Paul Cohen
Paul Cohen  Identity Verified
Greenland
Local time: 02:03
German to English
+ ...
Jun 20, 2010

I have a bunch of questions concerning Dragon Naturally Speaking:

Are there any major differences between DNS Standard and DNS Preferred? Are there features of DNS Preferred that you feel justify the extra price? Does anyone have experience using DNS Standard version 10 (or DNS Preferred v. 10, for that matter) with a CAT tool?

Thanks,

Paul

Edite
... See more
I have a bunch of questions concerning Dragon Naturally Speaking:

Are there any major differences between DNS Standard and DNS Preferred? Are there features of DNS Preferred that you feel justify the extra price? Does anyone have experience using DNS Standard version 10 (or DNS Preferred v. 10, for that matter) with a CAT tool?

Thanks,

Paul

Edited to add this link from Nuance: http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/product-matrix.asp

[Edited at 2010-06-20 19:13 GMT]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:03
Italian to English
+ ...
DNS Preferred + WF Jun 21, 2010

I use DNS Preferred v. 10 with Wordfast, it works pretty well. I can't think of any CAT-related niggles I have with it.

No experience of DNS Standard, I'm afraid, but I bought Preferred from Amazon for about £150 (IIRC), including a Plantronics Calypso Bluetooth microphone, which seemed like a pretty good deal.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:03
French to English
+ ...
DNS Standard + Wordfast Classic Jun 21, 2010

I use DNS Standard (Version 9) with Wordfast Classic and it works fine. I tend not to dictate the commands for Wordfast (Alt down etc) as I find Dragon responds better to longer phrases and it proved simpler to just use the keyboard for commands at the end of each segment than repeat them several times by mouth! As I understand it, Preferred is supposed to be better for different file formats, but as WF Classic uses Word anyway, it's not an issue. I've found it works in e-mails and web pages in ... See more
I use DNS Standard (Version 9) with Wordfast Classic and it works fine. I tend not to dictate the commands for Wordfast (Alt down etc) as I find Dragon responds better to longer phrases and it proved simpler to just use the keyboard for commands at the end of each segment than repeat them several times by mouth! As I understand it, Preferred is supposed to be better for different file formats, but as WF Classic uses Word anyway, it's not an issue. I've found it works in e-mails and web pages in any event, so I certainly haven't felt constrained by "only" having Standard. It's certainly been one of the best £50-worth I've ever spent! I did upgrade the microphone, like Marie-Hélène, but apart from that it was a question of doing the 20-minute training, then off you go.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Standard vs. Preferred

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »