said goodies. Maybe you can give a thorough look to the specs page at Nuance and see if you really need any of them.

Good work, Alain
Collapse

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Is it practical to use? Aug 26, 2008

Thank Alain, for your explanation of the different profiles which need to be set up to use DNS in different languages.

Is there anyone who uses DNS with differnet profiles on a regular basis, who could tell us whether it's easy and practical to do so?

I think I'll go for the preferred edition, because I'd like to be able to dictate notes into a recorder and let DNS put them into the pc.

Thanks again,

Caroline

Caroline Lakey
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
France : Special prices on DNS 10 - can I say where? Aug 27, 2008

I've just noticed that 2 well-known web vendors are selling the French preferred edition of DNS 10 for €159.99, and I'm sure some people will be interested.
Please could someone tell me whether the rules of the forum allow me to say which vendors are running these promotions?
Thanks

Alain Dellepiane
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery Oct 23, 2008

Funnily, our whole coversation has been copied verbatim on this website. The author didn't feel the need to mention the source, though...

http://e-i-consulting-translation.blogspot.com/2008/08/audio-transcription-technology.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon NS 10 - French version for multi-lingual use

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »