Dragon naturally speaking with desktop mic?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:12
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2012

I have been toying with the idea of trying Dragon Naturally Speaking again, and am wondering if there is any way of using a desktop microphone rather than a headset. I would like to hear from anyone that is currently successfully using a desktop mic with Dragon (or another speech recognition program)...

DRAGON

Michael

Jason Shim
Jason Shim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 15:12
English to Korean
+ ...
I tried a desktop mic Feb 24, 2012

I tried a desktop microphone, with the mic set about 15-20 inches away from my mouth.
But you won't get as good results as a headset with mic right in front of your mouth.

Dragon's speech recognition is very sensitive to echoes I guess.
Even if I re-do the thing where you read a few paragraphs, the results from headset is much better than a desktop mic.

You're probably tired of wearing a headset all the time.

My recommendation is getting wired,
... See more
I tried a desktop microphone, with the mic set about 15-20 inches away from my mouth.
But you won't get as good results as a headset with mic right in front of your mouth.

Dragon's speech recognition is very sensitive to echoes I guess.
Even if I re-do the thing where you read a few paragraphs, the results from headset is much better than a desktop mic.

You're probably tired of wearing a headset all the time.

My recommendation is getting wired, lightweight headset,
one of those call-center style headsets or hook-over single ear-types than a typical gaming headset-type with big ear cups.
I recommend ones from Plantronics.
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 02:12
English
+ ...
Specialty desktop mics. Feb 25, 2012

I use a Speechware 3 in 1 desktop mic with excellent results. I don't like the feel of headsets, I don't like the "look". Moreover, in my work I am obliged to constantly remove and replace a headset, spoiling the critical position with each cycle.

Have a look at: http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=408&idcategory=18
... See more
I use a Speechware 3 in 1 desktop mic with excellent results. I don't like the feel of headsets, I don't like the "look". Moreover, in my work I am obliged to constantly remove and replace a headset, spoiling the critical position with each cycle.

Have a look at: http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=408&idcategory=18

M
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Desktop microphone Feb 27, 2012

I too got fed up with putting a headset on and off all the time. I just went to Amazon and bought a bog standard Logitech desktop mic for about £15, having read the reviews. It's been absolutely brilliant and I can highly recommend it.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Goodbye headphones! Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for the tip Susanna!

I have since bought a cheap Logitech desktop mic (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00009EHJV/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details ) and it works flawlessly with Dragon 11! There is also no need to spend £150 on a professional mic, it seems...

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting post on Kevin Lossner’s blog ‘Translation Tribulations’ re: Dragon + microphones Apr 15, 2014

There is an interesting post about exactly this topic over on Kevin Lossner’s blog ‘Translation Tribulations’ @ http://www.translationtribulations.com/2014/04/speech-recognition-for-translators.html

I’d be curious to see someone do a comparison of the mic I mentioned in my previous
... See more
There is an interesting post about exactly this topic over on Kevin Lossner’s blog ‘Translation Tribulations’ @ http://www.translationtribulations.com/2014/04/speech-recognition-for-translators.html

I’d be curious to see someone do a comparison of the mic I mentioned in my previous post and the professional ones recommended on www.knowbrainer.com

Michael

[Edited at 2014-04-15 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon naturally speaking with desktop mic?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »