Thread poster: Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:03
Member (2009)
German to English
Jan 27, 2011

I am looking into getting DNS 11 and would like opinions on whether it is worth spending the extra money to get the professional version.

Also does any one know what extras the Premium Mobile/Premium Wireless editions bring? Are these two separate products? They are both listed separately on Amazon.

Thanks

Louisa

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Depends what you want Jan 27, 2011

Hi Louisa,

I suppose it depends what you want it for. I've just got the standard version of DNS 11 and find it perfectly adequate. I use it with a separate Logitech headset but other than that it does everything I want it to. I use it with Wordfast and can dictate into browser windows or e-mails as well as Word, etc. I was able to upgrade from my old DNS9 without any problems, retaining all my user files. I'm not sure what the supposed benefits of Preferred or Professional are, alth
... See more
Hi Louisa,

I suppose it depends what you want it for. I've just got the standard version of DNS 11 and find it perfectly adequate. I use it with a separate Logitech headset but other than that it does everything I want it to. I use it with Wordfast and can dictate into browser windows or e-mails as well as Word, etc. I was able to upgrade from my old DNS9 without any problems, retaining all my user files. I'm not sure what the supposed benefits of Preferred or Professional are, although I did look when I upgraded - I just know I decided that the basic version was enough for me.

Hope this helps a little. Perhaps others will be able to sing the praises of the more upmarket versions?

Claire
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I also have version 11 of the home edition... Jan 28, 2011

...and I find it perfect for my needs. It gives me a very high degree of accuracy in a wide variety of subject areas, though I don't do highly technical stuff.

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
Windows Jan 28, 2011

Have you tried the Speech Recognotion facility in Windows (hidden under Ease of Access on the Control Panel - on Windows 7 at least)

When I upgraded to 64 bit my old DNS wasn't compatible so I tried this and haven't felt the need to reinvest.

It might save you some expense (and all the annoying sales pitches from Nuance).

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 21:03
English
+ ...
Standard vs Premium Jan 30, 2011

With version 11, Nuance renamed the "Preferred" edition "Premium". The following comparison applies to version 9, but the comparison carries through to version 11.

Here are some differences:

Dragon Standard vs Dragon Preferred:
Dragon standard does not have the ability to manage the user files. This is critical if you wish to backup or export your user file. ( you cant import/export your user with standard). If you have been training/using Dragon for three mont
... See more
With version 11, Nuance renamed the "Preferred" edition "Premium". The following comparison applies to version 9, but the comparison carries through to version 11.

Here are some differences:

Dragon Standard vs Dragon Preferred:
Dragon standard does not have the ability to manage the user files. This is critical if you wish to backup or export your user file. ( you cant import/export your user with standard). If you have been training/using Dragon for three months do you really want to start from scratch again if there is a problem with your computer or user file? For this reason alone I believe Dragon preferred is a better value package than standard.
Dragon Standard does not have support for Microsoft Excel as preferred does.
Dragon Standard does not have support for digital recorders or PDA's,preferred does.
Dragon preferred has a text-to-speech engine so you can have your documents read back to you for the purposes of proofreading. Standard does not have this.
Dragon preferred also has the ability to create basic text macros which can insert a signature, logo or boilerplate text with a simple voice command. Standard does not have this ability.
Essentially if you just want to dictate for perhaps one hour a day into Microsoft Word or Internet Explorer, using a basic non technical vocabulary,then standard will suffice. However, if you expect to be using Dragon in the long-term for more than one hour a day and wish to perform more advanced tasks then Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred is a much better entry-level option. Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred version 9 with USB NC7100 is our most popular product by far for this reason.

The Premium edition features which I consider essential to my work, is the ability to create text macros.

S1, S2 wnl, no murmurs, no extra sounds

The above phrase is used repeatedly in my work but is not standard English and is not easily recognized by Dragon. Using the Premium edition I can create phrases such as the above, or entire pages of text that I use frequently, which can be reproduced by speaking a few pre-programed key words.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DNS differences between the premium and home editions

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »