Using Dragon for Trados commands
Thread poster: Ihatetrados
Ihatetrados
Ihatetrados
Local time: 22:49
English to French
Mar 30, 2009

I have been trying to use Dragon for Trados commands only (Save/Close and the like) but no joy so far. My voice commands remain ineffective (and before you ask, yes, the mike is switched on)
I must be doing something wrong.
If one of you out there has been successful, thanks for any advice you may have.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:49
Spanish
+ ...
What edition of DNS do you have? Mar 30, 2009

Dragon Preferred doesn't support voice commands, only text commands. But you don't need to create a command to manage Trados with DNS. You can just say the keystrokes, like 'Press Alt Keypad Plus' to go to the next segment, 'Press Alt Keypad Asterisk' to go to the next fuzzy match, etc. I personally find it confusing if I'm working really fast, but since I prefer to use Trados with DNS, I keep a small banner on top of my Trados monitor with the text: 'Press Alt Keypad Plus' in big letters. Actua... See more
Dragon Preferred doesn't support voice commands, only text commands. But you don't need to create a command to manage Trados with DNS. You can just say the keystrokes, like 'Press Alt Keypad Plus' to go to the next segment, 'Press Alt Keypad Asterisk' to go to the next fuzzy match, etc. I personally find it confusing if I'm working really fast, but since I prefer to use Trados with DNS, I keep a small banner on top of my Trados monitor with the text: 'Press Alt Keypad Plus' in big letters. Actually since I translate into Spanish, it's 'Pulsar Alt Numérico Más'. It's simple but it works.

The mic can also be a problem, a good mic makes all the difference. Drop the one that came in the box, it's acceptable but no good by any means. Do your research until you find a mic that fits your needs and budget, you don't really need to spend hundreds on it, I bought an external soundcard and a VXI Parrot mic for less than $150, and I get an almost 100% accuracy.

About your username, I understand your frustration with Trados, but you won't be taken seriously if you're planning to find new clients here. Just a thought.

Good luck,

Claudia
Collapse

Ihatetrados
Ihatetrados
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Claudia Mar 30, 2009

I have DNS Pro. I haven't used it much so far as I type fast (and like to have loud music in the background). AFAIK, DNS Pro supports voice commands in other applications.
I use Trados as little as I can, but the market rules … I have had to use it a lot lately (several hundreds of Kwords since October) and have developed a very painful tendinitis in the right shoulder, definitely attributable to repetitive movements. Which is why I need a way to change segments without having to press k
... See more
I have DNS Pro. I haven't used it much so far as I type fast (and like to have loud music in the background). AFAIK, DNS Pro supports voice commands in other applications.
I use Trados as little as I can, but the market rules … I have had to use it a lot lately (several hundreds of Kwords since October) and have developed a very painful tendinitis in the right shoulder, definitely attributable to repetitive movements. Which is why I need a way to change segments without having to press keys. I'll try your technique tomorrow.
I'm using a quality mike (not the one that came in the box), but selecting a mike is no easy task as you can't test them before buying.
And about my username, I've been here a few years, but not to find new clients.

[Edited at 2009-03-31 07:22 GMT]
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:49
Spanish
+ ...
It should work Mar 31, 2009

That's odd, since you have DNS Pro, you should be able to add commands without having to tell the DNS what to press. That's one of the points of having the Pro version. Probably something is not set up right but I don't know what it might be, sorry. You can try asking your question at the Knowbrainer Forum, they have a very active area about DNS.

Good luck, I hop
... See more
That's odd, since you have DNS Pro, you should be able to add commands without having to tell the DNS what to press. That's one of the points of having the Pro version. Probably something is not set up right but I don't know what it might be, sorry. You can try asking your question at the Knowbrainer Forum, they have a very active area about DNS.

Good luck, I hope you can fix the problem because I also used to have back, neck and arm pain and Dragon really did help.

Claudia
Collapse

Ihatetrados
Ihatetrados
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Muchas Gracias Claudia, works now Apr 1, 2009

I'll check KnowBrainer. In the meantime I have found here a couple threads dealing with the same problem, and confirming that DNS Pro does the job. Haven't had time to experiment yet, but sounds promising.

Edited
My mistake was to try and create commands for Trados. Commands must be created for the application you are using Trados with (Word in my case). I have now commands for almost everything and can keep both my hands on the alphanum keyboard.
Meaning I can't use my
... See more
I'll check KnowBrainer. In the meantime I have found here a couple threads dealing with the same problem, and confirming that DNS Pro does the job. Haven't had time to experiment yet, but sounds promising.

Edited
My mistake was to try and create commands for Trados. Commands must be created for the application you are using Trados with (Word in my case). I have now commands for almost everything and can keep both my hands on the alphanum keyboard.
Meaning I can't use my speakers for music anymore, and the earphones in my Plantronics headset are not up to my expectations but you can't win them all I suppose.

[Edited at 2009-04-01 12:50 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using Dragon for Trados commands

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »