alternatives to Dragon for Windows 7 64-bit laptop running Word 2007??
Thread poster: Patricia Rosas

Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2009

Friends,

I've got a huge problem on my hands. My new laptop running Vista crashed on Friday, and I have to send it in for repairs (15-21 days). I have a huge workload on my desk, so I turned to my old XP desktop, but it is experiencing all kinds of problems.

So, I went to the store to buy an identical laptop but discovered that all the Vista machines had been "removed" and I could only buy a Windows 7 OS laptop.

Now, I just found out that Nuance doesn't offer a version of DNS that is compatible with 7. I've written to Cepstral to find out if their voices are 64-bit compatible. And I'm trying to download a WordMagic plug-in on a trail basis to see if it works (but for some reason, the download is working).

I need to be able to dictate my translations in the coming weeks. I'd also like to be able to have them read aloud to me. Does anyone use alternatives that would be compatible with a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 and Word 2007?

I'll be very grateful for any suggestions!

Best,
Patricia

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
French to English
Which version of Win 7? Oct 25, 2009

Interesting - I was thinking of jumping from XP to Win 7 fairly soon, this is the kind of problem I was wondering about. Indeed, I was thinking of starting a general Win 7 thread about such issues...

Apparently, with the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7, you can run XP in a virtual environment, precisely for such eventualities. I've only read about it as a feature of Win 7, no idea if it actually works, or how.

Failing that, I have also wondered about the possibility of downloading a 16-bit emulator, on the assumption that such applications will be backwards compatible for older operating systems (I've actually got a 16-bit application I use from time to time, which runs OK under XP). Again, I'm only really aware of this as a theoretical possibility, how it works in practice, I have no idea.

As an occasional Dragon user, I would actually be interested in how this issue is resolved....(presumably Dragon will be producing a Win 7 compatible version asap?)

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows 7 Home Premium Oct 25, 2009

Charlie Bavington wrote:

Interesting - I was thinking of jumping from XP to Win 7 fairly soon, this is the kind of problem I was wondering about. Indeed, I was thinking of starting a general Win 7 thread about such issues...

Apparently, with the Professional and Ultimate versions of Windows 7, you can run XP in a virtual environment, precisely for such eventualities. I've only read about it as a feature of Win 7, no idea if it actually works, or how.

Failing that, I have also wondered about the possibility of downloading a 16-bit emulator, on the assumption that such applications will be backwards compatible for older operating systems (I've actually got a 16-bit application I use from time to time, which runs OK under XP). Again, I'm only really aware of this as a theoretical possibility, how it works in practice, I have no idea.

As an occasional Dragon user, I would actually be interested in how this issue is resolved....(presumably Dragon will be producing a Win 7 compatible version asap?)

Charlie,

Thank you so much for your helpful ideas. I think a Win 7 thread is needed! I'm going to try to write customer service at Nuance (their track record with me hasn't been good), but if I get any news about DNS, I'll post it here.

Could you pls. elaborate on how to download a 16-bit emulator? And once you have it, how do you run it?

I'm going to research the XP possibility, but could I upgrade the operating system? I'm not sure if that's possible ...

Thanks again!
Patricia

Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
French to English
It's all theoretical ! Oct 25, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:
Could you pls. elaborate on how to download a 16-bit emulator? And once you have it, how do you run it?

Truly, if I could, I would. All I know is that they exist, and that the idea is that you can use them to run 16-bit applications on 64-bit systems. How.... ? Sorry, I've never tried it. I think that they may only work with some chips, as well, not all. I really only chucked the idea out there as something you could look into, perhaps.

I'm going to research the XP possibility, but could I upgrade the operating system? I'm not sure if that's possible ...

What, upgrade from a basic Win 7 to a Professional/Ultimate version? No idea - I guess your store would know. Since you can hardly have owned the machine for more than, what, 48 hours tops, I would hope they would be receptive to such a request !

From what I've read, this virtual XP feature on the top level Windows 7 systems is pretty much designed to make sure that older applications can be run, albeit perhaps sub-optimally. Since it is how Microsoft want us to deal with such issues, I suppose it does have the benefit of, presumably, being reasonably supported, not only by Microsoft themselves but technical forums etc. will eventually be packed with useful advice (he says, optimistically!)

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
virtual mode Oct 25, 2009

Well, it turns out that there is a "virtual" windows that will let older XP applications run and it sounds very easy to use. However, the machine has to have Windows Professional. So, I'm going to see if I can upgrade (looks like I can) and I'll post more info in a bit. Here's the link explaining it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/get-started.aspx

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:50
German to Spanish
Yes Oct 25, 2009

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Well, it turns out that there is a "virtual" windows that will let older XP applications run and it sounds very easy to use. However, the machine has to have Windows Professional. So, I'm going to see if I can upgrade (looks like I can) and I'll post more info in a bit. Here's the link explaining it:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/get-started.aspx

I hear about, You can install XP as VM into W7.

I run Dragon in my Mac with XP as VM and no problem at all.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
good news! Oct 25, 2009

Fernando Toledo wrote:

I hear about, You can install XP as VM into W7.

I run Dragon in my Mac with XP as VM and no problem at all.

That is good news!! Thank you for speaking up. I am waiting for a friend who knows more about computers to figure out if my video card has the DirectX requirement (at first, I thought it didn't, but now I think it does and just need him to confirm it for me).

Thanks again,
Patricia

Grace Horsley  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:50
Member (2008)
Spanish to English
DNS version 10.1 Oct 26, 2009

I was doing a bit of research into this yesterday because I'm also thinking of updating to Windows 7 and I currently use DNS 10 Preferred. I found out that Nuance have brought out an new version that works with Windows 7 and on 64-bit systems, which you can download from their website as long as you have a valid serial number.

Obviously I have yet to try it myself, but it sounds as if this latest version of Dragon is probably the answer for Windows 7 64-bit users.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I can't install DNS10 ... Oct 26, 2009

Grace Horsley wrote:

I was doing a bit of research into this yesterday because I'm also thinking of updating to Windows 7 and I currently use DNS 10 Preferred. I found out that Nuance have brought out an new version that works with Windows 7 and on 64-bit systems, which you can download from their website as long as you have a valid serial number.

Obviously I have yet to try it myself, but it sounds as if this latest version of Dragon is probably the answer for Windows 7 64-bit users.

That would be lovely, but the problem is that the laptop won't let me install my copy of DNS 10 because it isn't supported by a 64-bit OS. So, if I download the new version, I don't think it will run. But I'm going to try and will pop back here to let people know what happened. I'm also opening another thread because I've found another, even more serious issues with Win 7.

United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DNS works!! Oct 26, 2009

Thanks to Grace for telling me about the DNS download. It took many hours to download and a while to install (and I had to retrain it), but now it is working perfectly. I was just about to buy an upgrade to run a virtual XP but at least for my needs, I think I'm good to go.

For the record, Word Magic can be installed as a plug-in and the Cepstral people are working on compatible software for Win 7.

Still no idea what to do about the corrupted files, which I started a thread on under "Windows Operating Systems" but I'll figure out something.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this post.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

alternatives to Dragon for Windows 7 64-bit laptop running Word 2007??

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search