DNS 9 & The Mysteriously Jumping Cursor
Thread poster: Damian Harrison

Damian Harrison
Germany
Local time: 20:18
German to English
Aug 26, 2008

I have been using DNS 9.5 for a few months now and have found it very effective. But when I use DNS in combination with Wordfast I am plagued by a problem that causes the cursor to jump several lines or along the line I am working on. I have consulted the manual for both products and have made the following alterations to the settings:

- activated FirstKeyDNS in Pandora's box (apparently this should solve the problem)
- Natural Language Commands are enabled
- Mouse motion commands are disabled

I am working on a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P with Windows XP, Pentium 4 CPU with 3.06 GHz and 2 Ghz RAM. I use Office XP, DNS Preferred 9.5 and Wordfast 5.53. I use a desktop mic which sometimes picks up the clicking of the keys. DNS renders that as "up up up up up up" (very annoying).

I know that this issue has been discussed a few times over the lat few years but I have yet to find a satisfactory solution. Does anyone have a fix for this issue?

P.S. I am translating from an Excel file. So the computer is running Excel, Dragon, Word and Wordfast parallel.

[Edited at 2008-08-26 14:18]

Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:18
French to English
+ ...
Find command Aug 26, 2008

Hi Damian,

I must admit that FirstkeyDNS works for me, but before that particular command was available in Pandora's Box, I was told to run a simple Find on any letter - say w - and replace with the same letter. That normally solves the problem, at least in the document you're working on.

Good luck!

Claire

Damian Harrison
Germany
Local time: 20:18
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claire Aug 27, 2008

Thanks for the tip Claire. Doing a search did help at first, but once I reached page 15 (in WF) the problem returned ... So I guess until I discover another solution I'll just have to start new docs every few hours and stitch it up later. As long as I'm translating Excel files I won't even have to do that.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS 9 & The Mysteriously Jumping Cursor

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search