Which version of DNS 10 to buy?
Thread poster: Domenica Nieddu

Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
Aug 27, 2009

Hello,

Excuse my ignorance, but I am pretty new at speech recognition for translators. Would you suggest a version of DNS 10 to buy (among Standard, Preferred, and Professional)? I see that the Standard version is only $49, but will it allow me to work with CAT tools? Does it work only with Word? Also, will the Standard version work with the Italian language? Thank you. Domenica

Direct link Reply with quote

Nicolas Coyer  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 13:58
Spanish to French
+ ...
Works with CAT and Word Aug 27, 2009

Ciao Domenica,

I use DNS v8.1 Standard with Word, TagEditor, SDLX and other sw, and it works pretty well.
You need to account for a learning window for the software, where you teach it how you pronounce such and such words, or words that it does not have in its dictionary.

Good luck!
Nicolas

[Modifié le 2009-08-27 20:00 GMT]

Richard Walker
Local time: 03:58
Japanese to English
Depends on functionality Aug 27, 2009

It depends on what you mean by "work." The core speech recognition engine is the same regardless of the version. The extra money buys you more functionality. If you're using DNS to translate, I would at the very least make sure to choose a version that allows you to edit the dictionary, because you'll definitely want to add, subtract and modify a few words. You'll probably also find it convenient to be able to create voice commands; even if they are only keystroke sequences, they can save you enormous amounts of time. Also consider what kind of microphone you're likely to use. If you want Bluetooth or voice recorder compatibility, you'll have to spend more.

In Europe, some of the more expensive versions bundle two or more languages together, usually a main language with English tossed in as a freebie, though rumor has it the Dutch version contains 4 different languages. If you want Italian and English, for example, you'll need to buy one of these packages upfront. DNS won't let you buy an Italian version now and then add on an English version in a few months (major design flaw, in my opinion). They have to come in the same box.

The main attraction to the Professioal version is that it is comes with advanced programming abilities. If the logic in your custom commands goes much beyond "press alt +", you'll want this, and if you're a clever programmer it will pay for itself very quickly. On the other hand, if you have no intention of ever writing any code, there's no other compelling reason to buy it.

Domenica Nieddu  Identity Verified
United States
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Aug 28, 2009

Thank you very much for all your clear explanations and suggestions.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:58
English to French
+ ...
Preferred Aug 28, 2009

The standard version may be too simplistic, depending on how and what for you would use it. You can dictate to it, but some features present in the preferred version are missing (Richard gives a good rundown of these above). The professional version is really neat, but it doesn't really add any functions of particular use for translators.

I believe most translators opt for the preferred version. There is a lot of discussion of the subject on this forum. I suggest you do a forum search and read a few threads carefully to see what version others are using and why.

All the best!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which version of DNS 10 to buy?

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search