Thread poster: Alan Corbo, CT

Alan Corbo, CT  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 03:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 18, 2010

Hi,

Just wanted to ask a couple of questions about Dragon Naturally Speaking 9.5 (DNS), as I'm new in the field of speech recognition.

Sometimes (not always), when using Trados (I use SDLX 2007) together with DNS, I have to manually start sentences with upper case, since Word won't do it automatically (you know that when you start a new sentence in Word, the program automatically starts it with upper case, even if you didn't press the Shift key). I've noticed that only happens sometimes, and only when I use DNS software (ie, sometimes it works allright with DNS, sometimes not). Is there something I have to do so that I don't have to manually change lower case for upper case when using DNS? It's quite a pain to have to go back to the beginning of the sentence to do that.

And another thing: is there any way to add commands to DNS so that if performs Trados functions (ie, open, get, close, etc.) using speech recognition?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alan

Direct link Reply with quote

LegalTrans D  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Start your sentence with "caps" Jan 18, 2010

This problem has been discussed many times, Alan, and it seems that there isn't really a good work-around. The thing I (and apparently many others) do is that I start a new SDLX segment with the command "caps", if it needs to be capitalized. After a while, this has become so much of a habit that I do it automatically without even thinking of it.

Certain SDLX functions will work with DNS (e.g. "go to next segment"); many of them won't. I would strongly encourage you to upgrade to v. 10, though, as it is a quantum leap both in recognition accuracy and in the number of functions DNS will be able to perform within SDLX.

What I also noticed is that other, completely unrelated software may impact the workings of DNS. I bought a Skype phone recently and installed the software supplied with it. The result was that DNS now does funny things whenever I want to correct a word by voice command within SDLX, or DNS will skip a component of a compound word if that component is not in the database (and we use loads of compound words in German). Quite annoying, but now I know what to look for.

Volkmar

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:37
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Dictation box Jan 18, 2010

I agree with Volkmar -- this is one of the annoyances that easily arise when you combine different software packages.

One solution, which may however be more work, is to use the Dragon Tools Dictation Box. Whenever you start dictating at the top left of the box, or when dictating a new sentence, the Dictation Box automatically capitalises the first word. Then click Transfer to transfer your text into your work.

This sentence is being typed in the box and transferred to this answer with a capital T. I have not typed T or said "Cap".

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Initial upper case in DNS 9.5 with SDL2007

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search