How to avoid...
Thread poster: Fernando Toledo

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
German to Spanish
Jul 13, 2009

That DNS write: "al -1" wenn I say "al menos una"?

Thanks


 
Try training Jul 15, 2009

Open Dragon menu bar Words, Train, and try training the entire phrase "al menos una'. Then repeat the phrase in a document . If it gets it wrong, use the Correct key (default key: numberpad minus sign) to see if it brings up the right version. Repeat this process until the software gets it right.

 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
I'll tried Jul 15, 2009

Tobias wrote:

Open Dragon menu bar Words, Train, and try training the entire phrase "al menos una'. Then repeat the phrase in a document . If it gets it wrong, use the Correct key (default key: numberpad minus sign) to see if it brings up the right version. Repeat this process until the software gets it right.


But no way.

Also I don't know where this correction key should be in my Keyboard, cause I am using a MacBook Pro with XP installed.
It is very strange. If I say "al menos" DNS write "al menos" (as it should be) but in the moment as I say "una" he change the sentence and write "al -1" ;-(

I'll try to change this predeterminated key (-) to see what happen...

Thanks


 

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:43
Swedish to English
+ ...
Two suggestions Jul 15, 2009

1.
Try leaving a short pause after 'al menos'. Dragon should then realise that 'una' is a separate word, nothing to do with 'menos'.
For example, I have found that if I say 'Twenty percent' it comes out as 20%, but if I say "Twenty" (slight pause) percent" it comes out as 20 percent. That is sometimes a useful distinction.
2.
If you use this expression often, it may be worth setting up a new and different word. You might create a word 'bubu''and train it to write "al menos una"


 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Yes, yes Jul 15, 2009

Peter Linton wrote:

1.
Try leaving a short pause after 'al menos'.


Yes, I do it, more than a natural pause, time enough to DNS to write "al menos" but DNS "correct it" wenn I say "una"

It is more than strange cause "menos una" can never be -1, this is "menos uno" and "una" is not a number!!!

the 2 suggestion is not applicable, cause it is not a "special sentence" is just a normal way to speak and is used very often, i can not think in a translation and speak bubu, or any other blablas, each time that DNS goes banana.



Regards



[Edited at 2009-07-15 15:42 GMT]


 

Richard Walker
Local time: 10:43
Japanese to English
Solutions (maybe) Jul 16, 2009

If you're happy with the pause approach suggested by Peter, go to Tools>Formatting and clear the "Allow pauses in formatted phrases" check box. (If you're using a version earlier than 10, the same check box is buried somewhere in the Tools>Options tabs.) "Al menos una", with appropriate midstream pauses, should now give you what you want.

If you'd rather not have to make an unnatural pause, you can try going to Words>View/Edit. The first step is to look for "al menos una" in the vocabularly list. If it is there as a phrase, click the Properties button and see if "al -1" is at the bottom as an "alternate form." If it is, delete "al -1" and clear the checkbox.

If that isn't the problem, try adding "al menos una" as a phrase AND under "Properties" give it the alternate form of "al menos una" (yeah, it's redundant, but it sometimes works).

If that doesn't work, try adding "al -1" as a phrase with an alternate form of "al menos una".

If that doesn't work, then it's probably a hardwired "feature," and the unnatural pause is your best bet. There may be a way to fix it by turning off one of the categories of automatically formatted text in Tools>Formatting, but this is likely to have an adverse affect on other phrases.


 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 17, 2009

Richard Walker wrote:

.

If you'd rather not have to make an unnatural pause, you can try going to Words>View/Edit. The first step is to look for "al menos una" in the vocabularly list. If it is there as a phrase, click the Properties button and see if "al -1" is at the bottom as an "alternate form." If it is, delete "al -1" and clear the checkbox.

If that isn't the problem, try adding "al menos una" as a phrase AND under "Properties" give it the alternate form of "al menos una" (yeah, it's redundant, but it sometimes works).

If that doesn't work, try adding "al -1" as a phrase with an alternate form of "al menos una".

If that doesn't work, then it's probably a hardwired "feature," and the unnatural pause is your best bet. There may be a way to fix it by turning off one of the categories of automatically formatted text in Tools>Formatting, but this is likely to have an adverse affect on other phrases.


I will follow your advice, I have no time now, but soon.

Regards


 
Possible workaround Jul 19, 2009

Try saying "al menos spacebar una".

I don't know the Spanish version word for "spacebar", but that is what you might try.

In the English language version, this trick works if you want to say B) and not A) (i.e. "give me one hundred spacebar dollars")

A) Give me $100. ( "Give me one hundred dollars")
B) Give me 100 dollars. ( "Give me one hundred spacebar dollars")


 

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:43
German to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Well Jul 19, 2009

Tobias wrote:

Try saying "al menos spacebar una".

I don't know the Spanish version word for "spacebar", but that is what you might try.

In the English language version, this trick works if you want to say B) and not A) (i.e. "give me one hundred spacebar dollars")

A) Give me $100. ( "Give me one hundred dollars")
B) Give me 100 dollars. ( "Give me one hundred spacebar dollars")


It may work telling "espacio" each time (I will try), but this is not alternative.

"Al menos una" es a often used sentence, I can not be alert each time I say it, DNS should be a help not a handicap.

And, as I said "menos una" can never be -1, this is "menos uno"



Thanks

Fernando


 

Richard Walker
Local time: 10:43
Japanese to English
Spacebar to override formatting Jul 21, 2009

I guess "100 spacebar dollars" would work as a last-ditch hack or a one-time override, but you can achieve more consistent results in the formatting of common patterns by going into Tools>Formatting and playing with the checkboxes. (Nothing worse than having a client ask, "Why is it '$100' here, but '100 dollars' over here?")

 

Richard Walker
Local time: 10:43
Japanese to English
Menos una vs. menos uno Jul 21, 2009

It could be a problem with either your pronunciation (no clear distinction between "a" and "o", or at least, not the distinction DNS wants) or your microphone (clipping the ends of phrases). Try going into the Audio Setup Wizard and running the soundcheck. When you complete the quality check you'll be able to play back the sample and may be able to hear what's going on.

 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to avoid...

Advanced search






Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search