Please recommend me a headset!
Thread poster: Chris S

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Nov 14, 2013

Hi, I'm after a decent wired headset as mine is deteriorating fast - any advice?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:01
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Just my experience Nov 14, 2013

I bought a Sennheiser PC 360 G4ME about a year ago. I was not too happy at first because the cups felt less comfortable than the over-the-ear model I had before. Maybe I have a big head, but I also felt that the headset squeezed me too hard.

After this time using it, I have to say that I am happy about the quality in terms of recording and voice recognition. There are also two things I have also learned to value: automatic switch off of the microphone when you fold it back, and volume control with a very handy flat knob in the right-hand cup.

Werner Walther  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Headset Nov 14, 2013

Sennheiser (Germany) or Andrea (USA),

many, many others are insufficient for speech recognition requirements.

Have a look at their websites, but look for speech recognition headsets.

Good luck, sincerely,

W.W.

neilmac  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Surprise, surprise Nov 14, 2013

I know I have a Sennheiser headset, which is very good and I bought on a friend's recommendation, but I just looked and was surprised to find the one I'm using right now is a Logitech with USB plug (non-USB types tend to be cheaper). I wonder where the Sennheiser is now, maybe it's on my laptop bag, I must have a look for it later.

[Edited at 2013-11-14 16:00 GMT]

PS: my last two edits were due to hurried typing, not VRicon_smile.gif

[Edited at 2013-11-14 16:01 GMT]

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
. Nov 14, 2013

I assume your question relates to dictation. I've used several different headsets with Dragon Naturally Speaking, and they all work equally well, no matter how cheap or flimsy.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Sennheiser monaural PC21 Nov 15, 2013

with 2 jacks. Recognition is all right and it's light. Unfortunately, no mute/volume control on the wire.
The choice is limited if you can't stand having both ears covered when you work.

Philippe

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I use a cheapie Nov 15, 2013

Chris S wrote:
Hi, I'm after a decent wired headset as mine is deteriorating fast - any advice?

I use this one:
http://www.eminent-online.com/en/product/128/em3561-headset-with-microphone.html

It has a 2 m cable and a volume control, and it produces very good sound, and although it sits on the ears (not over the ears) it does not hurt my ears even after several hours of having had it on (I also wear glasses, so on-ear head phones tend to hurt my ears quicker than glasses-less people).

The only downside of this headset is that the cable tends to curl, so you have to unplug it and uncurl it at the start of the day.

Tom Hamilton
Local time: 12:01
English
Wired Headset recommendation/advice Nov 18, 2013

"Hi, I'm after a decent wired headset as mine is deteriorating fast - any advice?"

The three most important things to consider when picking out a wired headset microphone for use with speech recognition are accuracy, noise cancellation and comfort. All microphones are not created equal when it comes to speech recognition, gaming microphones should be avoided. Logitech microphones are historically bad performers. The microphone should be USB whether the soundcard is hardwired to the microphone or the microphone is plugged into an external USB soundcard. The microphone should then be plugged into a USB port of the back of a desktop computer as they have the most shielding and are dedicated USB ports rather than split. On laptop and tablet computers any USB port will do. Always avoid USB hubs or USB ports on monitors or keyboards etc. as they yield poor results. This speech recognition microphone comparison chart shows compares the current best microphones for speech recognition. http://www.knowbrainer.com/core/pages/miccompare.cfm

In my opinion currently the best wired headset microphone is the SpeechWare FlexyMike http://www.knowbrainer.com/NewStore/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=458&idcategory=17 . SpeechWare actually designs their microphones for speech recognition and they are incredibly diligent in making the best microphones for speech recognition on the market. The have already taken over the market for desktop microphones with their TableMike line and I suspect they will do the same with the wired headset market as well.

Chris S  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 4, 2013

belatedly (sorry!) for your suggestions.

I have ordered a cheapie and will see how I go

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please recommend me a headset!

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search