https://www.proz.com/forum/speech_recognition/49411-dragon_voice_recognition%3A_euro_signs.html

Dragon Voice Recognition: euro signs
Thread poster: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 01:26
German to English
+ ...
Jun 14, 2006

Dear all,

I have the latest Preferred Version of Dragon Voice Recognition software and am relatively new to it. I use it for translating into English (from French and German), usually in combination with Trados.

There are a couple of general questions I would like to ask that I haven't been able to sort out myself. If anyone has a couple of minutes to put me straight, that would be very much appreciated.

(1) How can I get the program to give me the euro for
... See more
Dear all,

I have the latest Preferred Version of Dragon Voice Recognition software and am relatively new to it. I use it for translating into English (from French and German), usually in combination with Trados.

There are a couple of general questions I would like to ask that I haven't been able to sort out myself. If anyone has a couple of minutes to put me straight, that would be very much appreciated.

(1) How can I get the program to give me the euro form I want, e.g. "€1,002.30" rather than "1,000 point 2 euros" or something equally horrible?

(2) How can I get the program to give me a long dash rather than two hyphens together when I say "dash"?

(3) How can I get the program to give me nice curly quotation marks rather than straight ones?

Many thanks!

Ian
Collapse

Suzanne Blangsted (X)
Suzanne Blangsted (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:26
Danish to English
+ ...
dragon talk Jun 14, 2006

Whenever I had a problem with the Dragon recognizing what I wanted when I gave a command in "plain" talk, I would go to the training module, type in what I wanted and then give it a "goofy" name, i.e., a name that I would not normally use for anything else. Ex.: When the Dragon repeatedly gave me a result I did not want, I would enter the result I wanted in the training module and use a totally different sound. You could enter the long dash in the training module and then call it "long dash" a... See more
Whenever I had a problem with the Dragon recognizing what I wanted when I gave a command in "plain" talk, I would go to the training module, type in what I wanted and then give it a "goofy" name, i.e., a name that I would not normally use for anything else. Ex.: When the Dragon repeatedly gave me a result I did not want, I would enter the result I wanted in the training module and use a totally different sound. You could enter the long dash in the training module and then call it "long dash" and sound it off like that. You could enter enter your euros as "euro sign" and then after that enter the amount digitally by stating "number sign" and then give the numbers. Enter the quotation marks in the training module as curley quotation marks and call them f.ex. "curley quotes". The Dragon will do whatever you tell it to do and the fun part is to make up your own script whenever the Dragon "mistakes" what it is you want.

You should have a manual with the Dragon that instructs you on how to "make up sound" to get the end result you want.
Collapse

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Configure these options outside Dragon Jun 14, 2006

[quote]Ian Winick wrote:

(1) How can I get the program to give me the euro form I want, e.g. "€1,002.30" rather than "1,000 point 2 euros" or something equally horrible?

(3) How can I get the program to give me nice curly quotation marks rather than straight ones?

These are not configured in Dragon.
Default output format for numbers is configured in the Configuration panel, when you choose your language settings (there is a default output which you can customize).

Curly quotation marks are chosen in Word, in Format > Auto-correct options >AutoFormat as you type>"Straight Quotes with smart quotes"

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:26
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Configuring outside Dragon not the whole solution. Jun 15, 2006

Although I have Word set to convert straight quotes to smart quotes, quotes put into a Word document by DNS as quotes remain straight quotes.
There is no way that I know of getting Word to correct all straight quotes to smart quotes in a single operation (though there may be one).
You cannot type smart quotes or a euro sign into the DNS Words > View/Edit fields. Nor can you type a euro sign into Autocorrect in Word. You can paste one in there, but it doesn't work.
I use DNS b
... See more
Although I have Word set to convert straight quotes to smart quotes, quotes put into a Word document by DNS as quotes remain straight quotes.
There is no way that I know of getting Word to correct all straight quotes to smart quotes in a single operation (though there may be one).
You cannot type smart quotes or a euro sign into the DNS Words > View/Edit fields. Nor can you type a euro sign into Autocorrect in Word. You can paste one in there, but it doesn't work.
I use DNS but it doesn't bother me to have to type in smart quotes and euro signs manually. But for someone who uses it because they are unable to type at all, these things must be a problem.

[Edited at 2006-06-15 00:51]
Collapse

Dees
Dees  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:26
English to French
+ ...
Smart quotes Jun 15, 2006

Hello,

You can use the Search/Replace function in Word to replace all your straight quotes by smart quotes in a text by the click of a button. In the Search/Replace box, type in ' in both spaces even though they look exactly the same there.

[Edited at 2006-06-15 11:37]

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Me too... Jun 18, 2006

Hi all,

I'm in a situation similar to Ian's. I just started working with Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 8.1 about two days ago (English to German). So far, I'm quite surprised at how good the program is, but there are a few issues I could use some help on (I'd rather ask here than trawl through the manual or the online help):

1) When I use Dragon in conjunction with Trados, I always have to tell the Dragon to capitalise the first word of a new segment. Is there a
... See more
Hi all,

I'm in a situation similar to Ian's. I just started working with Dragon Naturally Speaking Preferred 8.1 about two days ago (English to German). So far, I'm quite surprised at how good the program is, but there are a few issues I could use some help on (I'd rather ask here than trawl through the manual or the online help):

1) When I use Dragon in conjunction with Trados, I always have to tell the Dragon to capitalise the first word of a new segment. Is there a way around this?

2) I usually close a finished segment by pressing Alt + Num+ to save the translation and open/get the next segment. When I want to do so using Dragon, I have to say (in German) "Press Alt key numerical pad plus", which is quite awkward if you have to repeat it every few seconds. Is there a way to assign a shorter speech command to this in Dragon, e.g. "bing", or whatever? I fear that it's only possible in the Professional version, not in the Preferred version...

And one more thing that's a little annoying - Dragon only works with Outlook Express, not with the regular Outlook. I can still type my e-mails using Dragon, of course, but I can't tell my computer to send or receive e-mails, forward them, delete them, etc. Same thing with Mozilla Firefox.
Collapse

IanW (X)
IanW (X)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I can help you with 1 Jun 19, 2006

Jalapeno wrote:

1) When I use Dragon in conjunction with Trados, I always have to tell the Dragon to capitalise the first word of a new segment. Is there a way around this?

Hi there,

Yes, if you hide the source text (in the German version: Extra/Optionen/Formatierungzeichen - unclick everything), that should happen automatically.

All the best

Ian

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
English to German
Thanks! Jun 22, 2006

Thanks, Ian, that did the trick. Even though I usually prefer seeing both Source and Target segments, but I can live with that.

Is there anyone with the Professional version who could tell me if 2) can be solved in that version? Might be enough for me to upgrade ...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dragon Voice Recognition: euro signs

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »