https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/294815-im_currently_answering_questions_in_qa_session_%22adding_speech_to_text_to_your_workflow%22_on_tm_town.html

I'm currently answering questions in Q&A session "Adding Speech to Text to Your Workflow" on TM-Town
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nov 19, 2015

I am currently answering questions in the TM-Town Expert Translator Q&A session "Adding Speech to Text to Your Workflow", which started today and runs until this Saturday (November 21).

The event is now live and you can start asking questions.

There are actually 3 events starting
... See more
I am currently answering questions in the TM-Town Expert Translator Q&A session "Adding Speech to Text to Your Workflow", which started today and runs until this Saturday (November 21).

The event is now live and you can start asking questions.

There are actually 3 events starting today:

How and Why You Should Mentor
Exclusive Q&A with CafeTran Creator
*** Adding Speech to Text to Your Workflow ***

Feel free to ask me anything you want about speech recognition, Dragon, CAT tools and translation, etc., and I will do my best to answer!

I just answered my first question @ Adding Speech to Text to Your Workflow, and will try to answer the rest ASAP!

Michael

[Edited at 2015-11-19 20:31 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 04:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dragon enigmas Nov 19, 2015

For some reason, I can't seem to get Dragon to write "Net" or "Next" at the start of a sentence, and always end up having to type it in manually.

Also, although my working pair is ES-EN, it seems to sometimes mistake the odd word for a command in Spanish; it did so earlier today when I said something (can't remember the exact words) which must have sounded slightly like "cerrar" (close in Spanish), as it tried to close the document.

Not exactly world shattering blips, I
... See more
For some reason, I can't seem to get Dragon to write "Net" or "Next" at the start of a sentence, and always end up having to type it in manually.

Also, although my working pair is ES-EN, it seems to sometimes mistake the odd word for a command in Spanish; it did so earlier today when I said something (can't remember the exact words) which must have sounded slightly like "cerrar" (close in Spanish), as it tried to close the document.

Not exactly world shattering blips, I know, but it would be nice to know how to get it to write Net/Next, as it crops up quite often.
Collapse

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Neil, Nov 19, 2015

neilmac wrote:

Not exactly world shattering blips, I know, but it would be nice to know how to get it to write Net/Next, as it crops up quite often.

If you work from Spanish into English, I assume you dictate in English, and use the English version of Dragon, right? I don't understand why your Dragon would be recognising Spanish commands.

But yes, Dragon has quite a few of those strange bugs, although I myself have never seen the one resulting in an inability to start a sentence with Net or Next. Let me try ...

Next time I will try the word "net".
Net is a strange word to start a sentence with.

Both work fine here (I dictated the previous two sentences)!

The next time you say the word "Net" or "Next" at the beginning of a sentence, immediately afterwards say "Show recognition history", to see what Dragon actually recognised.

Michael

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
PS: Nov 19, 2015

I will be answering more of the questions in the Q&A session ASAP (just trying to get a small job finished)!

Michael

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
No time now,.... Nov 19, 2015

but is it recorded, so I can have a look at it another time? Sounds more than interesting.

Ongelovige Robert

[Edited at 2015-11-19 20:39 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
not a webinar (video) but a web page Nov 19, 2015

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

but is it recorded, so I can have a look at it another time? Sounds more than interesting.

Ongelovige Robert

[Edited at 2015-11-19 20:39 GMT]

This time it's not a webinar (video) but a web page, where people can ask me written questions, which I will then try to answer ASAP. I'm not entirely sure how it works yet (these Q&A sessions are a new thing on TM-Town), but I think that people can only ask the questions within the allotted two day time period, but I don't necessarily have to answer all questions within that time.

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Thank you Nov 19, 2015

I'll keep it in mind.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
And another... Nov 20, 2015

[quote]Michael Beijer wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Thanks Michael, Ill try that out. Here's another similar bug I've encountered this morning - when I try to dictate "tweaked" it assumes I mean "tweet" and the twitter interface box pops up. I've tried adding it to the vocabulary, but no joy. (PS I don't use Twitter, ever).

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
check under "Tools > Options > Commands > More commands" Nov 20, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

neilmac wrote:

Thanks Michael, Ill try that out. Here's another similar bug I've encountered this morning - when I try to dictate "tweaked" it assumes I mean "tweet" and the twitter interface box pops up. I've tried adding it to the vocabulary, but no joy. (PS I don't use Twitter, ever).

Go to Tools > Options > Commands > More commands, and deselect the Facebook and Twitter checkboxes.

It is also a good idea to check under Tools > Options > Commands, and deselect anything you think that you will not be using. As a rule, the more commands you deselect in Dragon, the less chances you will have that something strange will happen by mistake. The trick is to activate only what you need, and no more.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 10:51 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I just answered some more of your questions (only one left)! Nov 20, 2015

… if anyone has any other questions, please feel free to ask them now!

Michael

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks for the heads up! Nov 20, 2015

Michael Beijer wrote:

Go to Tools > Options > Commands > More commands, and deselect the Facebook and Twitter checkboxes.

It is also a good idea to check under Tools > Options > Commands, and deselect anything you think that you will not be using. As a rule, the more commands you deselect in Dragon, the less chances you will have that something strange will happen by mistake. The trick is to activate only what you need, and no more.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 10:51 GMT]

Thanks for the info. I've actually never gotten round to looking at all the functions etc, so I'll do that now.
Cheers

PS: Just tried that and I don't seem to have the More commands option - the version I'm using is 11.5. No worries though, it's not a serious issue.
I've actually just bought a copy of Premium v.13, which I plan to install in one of my laptops first, but before I do that I need to reinstall my OS, as for some reason it won't let me open the version of Dragon I have on that laptop. Nor will it let me uninstall it, due to some problem with the installation package. If I have time I'll get that done next week, and if I like how it works on the laptop, I'll install it on my main PC, but for now I'll just soldier on with version 11.5, warts and all. Thanks again for the tips.

[Edited at 2015-11-20 19:00 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I'm currently answering questions in Q&A session "Adding Speech to Text to Your Workflow" on TM-Town

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »