Dragon naturally speaking with desktop mic?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:06
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2012

I have been toying with the idea of trying Dragon Naturally Speaking again, and am wondering if there is any way of using a desktop microphone rather than a headset. I would like to hear from anyone that is currently successfully using a desktop mic with Dragon (or another speech recognition program)...

DRAGON

Michael

Jason Shim
Jason Shim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 03:06
English to Korean
+ ...
I tried a desktop mic Feb 24, 2012

I tried a desktop microphone, with the mic set about 15-20 inches away from my mouth.
But you won't get as good results as a headset with mic right in front of your mouth.

Dragon's speech recognition is very sensitive to echoes I guess.
Even if I re-do the thing where you read a few paragraphs, the results from headset is much better than a desktop mic.

You're probably tired of wearing a headset all the time.

My recommendation is getting wired,
... See more
I tried a desktop microphone, with the mic set about 15-20 inches away from my mouth.
But you won't get as good results as a headset with mic right in front of your mouth.

Dragon's speech recognition is very sensitive to echoes I guess.
Even if I re-do the thing where you read a few paragraphs, the results from headset is much better than a desktop mic.

You're probably tired of wearing a headset all the time.

My recommendation is getting wired, lightweight headset,
one of those call-center style headsets or hook-over single ear-types than a typical gaming headset-type with big ear cups.
I recommend ones from Plantronics.
Collapse

Michael Barnett
Michael Barnett
Local time: 14:06
English
+ ...
Specialty desktop mics. Feb 25, 2012

I use a Speechware 3 in 1 desktop mic with excellent results. I don't like the feel of headsets, I don't like the "look". Moreover, in my work I am obliged to constantly remove and replace a headset, spoiling the critical position with each cycle.

Have a look at: http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=408&idcategory=18
... See more
I use a Speechware 3 in 1 desktop mic with excellent results. I don't like the feel of headsets, I don't like the "look". Moreover, in my work I am obliged to constantly remove and replace a headset, spoiling the critical position with each cycle.

Have a look at: http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=408&idcategory=18

M
Collapse

Susanna Garcia
Susanna Garcia  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Desktop microphone Feb 27, 2012

I too got fed up with putting a headset on and off all the time. I just went to Amazon and bought a bog standard Logitech desktop mic for about £15, having read the reviews. It's been absolutely brilliant and I can highly recommend it.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Goodbye headphones! Mar 6, 2012

Thanks for the tip Susanna!

I have since bought a cheap Logitech desktop mic (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00009EHJV/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details ) and it works flawlessly with Dragon 11! There is also no need to spend £150 on a professional mic, it seems...

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting post on Kevin Lossner’s blog ‘Translation Tribulations’ re: Dragon + microphones Apr 15, 2014

There is an interesting post about exactly this topic over on Kevin Lossner’s blog ‘Translation Tribulations’ @ http://www.translationtribulations.com/2014/04/speech-recognition-for-translators.html

I’d be curious to see someone do a comparison of the mic I mentioned in my previous
... See more
There is an interesting post about exactly this topic over on Kevin Lossner’s blog ‘Translation Tribulations’ @ http://www.translationtribulations.com/2014/04/speech-recognition-for-translators.html

I’d be curious to see someone do a comparison of the mic I mentioned in my previous post and the professional ones recommended on www.knowbrainer.com

Michael

[Edited at 2014-04-15 14:01 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon naturally speaking with desktop mic?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »