Best compatibility between speech recognition tool and translation assistance tool?
Thread poster: AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:51
German to French
+ ...
Aug 25, 2009

Hi,
I am 'studying' the possibility of combining a speech recognition tool with a translation assistance software...
Anybody out there with some (preferably) good experience to share? Thanks!
Anne-Marie

Katrin Lueke
Katrin Lueke  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
DNS and SDLX Aug 25, 2009

Hi,
I work with Dragon Naturally Speaking (9.5) in combination with SDLX and am happy with it (apart from some problems I am having with DNS and which are not related to CAT tools).
Best regards,
Katrin

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DNS and Trados Aug 25, 2009

I have recently purchased DNS 10.0 Preferred and it is so far working nicely with Trados 8.0 (I use TagEditor most of the time).

I'd say it has sped up my translation by 25% all in all (I am a relatively fast typer). And I can also say that my hands and arms are more relaxed at the end of the day now. As I work with tagged documents almost all the time, I have to use the keyboard to move around and overwrite things. Even if speaking parts of sentences (and not full sentences) when w
... See more
I have recently purchased DNS 10.0 Preferred and it is so far working nicely with Trados 8.0 (I use TagEditor most of the time).

I'd say it has sped up my translation by 25% all in all (I am a relatively fast typer). And I can also say that my hands and arms are more relaxed at the end of the day now. As I work with tagged documents almost all the time, I have to use the keyboard to move around and overwrite things. Even if speaking parts of sentences (and not full sentences) when working around tags, the program understands me quite well and works fast.

I must however recommend that the text is carefully reviewed after translation, as DNS sometimes writes funny things!
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 22:51
Spanish
+ ...
DNS 10 is well worth the money Aug 25, 2009

With SDLX, it has some problems correcting words. It seems that when a text is selected until the end of a paragraph, the beginning of the next paragraph is also selected. So I just don't correct words in SDLX. Other than that, it works fine.

DNS also works great with Word, Metatexis and Trados Workbench; I assume it would work just as good with Wordfast and other Word-based CAT tools. I was surprised, but I found that it works the best with Studio. There is practically no delay, at
... See more
With SDLX, it has some problems correcting words. It seems that when a text is selected until the end of a paragraph, the beginning of the next paragraph is also selected. So I just don't correct words in SDLX. Other than that, it works fine.

DNS also works great with Word, Metatexis and Trados Workbench; I assume it would work just as good with Wordfast and other Word-based CAT tools. I was surprised, but I found that it works the best with Studio. There is practically no delay, at least compared to Word.

You do need to invest in a good mic. With the cheap one that comes in the box, you'd be wasting time correcting all the mistakes.

Good luck,

Claudia

[Edited at 2009-08-25 14:44 GMT]
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Logitech doing the job fine Aug 25, 2009

Claudia Alvis wrote:
You do need to invest in a good mic. With the cheap one that comes in the box, you'd be wasting time correcting all the mistakes.

Indeed. And it is incredibly unconfortable!! I bought a Logitech headset which is cheap but is comfortable and yields good results.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:51
Italian to English
Wordfast Aug 25, 2009

I use DNS Standard 9.0 with Wordfast and am very pleased with the increased speed, the way it learns from my voice and how I can relax more while working.
The main problem I have is that the cursor sometimes jumps to the beginning of the document when starting a new segment. I have been shown how to correct this in Pandora's Box settings but have not yet been able to replicate it on my older and more basic version.
Like Tomás, I use a Logitech headset.

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
DNS 10 and Trados Aug 25, 2009

I use DNS 10 Preferred and Trados. The combination works extremely well in Trados Workbench. But it does not work so well for me in Trados TagEditor. Sometimes, when I switch to another program while using TagEditor, when I return DNS does not respond and I have to close and reload TagEditor. However, other people do not seem to have this problem, suggesting that it is a problem specific to my PC's configuration and software.

In defence of the microphone supplied with DNS: I always
... See more
I use DNS 10 Preferred and Trados. The combination works extremely well in Trados Workbench. But it does not work so well for me in Trados TagEditor. Sometimes, when I switch to another program while using TagEditor, when I return DNS does not respond and I have to close and reload TagEditor. However, other people do not seem to have this problem, suggesting that it is a problem specific to my PC's configuration and software.

In defence of the microphone supplied with DNS: I always achieved very good results with the standard issue microphone. Enunciation is the secret of success with DNS. I have since bought a better quality microphone and it does indeed work better (as in this message). In percentage terms, I would say that the standard issue microphone gave 95% accuracy, and my more expensive one gives 97-98%. And it is a good idea to have two microphones in case one fails.
Collapse

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another approach Aug 25, 2009

Peter Linton wrote:
Sometimes, when I switch to another program while using TagEditor, when I return DNS does not respond and I have to close and reload TagEditor. However, other people do not seem to have this problem, suggesting that it is a problem specific to my PC's configuration and software.

Happens to me too, so it's clearly not your configuration. Must be some flaw. I solve it by saying all sorts of insults to DNS until it goes back to normal, to much amusement of my colleagues in the office...

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
DNS 10 and SDLX / MemoQ plus wireless mic Aug 25, 2009

For a while now, I have been working with DNS 10 and SDLX, Anne-Marie. The upgrade from DNS v. 9.X was worth every penny. Just don't download SP 1 if you want to use it in SDLX; it will wreak havoc.

I also bought a Plantronics wireless headset. It works beautifully, gives me an extremely high recognition and lets me roam around the room while I dictate.

Still, I'm not 100 percent satisfied with the performance of DNS and SDLX. Since I also have a MemoQ licence, I checke
... See more
For a while now, I have been working with DNS 10 and SDLX, Anne-Marie. The upgrade from DNS v. 9.X was worth every penny. Just don't download SP 1 if you want to use it in SDLX; it will wreak havoc.

I also bought a Plantronics wireless headset. It works beautifully, gives me an extremely high recognition and lets me roam around the room while I dictate.

Still, I'm not 100 percent satisfied with the performance of DNS and SDLX. Since I also have a MemoQ licence, I checked with the folks from MemoQ. They assured me that MemoQ was built with DNS in mind, and that the two were 100 percent compatible. I haven't found a glitch yet, although I must admit I used the combination only three or four times.

As MemoQ appears to be a very interesting product in many aspects, I'm going to use it more often, maybe even make it my preferred CAT Tool. (MemoQ will also import/export Trados files--ttx, TMs and Terminology databases--and create Trados-style bilingual files. So who needs the big T?)

Good luck!

Volkmar
Collapse

Berni Armstrong
Berni Armstrong  Identity Verified
Spain
English
+ ...
DNS 10 + Metatexis Aug 26, 2009

I'm a die hard Metatexis fan and after problems with earlier versions of DNS - I find no problems with this latest combination and my productivity has shot up. I am NOT a touch typist and, to make matters worse, recently seem to have developed keyboard dyslexia in my old age. I now find it almost impossible to write "-ing" words in English without typing "-ign" - for example. Anyone... See more
I'm a die hard Metatexis fan and after problems with earlier versions of DNS - I find no problems with this latest combination and my productivity has shot up. I am NOT a touch typist and, to make matters worse, recently seem to have developed keyboard dyslexia in my old age. I now find it almost impossible to write "-ing" words in English without typing "-ign" - for example. Anyone else noticed this degenerative phenomenon?Collapse

juvera
juvera  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Yes, Berni Aug 27, 2009

Berni Armstrong wrote:
...recently seem to have developed keyboard dyslexia in my old age. I now find it almost impossible to write "-ing" words in English without typing "-ign" - for example. Anyone else noticed this degenerative phenomenon?

I am in hte same boat.
"ign", nad "hte". Especially "nad"!

AnneMarieG
AnneMarieG  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Dip (ups!) deep dive Aug 28, 2009

Hi,
thank you very much for your assistance; I fear I have no excuse now but to deep dive into technical requirements, versions, SDLs and other Xs...
Thanks very much especially for the 'hands on' comments re mics e.g.

Have a great weekend - hope you'll read this message on Monday morning only!!

Anne-Marie

Juliette Scott
Juliette Scott  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Plantronics microphone Oct 23, 2009

I just came across your discussion with great interest. Volkmar, which wireless microphone are you using? When I try Amazon I get lots of different wireless models - bluetooth, USB etc etc.

LegalTrans D
LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Sorry for being so long... Oct 25, 2009

in replying, Juliette. I use a CS50/CS60. It was recommended to me by another DNS user, and I've been happy with it ever since.

http://plantronics.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/plantronics.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=7976&p_created=1105054058

mike4565
mike4565
English to German
DNS and Studio 2014 Feb 4, 2014

Hello everybody,

Has anyone of you tried DNS (12 or lower) with Studio 2014? Unfortunately DNS does not work very well with 2009 or 2011. There is no automatic formatting as it is the case in MemoQ or Déjà Vu. Furthermore DNS is really slow in Studio 2011 and the recognition rate is much lower than in Word for instance.

Kind regards,
Michael

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best compatibility between speech recognition tool and translation assistance tool?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »